Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I've heard so many bad things about SP2 I was wondering if I should let my OS be updated from SP1. I just did a fresh install and figure this would be the time to do it if I'm going to do it at all. What are your opinions?

Thanks.

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
I have had zero problems with SP2. Since it's a new install if SP2 causes you problems then a reinstall will fix your problems. Again, I have no problems with SP2 to speak of.

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
"Some" people have experienced slow downs and crashes with service pack 2. The biggest complaints I know of are from gamers-SP2 doesn't play well with many games. My personal experience showed it not playing well with Grand Theft Auto Vice City. It causes the copy protection to kick in (details for another post). The only way I can run the game is in win 98 compadability mode.

RichPLS

Champion
I have no problems with SP-2, and I believe most games/programs have patches or updates if there is a compatability problem.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
My experiences

Upgrade from very old SP1a installation = lots of problems
Upgrade from fairly new SP1a installation = perfect
Clean install = perfect

repair install on 3yr old SP0 installation = ok except for files sharing. Something is wrong with the permissions, I can only share folders on C:

And of course the several drivers and apps needed reinstalled. A clean install would be nice but I am doing this for free and they have important personal documents scattered all over the place and software with missing installation discs.

dhlucke

Polypheme
It's safe now. I never had any problems but all the kinks should have been worked out by now since, as someone said above, sp2 will be mandatory for future updates.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>