level-up question

RJ

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

first off i want to say hi as this is my first post here.

okay, now on to my question. is it a bad thing to level-up my
attributes too fast? i know it's always been said to be better if
you can get x5 multipliers by the time you level-up to get the most
out of levelling up. well, i've been able to do so most of the time,
except of course for luck which im also increasing.

the thing is, now im at about only level 25 and already my
attributes are almost all on their way to 100. they'd probably all
be at 100 (except for luck) before i even get to level 40 if i keep
up my getting x5 multipliers all the time. what happens then? can i
no longer level up because my attributes have reached their limit
even if my major and minor skills still level-up? and what happens
with my luck attribute if it still isnt at 100 while every other
attribute is already at 100? i mean, you get to level up three
attributes at every level-up but what will happen when i only have
luck left to level-up and so i only use 1 counter? normally, you
cant level up while you havent used all three counters, so what
happens then?

and in exchange for anyone's help in this i offer my method of how i
managed a x5 multiplier pretty much all the time. :) i dont know if
this is old news already or what but i have yet to see it mentioned
by anyone so here goes.

dont underestimate misc skills. train them up MANUALLY and they will
contribute to the multiplier. for example, i had spear as a misc skill
which contributes to endurance and so i needed to raise it by ten
levels and thus i get a x5 for endurance. meanwhile i have long blade
as a major skill which i also raise by ten levels and so i am ready to
level up with x5 to endurance and strength. and you can do the same
thing to another misc skill beforehand to get another x5 in another
attribute but i suggest using it on luck instead since it will
definitely get left behind what with the fast increase of all the
other attributes.

that is just one example, you can use many other combinations to get
this effect such as 3 points of acrobatics and 7 points of hand to
hand, both misc then 7 points of strength and 3 points of short blade,
both major/minor skill so it would be time to level up but still
notice that the actual total from both misc and major/minor points
would be 10 for strength and 10 for speed which computes to x5 to both
attributes when you do leve-up.

of course the downside to this is that it can take quite a long time
to raise the misc skill concerned by ten levels once they're pretty
high already. which is why i also suggest that you keep more than
one skill for the same attribute as a misc skill, such as having
both spear and medium or heavy armor as misc so when it gets too
tiring to level up one you can switch to leveling up the other.
eventually however you will just have to be patient once you reach
higher level swith your skills since it always has to be, i repeat,
manually raised unlike major and minor skills which contribute even
if you just train them.

"rj" <rjdjdaw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> first off i want to say hi as this is my first post here.
>
> okay, now on to my question. is it a bad thing to level-up my
> attributes too fast? i know it's always been said to be better if
> you can get x5 multipliers by the time you level-up to get the most
> out of levelling up. well, i've been able to do so most of the time,
> except of course for luck which im also increasing.
>
> the thing is, now im at about only level 25 and already my
> attributes are almost all on their way to 100. they'd probably all
> be at 100 (except for luck) before i even get to level 40 if i keep
> up my getting x5 multipliers all the time. what happens then? can i
> no longer level up because my attributes have reached their limit
> even if my major and minor skills still level-up? and what happens
> with my luck attribute if it still isnt at 100 while every other
> attribute is already at 100? i mean, you get to level up three
> attributes at every level-up but what will happen when i only have
> luck left to level-up and so i only use 1 counter? normally, you
> cant level up while you havent used all three counters, so what
> happens then?

When you have less than three attributes to raise, then you will have only
as many levelers as you have skills left. You can also continue to level
when all are at 100.

> and in exchange for anyone's help in this i offer my method of how i
> managed a x5 multiplier pretty much all the time. :) i dont know if
> this is old news already or what but i have yet to see it mentioned
> by anyone so here goes.

You have a good way of getting 5 multipliers. My characters are usually
magic users or wood elves so none of the endurance skills are theirs. I
train in them from time to time and my latest Breton Mage has a 92 there at
level 32. Beyond that most of the time I let the skills come as they will
and have few fives (except when on occasion she trains her magic skills).
This makes for a weaker character but more interesting I think.

Thirinel

> dont underestimate misc skills. train them up MANUALLY and they will
> contribute to the multiplier. for example, i had spear as a misc skill
> which contributes to endurance and so i needed to raise it by ten
> levels and thus i get a x5 for endurance. meanwhile i have long blade
> as a major skill which i also raise by ten levels and so i am ready to
> level up with x5 to endurance and strength. and you can do the same
> thing to another misc skill beforehand to get another x5 in another
> attribute but i suggest using it on luck instead since it will
> definitely get left behind what with the fast increase of all the
> other attributes.
>
> that is just one example, you can use many other combinations to get
> this effect such as 3 points of acrobatics and 7 points of hand to
> hand, both misc then 7 points of strength and 3 points of short blade,
> both major/minor skill so it would be time to level up but still
> notice that the actual total from both misc and major/minor points
> would be 10 for strength and 10 for speed which computes to x5 to both
> attributes when you do leve-up.
>
> of course the downside to this is that it can take quite a long time
> to raise the misc skill concerned by ten levels once they're pretty
> high already. which is why i also suggest that you keep more than
> one skill for the same attribute as a misc skill, such as having
> both spear and medium or heavy armor as misc so when it gets too
> tiring to level up one you can switch to leveling up the other.
> eventually however you will just have to be patient once you reach
> higher level swith your skills since it always has to be, i repeat,
> manually raised unlike major and minor skills which contribute even
> if you just train them.

MERLIN

"rj" <rjdjdaw@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> [...]
> both major/minor skill so it would be time to level up but still
> notice that the actual total from both misc and major/minor points
> would be 10 for strength and 10 for speed which computes to x5 to both
> attributes when you do leve-up.
>
> of course the downside to this is that it can take quite a long time
> to raise the misc skill concerned by ten levels once they're pretty
> high already. which is why i also suggest that you keep more than
> one skill for the same attribute as a misc skill, such as having
> both spear and medium or heavy armor as misc so when it gets too
> tiring to level up one you can switch to leveling up the other.
> eventually however you will just have to be patient once you reach
> higher level swith your skills since it always has to be, i repeat,
> manually raised unlike major and minor skills which contribute even

When you have reached the limit and your levelling progress seems to come
to a standstill, find a safe spot, your house, chest, crate etc, unload all
your
inventory and commit a crime, a murder, robbery or
break-in. Let your self be arrested by the guards
and choose the "hard labor" option. When they release
you, all your attributes will havedropped considerably
but your level will not. And you can just continue levelling
as before

merlin

sarah

"ALMA ENGELS" <thirinel@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> You have a good way of getting 5 multipliers. My characters are usually
> magic users or wood elves so none of the endurance skills are theirs. I
> train in them from time to time and my latest Breton Mage has a 92 there
at
> level 32. Beyond that most of the time I let the skills come as they will
> and have few fives (except when on occasion she trains her magic skills).
> This makes for a weaker character but more interesting I think.

I do it the same way except I don't train. It does make it more interesting
and like you, I don't get many 5's (if I do, it's usually Speed).

"Merlin" <pbech@danprofit.com> wrote:

> When you have reached the limit and your levelling progress seems to come
>to a standstill, find a safe spot, your house, chest, crate etc, unload all
>your
> inventory and commit a crime, a murder, robbery or
> break-in. Let your self be arrested by the guards
> and choose the "hard labor" option. When they release
> you, all your attributes will havedropped considerably
> but your level will not. And you can just continue levelling
> as before

If all of your skills and attributes are at 100, in what way does a
character level of 90 make you better than you would be if you had a
character level of 60? In other words, if two characters both have a
Long Blade skill of 100, will the level 90 character be better with
Long Blades than the level 60 character is?

Steve W.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

In article <97i9a0p1rg4sn4ohsautpj5sghbp316u7j@4ax.com>,
Steve W. <wadding@erols.com> wrote:
> If all of your skills and attributes are at 100, in what way does a
> character level of 90 make you better than you would be if you had a
> character level of 60?

More hit points, for sure.

> In other words, if two characters both have a
> Long Blade skill of 100, will the level 90 character be better with
> Long Blades than the level 60 character is?

Unknown. I don't know if anybody has done enough testing to figure out
if character level is part of the "to hit" or damage computations.

Rick R.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Every time that you level up you get additional health points. That is one
bonus to leveling up.

"Rick Russell" <rickr@is.rice.edu> wrote in message
> In article <97i9a0p1rg4sn4ohsautpj5sghbp316u7j@4ax.com>,
> Steve W. <wadding@erols.com> wrote:
> > If all of your skills and attributes are at 100, in what way does a
> > character level of 90 make you better than you would be if you had a
> > character level of 60?
>
> More hit points, for sure.
>
> > In other words, if two characters both have a
> > Long Blade skill of 100, will the level 90 character be better with
> > Long Blades than the level 60 character is?
>
> Unknown. I don't know if anybody has done enough testing to figure out
> if character level is part of the "to hit" or damage computations.
>
> Rick R.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Fri, 14 May 2004 09:31:47 -0400, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) Steve W. <wadding@erols.com> wrote:

>"Merlin" <pbech@danprofit.com> wrote:
>
>> When you have reached the limit and your levelling progress seems to come
>>to a standstill, find a safe spot, your house, chest, crate etc, unload all
>>your
>> inventory and commit a crime, a murder, robbery or
>> break-in. Let your self be arrested by the guards
>> and choose the "hard labor" option. When they release
>> you, all your attributes will havedropped considerably
>> but your level will not. And you can just continue levelling
>> as before
>
>If all of your skills and attributes are at 100, in what way does a
>character level of 90 make you better than you would be if you had a
>character level of 60? In other words, if two characters both have a
>Long Blade skill of 100, will the level 90 character be better with
>Long Blades than the level 60 character is?
>
>Steve W.

If nothing else, your characters Hit Points go up Each time your
character gains a level, which in turn makes your character slightly
harder to kill...

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

MERLIN

"Rick Russell" <rickr@is.rice.edu> skrev i en meddelelse
> In article <97i9a0p1rg4sn4ohsautpj5sghbp316u7j@4ax.com>,
> Steve W. <wadding@erols.com> wrote:
> > If all of your skills and attributes are at 100, in what way does a
> > character level of 90 make you better than you would be if you had a
> > character level of 60?
>
> More hit points, for sure.
>
> > In other words, if two characters both have a
> > Long Blade skill of 100, will the level 90 character be better with
> > Long Blades than the level 60 character is?
>
> Unknown. I don't know if anybody has done enough testing to figure out
> if character level is part of the "to hit" or damage computations.
>
> Rick R.

The levelled creature encounters are geared to your
level. If you have installed the giants mod, eg, there are
creatures that you won't encounter, unless your level is
40+ and there are a few creatures that will need a
still higher level.

merlin