Treo 600 Worthless on Verizon

My contract is up with Verizon and I took a look at the Treo 600. Yes,
it's showing it's age and one has to wonder about the stupidity in
design of having a data phone without a replaceable battery (was it
that difficult to do?) While that's more of a limitation with
Verizon's CDMA network (since it burns batteries faster than GSM)
perhaps that even could have been acceptable and you could get a bulky
external battery... but Verizon's exorbitant network pricing you are
boxed into with the Treo is what knocks it out of the box and few
raise this immediately.

Unfortunately I only found out, long after I researched the Treo 600
that you need Verizon Wireless data plan at $35 for just the first 5
MB of transfer to even use this phone for the Internet. You cannot use
the slower 1X network and use your prepaid time as with the other
horrible PDA phones. When I asked them how they could justify that
HUGE premium I was told quality, quality, quality, etc. They claimed
having a growth of so many more customers than anyone else and that
justifies everything.

Well, that may be true of voice only. If Verizon thinks that we will
spend at least $400 per year (over $500 for unlimited) and probably
more for a data connection, they are smoking crack. I will sooner go
to Sprint and their lower "quality" connection. My business provided
me with a Sprint phone which has OK coverage. Perhaps not as good as
Verizon but nowhere near worth paying double what the Sprint plan is
just for data access. The overconfidence is a real put off as is the
desire to milk every cent they can out of a customer locked into the
voice plan. When the Treo 650 comes out on other networks perhaps
Verizon ought to brace itself. I'm likely one of those people who will
bolt after many years.
9 answers Last reply
More about treo worthless verizon

    Don't let the door hit you in the rear end...

    "Marc" <slinkySPAMREatMOVEMEnewsguydotREMOVEcom> wrote in message
    > My contract is up with Verizon and I took a look at the Treo 600. Yes,
    > it's showing it's age and one has to wonder about the stupidity in
    > design of having a data phone without a replaceable battery (was it
    > that difficult to do?) While that's more of a limitation with
    > Verizon's CDMA network (since it burns batteries faster than GSM)
    > perhaps that even could have been acceptable and you could get a bulky
    > external battery... but Verizon's exorbitant network pricing you are
    > boxed into with the Treo is what knocks it out of the box and few
    > raise this immediately.
    >
    > Unfortunately I only found out, long after I researched the Treo 600
    > that you need Verizon Wireless data plan at $35 for just the first 5
    > MB of transfer to even use this phone for the Internet. You cannot use
    > the slower 1X network and use your prepaid time as with the other
    > horrible PDA phones. When I asked them how they could justify that
    > HUGE premium I was told quality, quality, quality, etc. They claimed
    > having a growth of so many more customers than anyone else and that
    > justifies everything.
    >
    > Well, that may be true of voice only. If Verizon thinks that we will
    > spend at least $400 per year (over $500 for unlimited) and probably
    > more for a data connection, they are smoking crack. I will sooner go
    > to Sprint and their lower "quality" connection. My business provided
    > me with a Sprint phone which has OK coverage. Perhaps not as good as
    > Verizon but nowhere near worth paying double what the Sprint plan is
    > just for data access. The overconfidence is a real put off as is the
    > desire to milk every cent they can out of a customer locked into the
    > voice plan. When the Treo 650 comes out on other networks perhaps
    > Verizon ought to brace itself. I'm likely one of those people who will
    > bolt after many years.

    Marc <slinkySPAMREatMOVEMEnewsguydotREMOVEcom> wrote:

    > ... you need Verizon Wireless data plan at $35 for just the first 5 MB of
    > transfer to even use this phone for the Internet. You cannot use the slower
    > 1X network and use your prepaid time as with the other horrible PDA phones.

    And how would they know? I use 1X just fine without any data plan.

    - Paul

    You have some truth in your post but much of what you've posted is
    misleading.

    > Unfortunately I only found out, long after I researched the Treo 600
    > that you need Verizon Wireless data plan at $35 for just the first 5
    > MB of transfer to even use this phone for the Internet.

    Not true. It is $24.99/mo for that plan or $44.99 for unlimited data access
    with a voice plan over $29.99. This is high but the same as AT&T. Rumor
    has it that Sprint is also raising their data prices to similar levels with
    their Treo 650 rollout. Be prepared to complain to them.

    > You cannot use
    > the slower 1X network and use your prepaid time as with the other
    > horrible PDA phones.

    Not true and many people are using Minutes of Use with their Treo 600s.
    However, some CSRs don't tell this to the customers and that is a shame that
    there is so much inconsistency at VerizonWireless. The risk, however is
    that the Treo 600 tends to be "always on" so that puts people at risk of
    using more minutes than expected. They need to take certain measures to
    prevent this and the CSRs are not knowledgeable enough to explain those
    measures to the customers. That, too, is a shame. They took so much time
    to roll out the Treo 600 and didn't spend enough time training their reps.

    I agree with your buried point that Verizon spends a lot of time ensuring
    quality but tends to still miss the mark. Given their high prices, you'd
    think they could do better.

    Aren't you witty.

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:43:31 -0400, "Bob the Printer"
    <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Don't let the door hit you in the rear end...
    >

    >"Marc" <slinkySPAMREatMOVEMEnewsguydotREMOVEcom> wrote in message
    >> My contract is up with Verizon and I took a look at the Treo 600. Yes,
    >> it's showing it's age and one has to wonder about the stupidity in
    >> design of having a data phone without a replaceable battery (was it
    >> that difficult to do?) While that's more of a limitation with
    >> Verizon's CDMA network (since it burns batteries faster than GSM)
    >> perhaps that even could have been acceptable and you could get a bulky
    >> external battery... but Verizon's exorbitant network pricing you are
    >> boxed into with the Treo is what knocks it out of the box and few
    >> raise this immediately.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately I only found out, long after I researched the Treo 600
    >> that you need Verizon Wireless data plan at $35 for just the first 5
    >> MB of transfer to even use this phone for the Internet. You cannot use
    >> the slower 1X network and use your prepaid time as with the other
    >> horrible PDA phones. When I asked them how they could justify that
    >> HUGE premium I was told quality, quality, quality, etc. They claimed
    >> having a growth of so many more customers than anyone else and that
    >> justifies everything.
    >>
    >> Well, that may be true of voice only. If Verizon thinks that we will
    >> spend at least $400 per year (over $500 for unlimited) and probably
    >> more for a data connection, they are smoking crack. I will sooner go
    >> to Sprint and their lower "quality" connection. My business provided
    >> me with a Sprint phone which has OK coverage. Perhaps not as good as
    >> Verizon but nowhere near worth paying double what the Sprint plan is
    >> just for data access. The overconfidence is a real put off as is the
    >> desire to milk every cent they can out of a customer locked into the
    >> voice plan. When the Treo 650 comes out on other networks perhaps
    >> Verizon ought to brace itself. I'm likely one of those people who will
    >> bolt after many years.

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:19:48 GMT, "Lady Beryl"
    <SBerylW@noway.netscape.noway.net> wrote:

    >You have some truth in your post but much of what you've posted is
    >misleading.
    >
    >> Unfortunately I only found out, long after I researched the Treo 600
    >> that you need Verizon Wireless data plan at $35 for just the first 5
    >> MB of transfer to even use this phone for the Internet.
    >
    >Not true. It is $24.99/mo for that plan or $44.99 for unlimited data access
    >with a voice plan over $29.99. This is high but the same as AT&T. Rumor
    >has it that Sprint is also raising their data prices to similar levels with
    >their Treo 650 rollout. Be prepared to complain to them.

    I was told in the store yesterday by two people it is $35/mo. in New
    York. If I get a plan on Sprint now I'll have the price at $10/mo. and
    can worry about prices much later. There is a reason why AT&T has sold
    their mobile wireless unit

    >> You cannot use
    >> the slower 1X network and use your prepaid time as with the other
    >> horrible PDA phones.
    >
    >Not true and many people are using Minutes of Use with their Treo 600s.
    >However, some CSRs don't tell this to the customers and that is a shame that
    >there is so much inconsistency at VerizonWireless. The risk, however is
    >that the Treo 600 tends to be "always on" so that puts people at risk of
    >using more minutes than expected. They need to take certain measures to
    >prevent this and the CSRs are not knowledgeable enough to explain those
    >measures to the customers. That, too, is a shame. They took so much time
    >to roll out the Treo 600 and didn't spend enough time training their reps.

    The reps, the techs and all people I spoke to in the store said that
    you'll get to see your usage on your bill and if you aren't being
    billed currently, don't be surprised when you find it there. The
    'problem' with the phone is that it automatically updates the software
    and connection so that you'll end up getting hooked into the high
    speed. The always on feature is also a challenge but not something
    that can't be managed....

    Thanks for your comments. They are informative and appreciated.

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:16:48 GMT, pauljlucas@mac.com (Paul J. Lucas)
    wrote:

    >Marc <slinkySPAMREatMOVEMEnewsguydotREMOVEcom> wrote:
    >
    >> ... you need Verizon Wireless data plan at $35 for just the first 5 MB of
    >> transfer to even use this phone for the Internet. You cannot use the slower
    >> 1X network and use your prepaid time as with the other horrible PDA phones.
    >
    > And how would they know? I use 1X just fine without any data plan.

    Interesting. Every rep swears this isn't possible although it is with
    the i600. I must have spoken to 3 reps in one store and 3 online and
    all said the same thing.

    My mistake. Given the sheer pathetic manner in which the reps both low
    and high in Verizon dealt with the i-600 fiasco it should not be
    surprising that they are peddling more misinformation.
    Unbelieveable... Thanks.

    just ask for national coverage

    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:16:48 GMT, pauljlucas@mac.com (Paul J. Lucas)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Marc <slinkySPAMREatMOVEMEnewsguydotREMOVEcom> wrote:
    > >
    > >> ... you need Verizon Wireless data plan at $35 for just the first 5
    MB of
    > >> transfer to even use this phone for the Internet. You cannot use
    the slower
    > >> 1X network and use your prepaid time as with the other horrible PDA
    phones.

    > > And how would they know? I use 1X just fine without any data plan.
    >
    > Interesting. Every rep swears this isn't possible although it is with
    > the i600. I must have spoken to 3 reps in one store and 3 online and
    > all said the same thing.
    >
    > My mistake. Given the sheer pathetic manner in which the reps both low
    > and high in Verizon dealt with the i-600 fiasco it should not be
    > surprising that they are peddling more misinformation.
    > Unbelieveable... Thanks.

    Incredible... it DOES work. Replaced my i600. I guess I'm going to
    have to learn how to disconnect from the 1X so I dont rack up bills.
    INCREDIBLE how so many at Verizon are programmed to give you certain
    misinformation to lead customers down a road they prefer. Unreal... I
    take back what I said about the phone and now throw it at Verizon
    Wireless, the organization.

    Thanks much for the info.

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 23:07:31 GMT, "Paul G" <pgloe@optonline.net>
    wrote:

    >just ask for national coverage
    >
    >"Marc" <slinkySPAMREatMOVEMEnewsguydotREMOVEcom> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:16:48 GMT, pauljlucas@mac.com (Paul J. Lucas)
    >> wrote:

    >MB of
    >the slower
    >phones.
    >> >
    >> > And how would they know? I use 1X just fine without any data plan.
    >>
    >> Interesting. Every rep swears this isn't possible although it is with
    >> the i600. I must have spoken to 3 reps in one store and 3 online and
    >> all said the same thing.
    >>
    >> My mistake. Given the sheer pathetic manner in which the reps both low
    >> and high in Verizon dealt with the i-600 fiasco it should not be
    >> surprising that they are peddling more misinformation.
    >> Unbelieveable... Thanks.

    Marc, I use a Audiovox "Thera" on Verizon as a second phone sharing the
    minutes of the primary. I also use the 1X connection A LOT on weekends and
    nights.
    It takes from the shared minutes,(free after 9PM and weekends) but it works
    well. I purchased it from www.tigerdirect.com for $149 and added it myself
    on the internet.
    DO NOT believe the Sales Druids at your local kiosk or store. If they knew
    what they were doing, THEY WOULDN'T WORK THERE!

Verizon Treo Internet Service Providers Product