Catalyst 10.8 Brings SC2 AA; Hints at Future GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mottamort

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Quite impressed with the fact that they can still squeeze out performance gains on 4xxx series cards. Although i'm sure NVidia fan's will claim its cause the drivers are bad at first and they only get better in time. Oh well, an improvement is an improvement :)

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I'm just waiting for a cheaper 5870 after the new series comes out. Picked up dual 4870s for $129 a pop after the 5870 was released :p

daship

Distinguished
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]This will be a crushing blow to Nvidia unless they do something drastic with their line of GPUs.[/citation]

They will just rebrand like always, lol.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Now maybe I can play the mafia 2 demo without it hanging my computer? And how many 5800 series crossfire configurations need improvement on the source engine?

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]cappster[/nom]Now maybe I can play the mafia 2 demo without it hanging my computer? And how many 5800 series crossfire configurations need improvement on the source engine?[/citation]
Source engine? The old HL2 engine? You must have a weak GPU to actually want improvement.....even my useless HD3200 can max it out.....my 4870 doesnt even show an increase in temperature :p

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007

I am not sure what you are saying dude :scratching head: I don't understand why a 5800 series crossfire configuration needs any performance improvement on L4D2 as I am sure, even at 2560x1600 that 5800 x-fire would already toast that game. And actually, I have dual 4850's and 1920x1080 with everything maxed and my system doesn't flinch at all and the 5800 series are much stronger cards. I just want more stability and I hope these drivers deliver on that.

G

He wasn't saying he needed an increase. He was commenting on the Left 4 Dead 2 crossfire speed increase mentioned in the article.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
OH man i can't wait!!! its gonna mean Cheap GPU's (for the 5xxx) Or some reason really awesome ones at a cheap price!

honestly when old gpu's get phased out they dont drop that much in price. you can still get gts 250's for almost the same price as a 5750 where I live. And the gtx465 and HD5830 are more expensive than a gtx460, even though it offers better performance. In fact the newer gtx460 has dropped in price recently where I live, and is the newest card. Ill most likely be up for a 6xxx series over the 5xxx, but i'll wait for the reviews....

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I dont really know why anyone would mention speed increases on FC2 and L4D2. The AA on SC2 seems noteworthy but I agree with the above poster that stability improvements would be better received. Mine seem stable, but the forums are full of people with issues. Now maybe its the people that have issues - but I cant help with that :)

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
They could be throwing that in, just because it just happens to improve performance with those games. Not that they necessarily spent a lot of time working on them specifically.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]crazybaldhead[/nom]http://vr-zone.com/articles/-rumou [...] /9688.html[/citation]
I was sooo confused until I read the article. All those names and iterations make sense now. Hopefully the cards will have a 30% - 50% increase in performance. Aything less than 30% performance increase is spelling Nvidia like fail.

sire_angelus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
the 4xxx series and all ati are long to me maxed out at a driver level, since at best the games uses 1/5*1,5 of the number of the sp on board... the ati are heavy recompiler dependent , because they have an high number of heavily specialized unit, so it'up to the compiler to find and exploit the resources, all at runtime, so it can't be heavy on the cpu.. but we will see improvements at each release because even if the performance increase on the 58xx are more substantial due to di architecture(cache, distribution etc etc) they have the same basic compiler...

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Maybe a stupid question, but what do Whistler and Blackcomb, two linked (and very awesome, I must say) ski areas outside Vancouver have to do with islands? In the Caribbean? Maybe they name these things after the place where the project team goes to celebrate after launch.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]I was sooo confused until I read the article. All those names and iterations make sense now. Hopefully the cards will have a 30% - 50% increase in performance. Aything less than 30% performance increase is spelling Nvidia like fail.[/citation]
Heh... if the Bulldozer release gives 30-50% more power and then the HD6000 series gives another 30-60%, AMD's going to have one helluva platform on their hand. That's all I can say...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS