msgsrv32

tjames

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
Hi, having probs with puter. I was running 98 for ages, no problems, then it started crashing all the time (locking up), and I was trying to burn files from HD to dvd and it kept failing because the source was too slow? So i formatted and reinstalled, still kept crashing. I went to pcpitstop, ran tests and it said HD was slow. so I bought a new one, installed ME, and it crashes too. It seems to be the way it starts up? sometimes it starts up normally, and then the next time it's like it's doing everything underwater, really slowly. And i ctr alt del at these times and it says that msgsrv32 is not responding and i can have up to 3 rundll32's going at the same time.. Also sometimes it askes me for a networking password on start up, and sometimes not. I've reinstalled windows twice and it still does it, and all the updates. It's a P4 2.8 80gig HD, 512meg Can someone please help :)

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion or question, but did you remember to reinstall the mobo/chipset drivers after reformating?

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Why would you go to ME from 98SE?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=120067" target="_new">My System</A>

tjames

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
All the drivers have been reinstalled, and I put Me on because 98 was crashing anyway, and my other half gives me a hard time about being old fashioned with my computer. I know the difference is minimal between them, I just tried it because 98 was giving me no joy either.

The point is, ME is worse than 98SE when it comes to crashes, etc.

I would suggest running Memtest and checking to see if your RAM is ok.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like something is dying, I'd guess either your motherboard has failing capacitors or your power supply is dying. But first things first, whens the last time you cleaned the dust out of the thing?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I've got ME running stable now at last by closing just about all unrequired processors, some I've left on, but could be closed if wanted.

An example of closed are, PC Health, SSDPSRV, STATEMGR(sys restore which is useless anyway) C-Media Mixer and others that instal with applications. A lot of these processes were "Tacked On" by Microsoft from 98 without ironing out flaws, which were rectified with XP - complete new design.

As well as no more crashes, resources have increased and games run smooth.

I got ME for free so why not use it as PC is not connected to the internet and is used for gaming only, but I've noticed that some new games do not support ME so it's time is limited.

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>