Sign in with
Your question

Witcher 2 bad frame rate

Last response: in Video Games
June 2, 2011 3:38:33 PM

i put my pc together with a i7 3.4 k and xfx 6950 2 gb gpu but I am low frame rates in boss fight. The game will freeze up. The game sets setting to low based on pc set up? ! What can I do to improve play?

More about : witcher bad frame rate

June 2, 2011 4:01:07 PM

I keep reading about turning off ubersampling but mine is already off. I am really disappointed. I figured with this card I should be able to max it out. I see other people are having same issue, see no fix though.
cpu=i73.4k
gpu xfx6950 2 GB
memory =8 GB 1600
mobo =p67 deluxe
case= 690 II
hd = wd 1 TB
June 2, 2011 4:04:05 PM

Are you running any background processes ?
Related resources
June 3, 2011 4:49:13 PM

only what is running for windows 7.
June 3, 2011 8:41:42 PM

I just got the game. I have ubersampling off an ssao off. Everything else is maxed and I get 60 most of the time and it will on occasion drop to 35-30ish. I have a nice OC on my GPU though so that helps. What are you considering low what framrates are you getting?
June 3, 2011 9:18:35 PM

Men i have that game i i have a quad core 2.67Ghz and a GTX 560 Ti. Im telling you something. The game will only improve with high CPU clocks. Nothing more. Why? Like most of today games it dosent really use Multi-Core. Check you CPU usage and GPU usage. Non of them will be at 100% most likely. If u have a Core 2 Duo you will se 100% usage on CPU (if you GPU isnt the bottleneck) and if you have a quad-core you will see only 50% unsage on all cores.

That is because 50% usage * 4 = Core 2 Duo 100% usage.

If you have a Core i7 8 cores. You most likely see 25% usage on all cores (Again if you video card aint the bottleneck like in my case wich is running only at 50% usage).

You may want to check all of this out using Task Manager. SpeedFan. And EVGA precision of MSI afterburner.

To all Companies ****STOP THE LIE**** work like you should and develop REAL MULTI-THREADING GAMES.
June 4, 2011 6:43:22 PM

Ok, just al little help. I intalled the patch 1.1 and 1.2 and in the 1.1 release notes it says u may get a 5 - 30% improved performance on the game. It actually did, not as much as 30% but a fair 10% at least.

I checked my CPU usage, better, but still low, i see a lot of usage on Core 0 but low 25% usage for other cores. So, i tried turning of Core 0 on Task Manager. Result: games jumped from avg 32 FPS to 42 FPS because the other 3 cores are now giving almost 60% al the time.

Its a CPU optimization. Gonna try latter using only 2 Cores and see if i get some omprovement. The Game is not Quad-Core optimized. They improved it during patch, but i can get really better than that.

A Quad-Core with a good CPU should be able to to constan 60FPS on this game. BTW turn UberFilter OFF it really helps.
June 4, 2011 7:31:53 PM

Most of the problem seems to accrue when boss fighting. freezes and/or shuts down. also getting odd visuals sometimes on grass and vegetation. It is like a sparkle. Think it is artifacts but not sure. I ewll check the cpu usage. (FPS is around 50 then goes down in boss fights it freezes./ Not as bad as minecraft thought,,.lol wish they would clean up code instead of adding more bulk additions..)
June 6, 2011 4:01:46 PM

jaklope said:
Most of the problem seems to accrue when boss fighting. freezes and/or shuts down. also getting odd visuals sometimes on grass and vegetation. It is like a sparkle. Think it is artifacts but not sure. I ewll check the cpu usage. (FPS is around 50 then goes down in boss fights it freezes./ Not as bad as minecraft thought,,.lol wish they would clean up code instead of adding more bulk additions..)

There is something else wrong here. I have a 6950 and less powerful CPU and my FPS stay at 60FPS with v sync on and maybe go to 40FPS when stuff gets crazy. If you have EVERYTHING maxed its a bad idea. Make sure to turn off SSAO and UBERSAMPLING. Thats were mine is set and its fine. I will say the game is buggy I have had the controls freeze up a few time were I can walk around but nothing else works (signs swords doors) I have had NPC's block me off to were I need a restart. And like manny other (not a bug here im just crying lol) I feel the game is very very badly explained. A lot of the controls I had to go online to find out between the game and manual I could not figure a few things out. Other than that its a great game hope you fix your problem.
June 6, 2011 4:54:44 PM

Well another thing is The Witcher 2 is actually built ahead of current hardware. It's actually pushing the limits of current hardware. And yes before someone screams it's not DX11 i know but I'm running a 5870 and I can't max all the settings. This used to be a common problem 10 years ago. Everyone remembers what Crysis and Doom did to their systems.

There were some problems with ATI/AMD cards at launch but the patches seems to have alleiviated those issues. Removing ubersampling helps greatly too. Even without DX11 i think The Witcher 2 puts Crysis 2 to shame visually. The first act has some of the most gorgeous scenery I've ever seen in a game and the lighting is spectacular when you see the light coming down through the tree's.
June 6, 2011 6:27:26 PM

thegamersblog said:
Well another thing is The Witcher 2 is actually built ahead of current hardware. It's actually pushing the limits of current hardware. And yes before someone screams it's not DX11 i know but I'm running a 5870 and I can't max all the settings. This used to be a common problem 10 years ago. Everyone remembers what Crysis and Doom did to their systems.

There were some problems with ATI/AMD cards at launch but the patches seems to have alleiviated those issues. Removing ubersampling helps greatly too. Even without DX11 i think The Witcher 2 puts Crysis 2 to shame visually. The first act has some of the most gorgeous scenery I've ever seen in a game and the lighting is spectacular when you see the light coming down through the tree's.

Well other than ubersampling and ssao I can max it out on a 6950 and thats not the best card out. So I wouldn't say its built ahead of current hardware I would say it is built to need the most current hardware. So to max this out you will need a 6950/6970 or 570/580 and some OCing possibly. 5870 is not technicly current hardware its one set behind current. I also do not see and difference with ubersampling on or off so dont care that I need to turn it off.
June 6, 2011 6:42:29 PM

True enough but the 5870 is actually faster then the 6850/6870/6950 and the performance gains from the 6970 outside of DX11 are 5% on a good day. Granted your correct it is one gen behind but the performance on a DX10 game it makes little difference. I would be interested to know what ubersampling actually does...
June 6, 2011 10:36:40 PM

thegamersblog said:
True enough but the 5870 is actually faster then the 6850/6870/6950 and the performance gains from the 6970 outside of DX11 are 5% on a good day. Granted your correct it is one gen behind but the performance on a DX10 game it makes little difference. I would be interested to know what ubersampling actually does...

Sounds like an option on a VW to me lol
June 7, 2011 1:22:26 AM

If i slapped a NOS sticker on the side of it and put an exhaust fan on it that sounded like a fart cannon when it sped up would i get an additional 300MHZ?!?!?!?! Sweet...
June 7, 2011 1:28:56 AM

thegamersblog said:

its actualy not a gen behind. there actualy pretty much the same arcitecture wise, they had a slight revision on there tessellation units but other than that they are the same generation.
dont be fooled by sales hype.
a revision isnt a next gen. going from dx10 to dx11 was a next gen step, the same as going from a i7 920 to an i7 2600 is a next gen. as they arnt revisions of the same hardware they are different architecture.

as for ubersampling its just the best sampling that the gfx card can produce. often this is per pixel sampling every pixel on screen u can get pretty much the same effect in most games bu turning up your sampling via your control panel on the ccc panel for instance its on the AAmode tab going from multi sample to adaptive multisample to supersample AA...
June 7, 2011 7:12:10 PM

HEXiT said:
its actualy not a gen behind. there actualy pretty much the same arcitecture wise, they had a slight revision on there tessellation units but other than that they are the same generation.
dont be fooled by sales hype.
a revision isnt a next gen. going from dx10 to dx11 was a next gen step, the same as going from a i7 920 to an i7 2600 is a next gen. as they arnt revisions of the same hardware they are different architecture.

as for ubersampling its just the best sampling that the gfx card can produce. often this is per pixel sampling every pixel on screen u can get pretty much the same effect in most games bu turning up your sampling via your control panel on the ccc panel for instance its on the AAmode tab going from multi sample to adaptive multisample to supersample AA...

Nice that uber seems to full half the FPS and make it not look much better if at all :)  lol
June 7, 2011 9:41:25 PM

well it is just eye candy for the more extreme systems. so the devs can say they are fully supporting pc... pretty much a marketing ploy to sell more games and to be honest i like it... it makes a change to get a game developed for pc that may get ported to console some time. instead of them writing the game on pc. porting it to console then porting the port back to pc... why don't they just give us the games pre port to console and things would be much rosier on the pc front.

pc should be the primary platform for all multiplat games, that way the consoles get a much better looking game also. every 1 wins.
June 8, 2011 12:09:15 AM

HEXiT said:
well it is just eye candy for the more extreme systems. so the devs can say they are fully supporting pc... pretty much a marketing ploy to sell more games and to be honest i like it... it makes a change to get a game developed for pc that may get ported to console some time. instead of them writing the game on pc. porting it to console then porting the port back to pc... why don't they just give us the games pre port to console and things would be much rosier on the pc front.

pc should be the primary platform for all multiplat games, that way the consoles get a much better looking game also. every 1 wins.

Yeah it seems that PC gamers are hostage towards the end of a consoles lifespan. The moneys in the consoles so they develop for them but that makes no sense to me. Like you said they are making the games on PC's so make the game give it to PC users then ports a MED graphics version over to the consoles easy any everybody gets to play the games. Its not like they are using an xbox to make xbox games lol.
!