Spy's USB Drive Caused Worst US Military Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
nothing surprises me anymore.. if it was something "top secret" they wouldnt be broadcasting it in the first place.. the medias full of it..

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Deputy Secretary of Defense characterized this as "the most significant breach of U.S. military computers ever," and it marked a turning point in the U.S. cyberdefense strategy, starting with Operation Buckshot Yankee.

Lynn estimated that more than 100 foreign intelligence organizations are trying to break into U.S. networks, which presents a sizeable challenge for the military's global communications backbone, which covers 15,000 networks and 7 million computing devices in dozens of countries.

LOL WAT

So this is what it took for them to say "no flash drives from outside computers!" or maybe, just maybe, they used one of the zillion available methods to disallow flash drive usage altogether. How hard is that idea to come up with? What about sandboxing any external drive? Persistent internal firewalls? There are so many ways to stop this from happening that it defies belief. Hell, a compromised flash drive was the plot of a damn movie prior to 2008 (the Recruit, 2003) and they still didn't think it was worth safeguarding??? It's nice to see the $600 billion or so per year is well spent!

G

The best part of this is the fact there is an "Ironkey the worlds most SECURE flash drive" add right beside the comment box.

well played Ironkey.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
naah, i saw an ad for kapersky antivirus...

Btw, this is why computers connected to secure networks were not allowed to have floppy drives for years.

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]ttwerdun[/nom]The best part of this is the fact there is an "Ironkey the worlds most SECURE flash drive" add right beside the comment box.well played Ironkey.[/citation]

Really i have adds for summer's eve........ what are they trying to tell me?

G

I knew as i was posting, that it was a banner that would be diffrent for everyone. Ah well just funny for me then:D

dasper

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]rollerdisco[/nom]Really i have adds for summer's eve........ what are they trying to tell me?[/citation]
Yeah, I hate it when Google Ads tells me I am a douche.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]LOL WATSo this is what it took for them to say "no flash drives from outside computers!" or maybe, just maybe, they used one of the zillion available methods to disallow flash drive usage altogether. How hard is that idea to come up with? What about sandboxing any external drive? Persistent internal firewalls? There are so many ways to stop this from happening that it defies belief. Hell, a compromised flash drive was the plot of a damn movie prior to 2008 (the Recruit, 2003) and they still didn't think it was worth safeguarding??? It's nice to see the $600 billion or so per year is well spent![/citation]
See, what you neglect to account for is the senior guy at the U.S. Central Command that demanded he have unfettered access to the internet AND the secured networks. Plus, he absolutely needed to be able to hook up flash drives, because he needed to print off his daughters school project and his printer at home was on the fritz. The number one reason network security fails is the users, not some outside threat that is attacking said network.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I just thought of a related anecdote. I used to work with some guys that eventually moved on to work at one of the national labs in ABQ. They had a security briefing about all sorts of things not allowed on the facility (anything that can record audio, video, etc...), CDs, floppy discs, mp3 players. Employees were issued company cell phones, they were not allowed to bring their own into the facility. During the meeting, someone in the audience stood up and asked the senior security agent "What about these?" and held up a USB flash drive. Of course, the security agent didn't even know what it was. So yeah, our national security and secrets are in good hands for sure.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Now that sounds like a real modern spy story. This thing with the Russians earlier this year sounded more like a crackdown on spy retirement plans.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
That is why you keep your tech people out of the general military population. ITpro's with above average skills don't want to put on a pair of boots and get a ass chewing by some Idiot on a power trip for 8 weeks just to keep the servers secure.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]liquidchild[/nom]That is why you keep your tech people out of the general military population. ITpro's with above average skills don't want to put on a pair of boots and get a ass chewing by some Idiot on a power trip for 8 weeks just to keep the servers secure.[/citation]
Too True. You can't "SIR YES SIR" your way to good information security; it's like trying to order an army team to make a painting or write good fiction; it's incredibly multidisciplinary and just because someone can do 100 pushups doesn't mean they can secure a network.

christop

Distinguished
Let me guess they found the drive on the ground in the camp and plugged it in to see who it belonged to. People should know better than to just plug a drive in and not know whats on it.

trkorecky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]How hard is that idea to come up with? What about sandboxing any external drive? Persistent internal firewalls? There are so many ways to stop this from happening that it defies belief.[/citation]

There also are as many ways to evade protection and break things as there are to stop this from happening. If you can make it you can break it.

One creative, out-of-the-box idea can make those protections completely useless. How else do you think security breaches are still so common?

Status
Not open for further replies.