HP Omnibook 6000 Model Number Comparison Needed

What are the differences between all the model numbers for the HP
Omnibook 6000? I am specifically interested in the F2087KT, but I
notice that they also have the following: F2087WV F2087WU F2087WT
F2087WR F2087WG F2087W F2087KV F2087KU F2087KT F2087KR F2087KG F2087K

Is there some type of simple code that explains the differences?

Thank you!

"ransom" <jeffsmith99@ureach.com> writes:

>What are the differences between all the model numbers for the HP
>Omnibook 6000? I am specifically interested in the F2087KT, but I
>notice that they also have the following: F2087WV F2087WU F2087WT
>F2087WR F2087WG F2087W F2087KV F2087KU F2087KT F2087KR F2087KG F2087K

>Is there some type of simple code that explains the differences?

I'm not sure if there's a complete list of them, but (usually?) the
fifth (and sixth if it exists) character of the HP computer model
numbers represents the software that was shipped from the factory.

In your case, the "KT" at the end of the model number says that the
unit was shipped with Windows 2000 -- and unless someone removed it,
the COA with the product ID should still be attached. Of course,
whether the original media is available is something you'll have to
negotiate with the seller.

I'm not sure what the distinction is between KT and KG, which also
is used for W2K. Some difference in the bundled software is likely
but I don't know the details.

While we're on the subject, the HP model numbers also include an
additional suffix following a hashmark. The most common is "ABA",
which means "US English", so your actual model number might appear
as F2087KT#ABA.

Joe Morris

On the seventh day, Joe Morris wrote...

> "ransom" <jeffsmith99@ureach.com> writes:
>
>> What are the differences between all the model numbers for the HP
>> Omnibook 6000? I am specifically interested in the F2087KT, but I
>> notice that they also have the following: F2087WV F2087WU F2087WT
>> F2087WR F2087WG F2087W F2087KV F2087KU F2087KT F2087KR F2087KG F2087K
>
>> Is there some type of simple code that explains the differences?
>
> I'm not sure if there's a complete list of them, but (usually?) the
> fifth (and sixth if it exists) character of the HP computer model
> numbers represents the software that was shipped from the factory.
>
> In your case, the "KT" at the end of the model number says that the
> unit was shipped with Windows 2000 -- and unless someone removed it,
> the COA with the product ID should still be attached. Of course,
> whether the original media is available is something you'll have to
> negotiate with the seller.
>
> I'm not sure what the distinction is between KT and KG, which also
> is used for W2K. Some difference in the bundled software is likely
> but I don't know the details.
>
> While we're on the subject, the HP model numbers also include an
> additional suffix following a hashmark. The most common is "ABA",
> which means "US English", so your actual model number might appear
> as F2087KT#ABA.

I've also been told on ITRC that three device revisions (A, B, C) exist.
Can you tell which revision if you look at the model no.?

You call this relaxing? I'm a nervous wreck. If I'm not careful
I'll end up talking to myself. - McCoy, "Star Trek V"

Christian <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> writes:
>On the seventh day, Joe Morris wrote...
>> "ransom" <jeffsmith99@ureach.com> writes:

>>> What are the differences between all the model numbers for the HP
>>> Omnibook 6000? I am specifically interested in the F2087KT, but I
>>> notice that they also have the following: F2087WV F2087WU F2087WT
>>> F2087WR F2087WG F2087W F2087KV F2087KU F2087KT F2087KR F2087KG F2087K

>>> Is there some type of simple code that explains the differences?

>> I'm not sure if there's a complete list of them, but (usually?) the
>> fifth (and sixth if it exists) character of the HP computer model
>> numbers represents the software that was shipped from the factory.
[snip]

>I've also been told on ITRC that three device revisions (A, B, C) exist.
>Can you tell which revision if you look at the model no.?

It took me a couple of days to find him, but according to an ex-HP
sales-support engineer, minor board revisions that weren't dramatic
enough to justify a new model number (e.g., OB6000 vs. OB6100) were
not reflected in the model number...so there's no way to tell
without physical inspection which version is being offered unless
you can somehow find a way to map serial numbers to the use of
specific board revs.

This is consistent with my experience; my shop bought OB6000 laptops
for most of their new-production life and I don't recall any
distinctions in the nomenclature that reflected board revisions.

Joe Morris

TRENDING THREADS