Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have two systems here I can use for a clients entertainment system, one is a Compaq with VIA chipset and SDRAM, the other has a nice Biostar VX chipset motherboard with EDO. Both would be using a Radeon PCI video card.

This is really a motherboard question-since the BIOSTAR uses an Intel chipset, but the Compaq uses a VIA chipset, both are old, and either will be using a K6-2 at 400MHz (6x66).

I know that the SDRAM is faster, but that Compaqs are notoriously slow, and that the VX chipset (on the Biostar) might have better PCI data flow than the VIA (on the Compaq) but is stradled with EDO. So it's a tradoff between memory type and chipset performance.

My main concern is output to the Video card and associated system performance, so which would be better? Taking into account how much better the VX is than the old VIA, and how much better SDRAM is than EDO, and how much negative impact Compaq bios will have on the whole system campared to Award bios on the Biostar system.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I always thought that EDO ram was equal to PC66 SDRAM or even slower. No matter what the chipset, if the processor speeds are the same and the amount of ram is the same, the SDRAM system will be faster.
Just my opinion.

Back off man, I'm a scientist

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you really expect someone to know the answer to your questions? If some one does I will be very surprised. It sounds like to me you have the answer in front of you. It just takes some time testing each motherboard. I am assuming you have some of each memory laying around, enough to run a few bench marks. Let us know if you do.
Cya

<font color=red>There are only 2 types of hard drives. Ones that have crashed and ones that are about to.</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Therein is where the problem lies-the Biostar board should have far better PCI performance, while the Comcrap should have somewhat better memory performance, but HOW MUCH is what I don't know! Yes, the Comcrap uses the SDRAM at PC66.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine