The best "sounding" game?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
In your opinion, what is the best "sounding" PC game on the market? I have a creative soundblaster fatality x-fi sound card, and I have to say that the best sounding game I've played is probably Battlefield Bad Company 2. Especially with my 5.1 surround sound speaker system. Bioshock 1 & 2 also sound pretty good.

A good sound card and speaker system really lets the audio on these games show it's full potential.

I wonder if Battlefield 3 will have even better sound than BC2.

skaz

Distinguished

Yeah I think BBC2 has some great sound effects. If I could stop playing BBC2 maybe I wouldn't be drawing such a blank on what other games sound good too.

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I will confirm what everyone else says.

I've never been that interested in the "sounds" in video games, it always came secondary to gameplay story etc. However, I loved the sound in BC2 and it made me purchase better speakers just because of it.

I can't wait till BF3, I loved BF2 and played it for many many hours.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Hopefully the audio engine in BF3 will allow high-end sound cards and PC speaker systems to fully flex their muscles. And I agree with everyone else here about how BC2 is the best "sounding" game out there.

Nobody knows more about Battlefield 2 than me. Here is my BF2 player profile :)

http://bf2s.com/player/48462826/

And here is my BFBC2 player profile

http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/TJhoushmandzadah

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Dead Space 2! You really need to focus on possible sounds from different directions. Also, AvP.
I really liked the ambient sound of Path of Neo, especially in the club level! Also, FEAR 2 did the job well of giving you jerks and shifts in your chair!

One game which tops my list (though not on the PC) is the God of War series! By far the best sounding game! :)

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

:O There's something I'd forgotten about. Enjoyed that a lot :)

BFBC2 again. Also I found Oblivion's sound excellent, and of course the music was top notch.

Funnily enough WoW used to have some great music during Vanilla/TBC/WotLK, but the Cata music doesn't feel as good to me.

-Nih

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

Music, not sound :)

Hehe, sure /hands tinfoil hat. In all honesty I can't comment. All I can say is that I currently hate WoW (along with 700k others who've unsubbed) and I still love the old music, having played the game and listened to it for years.

Equally I can't open that link right now, but I would suggest that any form of gratification can cause addiction. WoW is no different.

But you've pricked my curiosity - what sort of subliminal messaging are we talking about here? Can you give me examples? (Please, no links, can't open them) :)

I think blaming a game for a child's rage fits is somewhat naive unless they have some medically proven mental disability. Even if the game was a catalyst, the child clearly hasn't been brought up to understand what is and what isn't appropriate, indicating a problem with the child's social/moral/mental development, most likely caused by poor parenting or poor education/social mixing.

-Nih