Broadband PC 5220

Christian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Other than Microsoft newsgroups I can't get any newsgroups via my PC 5220.
At home using my Verizon DSL I can get all the newsgroups. I guess that
Verizon has blocked getting newsgroups other than a direct connection via my
home DSL line. When I am stuck in a hotel I like to read the alt.*.*
newsgroups but I can't.

"Christian" <nomail@please.com> wrote in message
> Other than Microsoft newsgroups I can't get any newsgroups via my PC 5220.
> At home using my Verizon DSL I can get all the newsgroups. I guess that
> Verizon has blocked getting newsgroups other than a direct connection via
> my home DSL line. When I am stuck in a hotel I like to read the alt.*.*
> newsgroups but I can't.

I use the (free) German news Server. Go to Register at
http://news.cis.dfn.de/ (note the final /, required for English) New URL
http://news.individual.net/ (don't know if you can register there). Takes a
week or so, but I have that card in my laptop and like to read NG's like
this one when in motels too... Hmmm just looked around.. Discovery channel
on TV and pictures screwed to the walls, must be in one now......:)

Neat thing is, it also works when on cable, dsl, aircard, cellphone and
cable, dial-up, wifi, etc too. By always using the same thing (german news
server) I always keep the same place in threads, and don't have to start
reading each NG over again.

I have always used free agent as my news reader client and it works
fine with my 5220 card on vzw. In fact, vzw wireless has been my only
internet connection for a year now. I'm reading and posting this thru
my vzw wireless broadband. I use the free news.individual.net
service for my newsgroups service.

d b