Worth installing the expanisions straight away?

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Hi,

I've ordered Morrowind and it's 2 expansions as a bundle; my question is, is
it worth installing the expanisions straight away (I understand the
expansions have interface upgrades)? Would this effect the original
Morrowind story in any way? Thanx in advance...
13 answers Last reply
More about worth installing expanisions straight away
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "Sentinel" <tally.isham@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    > I've ordered Morrowind and it's 2 expansions as a bundle; my question is,
    is
    > it worth installing the expanisions straight away (I understand the
    > expansions have interface upgrades)? Would this effect the original
    > Morrowind story in any way? Thanx in advance...

    It's definitely worth it for the journal improvements. It doesn't affect
    the original story in any way.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "Sentinel" <tally.isham@btinternet.com> writes:

    > I've ordered Morrowind and it's 2 expansions as a bundle; my question is, is
    > it worth installing the expanisions straight away (I understand the
    > expansions have interface upgrades)? Would this effect the original
    > Morrowind story in any way? Thanx in advance...

    Neither affect the main story. However, Tribunal does affect the
    character right away with some combat, but once that's dealt with it
    can be ignored. Some people like adding Tribunal right away, but I
    think for a first time user you're going to have your hands full just
    figuring out how to kill rats and make money. Story-wise, it makes
    a bit more sense if it's installed later (ie, after your name becomes
    better known).

    You can install Bloodmoon without it affecting your character at all,
    so it's pretty safe. It's well worth it for just the interface
    change.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    Luxury! In MY day, we had to make do with 5 bytes of swap...

    Hi,

    For one thing you get attacked by the dark brotherhood after installing
    tribunal. I believe bloodmoon lets you view your quests as an index (saves
    you from browsing a (at some point very large) journal). at least I only
    noticed this option when installing bloodmoon.

    However, since a harddisk crash, I am replaying the game (now with tribunal
    installed too) and installed everything. The dark brotherhood has some very
    expensive armor though they can be a bit annoying (they attack you sometimes
    when you try to rest).

    So, if you like the armor and the journal option (you likely will) install
    everything. I don't think it matters much for the rest of the game.

    Regards, Ron AF Greve.

    "Sentinel" <tally.isham@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've ordered Morrowind and it's 2 expansions as a bundle; my question is,
    is
    > it worth installing the expanisions straight away (I understand the
    > expansions have interface upgrades)? Would this effect the original
    > Morrowind story in any way? Thanx in advance...

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "Moonlit" <news moonlit xs4all nl> writes:

    > So, if you like the armor and the journal option (you likely will) install
    > everything. I don't think it matters much for the rest of the game.

    Getting the armor as a level 1 newbie fundamentally changes the nature
    of the game for a first time player.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    My shoes are too tight, and I have forgotten how to dance -- Babylon 5

    Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> wrote:

    > Getting the armor as a level 1 newbie fundamentally changes the nature
    > of the game for a first time player.

    I agree, for first time players I recommend that they barely cast
    magic or drink potions.

    Try to keep things as low key as possible for the first dozen hours or
    more.

    Allowing your character to do everything right off the bat takes away
    some thrill.

    Remember how exciting it was when you first learned to drive?
    Now you hop in the car and drive off with no joy whatsoever, unless
    you're driving a fast car on a windy mountain road or something.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    > I've ordered Morrowind and it's 2 expansions as a bundle; my question is,
    is
    > it worth installing the expanisions straight away

    Yes, I think so, but as some have said, there is some early combat if you
    install tribunal that could be difficult for a noob player. :) You can skip
    this and keep the interface improvements by only installing bloodmoon after
    the main game, but if you do, be aware you must RE-INSTALL bloodmoon after
    you install tribunal, or else the game cannot load! I prefer doing both at
    the same time to avoid this issue.

    Also, don't forget to apply the patches from the morrowind website.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "Darin Johnson" <darin_@_usa_._net> wrote in message
    > "Sentinel" <tally.isham@btinternet.com> writes:
    >
    > > I've ordered Morrowind and it's 2 expansions as a bundle; my question
    is, is
    > > it worth installing the expanisions straight away (I understand the
    > > expansions have interface upgrades)? Would this effect the original
    > > Morrowind story in any way? Thanx in advance...
    >
    > Neither affect the main story. However, Tribunal does affect the
    > character right away with some combat, but once that's dealt with it
    > can be ignored. Some people like adding Tribunal right away, but I
    > think for a first time user you're going to have your hands full just
    > figuring out how to kill rats and make money. Story-wise, it makes
    > a bit more sense if it's installed later (ie, after your name becomes
    > better known).
    >
    > You can install Bloodmoon without it affecting your character at all,
    > so it's pretty safe. It's well worth it for just the interface
    > change.

    Not true. Bloodmoon breaks several side quests (no important ones that I
    know of) because it replaces every NPC's "rumors" with the hint about
    Solstheim. The one I remember is Fjol the outlaw. You don't get the
    request to take care of him from Larrius Varro (fort near Balmora) because
    of the dialog change. But when you kill the outlaw (he'll accost you
    outside of Hla Oad), the quest shows up in your Journal anyway. And you
    can't complete the quest (or get rid of the Active Quest) either.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "Moonlit" <news moonlit xs4all nl> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > For one thing you get attacked by the dark brotherhood after installing
    > tribunal. I believe bloodmoon lets you view your quests as an index (saves
    > you from browsing a (at some point very large) journal). at least I only
    > noticed this option when installing bloodmoon.
    >
    > However, since a harddisk crash, I am replaying the game (now with
    tribunal
    > installed too) and installed everything. The dark brotherhood has some
    very
    > expensive armor though they can be a bit annoying (they attack you
    sometimes
    > when you try to rest).
    >
    > So, if you like the armor and the journal option (you likely will) install
    > everything. I don't think it matters much for the rest of the game.

    The armor from the Dark Brotherhood IS nice, especially after the first one,
    when you can sell it and get LOTS of training. However, the journal quests
    list is added in Tribunal, not in Bloodmoon.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "Chris W" <idont@thinkso.net> wrote in message

    > Not true. Bloodmoon breaks several side quests (no important ones that I
    > know of) because it replaces every NPC's "rumors" with the hint about
    > Solstheim.

    No it doesn't. In Seyda Neen, quite a few will talk about Solstheim, but
    the old rumors are still there too.

    > The one I remember is Fjol the outlaw. You don't get the
    > request to take care of him from Larrius Varro (fort near Balmora) because
    > of the dialog change.

    I still do, even with Bloodmoon installed. However, after installing
    Tribunal, Larrius Varro's "work" dialog option was broken. I have to ask
    him about "Imperial", which contains the word "work" and is clickable from
    there, but not in his "I have work for you" dialog for some reason.

    Do you have any other mods installed? It may not be Bloodmoon that's
    breaking your rumors dialog option.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "Chris W" <idont@thinkso.net> writes:

    > However, the journal quests
    > list is added in Tribunal, not in Bloodmoon.

    The improved journal is in both expansions.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    Where am I? In the village... What do you want? Information...

    "Sarah" <scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote in message
    > "Chris W" <idont@thinkso.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > Not true. Bloodmoon breaks several side quests (no important ones that
    > > know of) because it replaces every NPC's "rumors" with the hint about
    > > Solstheim.
    >
    > No it doesn't. In Seyda Neen, quite a few will talk about Solstheim, but
    > the old rumors are still there too.
    >
    > > The one I remember is Fjol the outlaw. You don't get the
    > > request to take care of him from Larrius Varro (fort near Balmora)
    because
    > > of the dialog change.
    >
    > I still do, even with Bloodmoon installed. However, after installing
    > Tribunal, Larrius Varro's "work" dialog option was broken. I have to ask
    > him about "Imperial", which contains the word "work" and is clickable from
    > there, but not in his "I have work for you" dialog for some reason.
    >
    > Do you have any other mods installed? It may not be Bloodmoon that's
    > breaking your rumors dialog option.

    I have several third party, but none of them had affected that dialog option
    until Bloodmoon was installed. Maybe it's a combination?

    If anyone has the code for entering the journal entry from the console (for
    the Fjol the Outlaw quest), please let me know. It's irritating.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    > "Chris W" <idont@thinkso.net> writes:
    >
    > > However, the journal quests
    > > list is added in Tribunal, not in Bloodmoon.
    >
    > The improved journal is in both expansions.

    Ah.. didn't know that.. thanks!
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "Chris W" <idont@thinkso.net> skrev i en meddelelse

    > "Sarah" <scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote in message
    > > "Chris W" <idont@thinkso.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > Not true. Bloodmoon breaks several side quests (no important ones
    that
    > > > know of) because it replaces every NPC's "rumors" with the hint
    about
    > > > Solstheim.
    > >
    > > No it doesn't. In Seyda Neen, quite a few will talk about Solstheim,
    but
    > > the old rumors are still there too.
    > >
    > > > The one I remember is Fjol the outlaw. You don't get the
    > > > request to take care of him from Larrius Varro (fort near Balmora)
    > because
    > > > of the dialog change.
    > >
    > > I still do, even with Bloodmoon installed. However, after installing
    > > Tribunal, Larrius Varro's "work" dialog option was broken. I have to
    ask
    > > him about "Imperial", which contains the word "work" and is clickable
    from
    > > there, but not in his "I have work for you" dialog for some reason.
    > >
    > > Do you have any other mods installed? It may not be Bloodmoon that's
    > > breaking your rumors dialog option.
    >
    > I have several third party, but none of them had affected that dialog
    option
    > until Bloodmoon was installed. Maybe it's a combination?
    >
    > If anyone has the code for entering the journal entry from the console
    (for
    > the Fjol the Outlaw quest), please let me know. It's irritating.

    There are three *rumors* that bloodmoon adds to the rumor list, not only
    in Seyda Neen but everywhere else
    in Vvardenfell. They are rotated like the rest, with one
    exception. The one, where the NPC mentions, his son
    has been conscripted to Solstheim, is a 'one-timer'
    that you get the first time you ask about Solstheim.
    The second about the unrest, probably refers to the
    booze-situation, and probably stops after this has been
    resolved, and the last one about the 'terrible place' is
    the default

    Merlin

Games Video Games