Sapphire 6870 strange clicking sound

josephtdavey

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I bought an Sapphire ATI Radeon 6870 and got it in the mail today. I installed my card successfully and booted up my computer, then got the drivers. I started gaming immediately and about 2 minutes in, I heard my video card clicking really really loud. I think it's the fan, but I've found no way to get rid of the noise. It only happens when I'm getting somewhere graphically intense in my game, so I think it's when the fan speed picks up. Normally i would just turn up the speakers, but this clicking is REALLY loud. Any suggestions?

skaz

Distinguished
First make sure your cable management is tight. Sometimes when laying your computer sideways to install hardware cables can get a little loose. And as soon as you turn that sucker upright they can fall into the weirdest places. Like a fan. I had that happen when installing a new CPU. The heat-sink's fan cable just kept slighting touching the fan blades when the computer was in the upright position. Freaked me out when I booted it up and heard that clicked clack a rack sound.

If that's not it then it might be the fan itself. If you narrow it down to a fan on your graphics card I would get a RMA.