Lost service in New York City

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
October 24, 2004 10:07:04 AM

Here is a problem Verizon can't seem to solve.

I ported my land line number to my Varizon Kyocera 7135, and after 14
months of impeccable service, I lost my send and receive capabilities
in a 6 block radius of my office - which is near Grand Central Station
in New York City. The phone shows 4 bars, but sensding invokes a No
service Symbol.

Finally, a tech support fellow suggested that I switch the phone into
analog. It works that way, but I have to change the preference anew
for every call. Yuch!

An office mate of mine with an Audiovox Verizon phone is experiencing
none of my problems.

Is it possible that my old number triggered a problem just in one
specific neighborhood? I can't see how. And if Verizon is having a
tower problem, why is it affecting only my phone?

Any ideas?

More about : lost service york city

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 1:09:32 PM

Les wrote:
> Here is a problem Verizon can't seem to solve.
>
> I ported my land line number to my Varizon Kyocera 7135, and after 14
> months of impeccable service, I lost my send and receive capabilities
> in a 6 block radius of my office - which is near Grand Central Station
> in New York City. The phone shows 4 bars, but sensding invokes a No
> service Symbol.
>
> Finally, a tech support fellow suggested that I switch the phone into
> analog. It works that way, but I have to change the preference anew
> for every call. Yuch!
>
> An office mate of mine with an Audiovox Verizon phone is experiencing
> none of my problems.
>
> Is it possible that my old number triggered a problem just in one
> specific neighborhood? I can't see how. And if Verizon is having a
> tower problem, why is it affecting only my phone?
>
> Any ideas?

Hmmmm, sounds like someone is running a celphone jammer!
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 1:09:33 PM

<selectively snipped>
> Les wrote:
> Here is a problem Verizon can't seem to solve.
>
> I ported my land line number to my Varizon Kyocera 7135, and after 14
> months of impeccable service, I lost my send and receive capabilities
> in a 6 block radius of my office

> An office mate of mine with an Audiovox Verizon phone is experiencing
> none of my problems.
>
> Is it possible that my old number triggered a problem just in one
> specific neighborhood? I can't see how. And if Verizon is having a
> tower problem, why is it affecting only my phone?
>
> Any ideas?

Lets see, an old phone has problems, but a new phone doesn't... Ever
consider it may be the phone? Why not swap ESN's and try it with another
phone? Most repair places will give you a loaner and swap esn's while yours
is in for service.
<sarcasm on>Of course, the 7135 is rather expensive and everyone knows that
expensive stuff works forever and never breaks...<sarcasm off>
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 6:12:36 PM

x-no-archive:yes
>From: ldreier@yahoo.com (Les):
"...Any ideas?"...

Sounds like the cell site in the area is having problems, or is down.
Analog capability hasn't been required to be installed in new cell sites of
existing areas for years now, so chances are that analog works because you are
getting the analog signal from a different site.
If your phone works everywhere but that particular 4 block radius, I doubt it
is your phone or phone number as the cause.
Verizon has been installing additional PCS channels in the NY/NJ market over
the past few months, & many people in the area have noticed temporary "quirks"
that last between a day & a week or so, as they work on the sites &
install/exchange antennas.....
!