Sorry_if_this_is_a_really_stupid_

Si

Hi,

I have a desktop PC connected (via a linksys network card) over
Ethernet with a wireless G Broadband router (i.e. Linksys WRT54G) in
order to access the internet.

I also have a laptop connected wirelessly (via a Linksys WPC54G
PCMCIA card) with the same router and internet connection.

My question, is whether I can (with my existing setup) get the two
computers to share files. In particular, I would like to access the
files on the desktop PC, from the laptop

If so, how do I do it ?

If not, what else do I need ?

I am grateful for any help received !
Thanks

P.S. Both machines are running Xp

You need to share the drives on each machine, my computer, open, right
click and then share.
You will also need to have exactly the same name and password on each,
and then logon onto each with it.
You MAY have to disable the firewall, depends on many things.

Si wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a desktop PC connected (via a linksys network card) over
> Ethernet with a wireless G Broadband router (i.e. Linksys WRT54G) in
> order to access the internet.
>
> I also have a laptop connected wirelessly (via a Linksys WPC54G
> PCMCIA card) with the same router and internet connection.
>
> My question, is whether I can (with my existing setup) get the two
> computers to share files. In particular, I would like to access the
> files on the desktop PC, from the laptop
>
> If so, how do I do it ?
>
> If not, what else do I need ?
>
> I am grateful for any help received !
> Thanks
>
> P.S. Both machines are running Xp

Sure you can... you need to have both computers on the same windows
"workgroup". You can check this by going through Control
Panel->System->Computer Name ... then click on "Change". Make sure the
bullet is on "Workgroup" and make sure the name in the field is the same
on both computers (note: changing this will mean a re-start).

Now you're ready to start sharing folders. To do this right click on the
folder you want to share and select "properties". Under the "sharing"
tab you can choose to share the folder (with a share name).

Watch out firewall settings that might block communication, if you have one.

Same basic setup here,,, old desktop runs 24/7 supporting the LAN. Sit in
its chair about monthly for virus & win-critical-updates and that's it!
Occasionally use VNC to it for updates via real wires rather than wifi for
server and wifi stuff here and out there.
Laptop wirelessly runs all of the desktop programs, some of the small
quickies all of the time.