Repost: Help! Motherboard Problems!

G

I just bought the following new components.

Iwill KA266-R mobo
Athlon 1.33 cpu
Crucial 256 DDR ram (3 sticks)
WD 40 gig HD
Sony RW CD
Enermax 430W PS
Lian Li 60 case

The follwing items I'm reusing from a previous system.

Elsa Gloria XL graphics card
Logitech 3 button mouse
Generic keyboard
Generic 1.44 floppy

I assembled all the above listed items. Left the mobo settings at default and turned the power on. The LED's light up properly on the case, the fans work on the case, the CD works (will open and close) and the hard drive starts to spin up. In my previous post I said that the hard drive stops. My mistake. The hard drive continues to spin. The system will not post. That's what I meant by "nothing".

I've built numerous systems over the years but have never tried to overclock any of them. One suggestion to my previous post was to set the clock multiplier for a slower cpu. I don't see anything in Iwill mobo user guide on which settings are for specific cpu's.

The graphics card works fine in my other system. I hooked the hard drive up to the other system and loaded NT after I could not get this new system to post. I have no way to test the mobo, ram or cpu in another system.

I get NO beep codes while trying to start the system.

I hope I provided enough detail this time.

TIA

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
just a guess, but it sounds like the problem is in your CPU. A lot of times if the motherboard is bad you will at least get to some part of POST. Seeing as how you are not getting any beeps or any POST, I would say that your CPU is not completely seated or it is bad.

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Man, it could be anything. It could be your cpu, just as stonerboy suggest. Make sure the cpu is ok by plugging it in another mobo. Then again it could be your power supply that is not good, the supply could be dirty or not supplying the required voltages that the cpu requires. It could also be your ram, maybe it is not seated properly. Or, the mobo itself is faulty, bios corrupted, not assembled properly that there is a short somewhere. Then again as the mobo is new and you have just assembled it, try clearing the cmos.

G

Turns out the mobo was DOA. Tested everything else. No problems with cpu, ram, ps, etc.

What a pain.