G

Hello!

I've come across a couple posts (DOA Motherboard thread for example) that made reference to some rules to follow when choosing what PCI slot to put a certain card in.

For example, Ncognito stated (in that same thread):
2) When you say nic is in slot 2 do you mean that it is in the first pci slot and your video card is in the agp slot? this is a big no no if that is the case.

Heck, I didn't know it mattered!

Can anybody point me in the direction (or just explain right here would be good too!) of anything that lays down these guidelines? In the past I've just picked any old PCI slot to put PCI cards into.

Thanks!

z

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It depends on your motherboard. Usually when you buy the motherboard it should come with a manual that will tell you what PCI slots share resources. You want to put a NIC on a slot that doesn't share with anything, if you can, since NIC's tend to be picky about IRQ's and sharing. It is also a good idea to put your sound card in a slot that doesn't share with anything. Every motherboard is different on what PCI slots share with other PCI slots or system resources.
You can put a NIC or a sound card in a slot that is shared, but if you can avoid it, you will most likely have less problems with it.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
also... i never put a PCI card in the slot adjacent to the AGP card... there just isnt enough room for the graphics cards fan to effectivly circulate air.
and later you could put a bigger fan on if overclocking.

thats all i have to add

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars