What mainboard for Athlon

G

I'm new here and have a question. I want to get a new mainboard with an 1.33 GHz Atlon. I'm not shure about DDR, because you don't get that much more performance (under 10%). I want something stable, maybe good for overclogging, don't need ISA, not too expencive. What do you think about the Abit KT7a? You can buy that in a "raid" version. what does that mean?
Or the FIC AD11 motherboard?
I heard that many DDR boards don't run stable. is that true? are they still good for overclogging?

thx
Alex

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If U are not after every last ponit of performance then I would have 2 say to go for a board with the KT133a chipset(more futureproof than the standard KT133), in the UK that leave U with Abit, Aopen & Asustek with Aopen being cheapest, the Asus is good in tests (see Tom's motherboard tests to see what I mean) and Abit has RAID (mainly handy if U are running a server, you can mirror the contents of one harddrive onto another... plus you can have up to 8 diff IDE drives on the system (Asustek board allows the same but only provides for RAID 0 which is the easiest configuration).. go to a website like www.whatis.com and look it up RAID for more info).
(any other boards are hard to get hold of where in the UK)
Its up to U, they all do the job they were designed for...

hope this helps U...

Now where does this bit go ???

raptor455

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
I you want more information on DDR motherboards just look at best amd motherboard where this question is actually debated

G

I bought the ABIT and i returned it! The KT7A both raid and not has been banned from AMD( i THINK). As to my experience, i had it with an ATHLONC 1.2 with 266 fsb, it didnt work, wery unstable. It would hang up after going in top windows. I ehar that this board has problems with processors 1ghz and up.. Give it a thought, if you want the via kt133a chipset go for the ASUS A7V133. I changed my board to a REDFOX M7MIA, I think this board has been released in the Philippines(where i am) and taiwan only. It has the AMD 761 northbridge and the VIA 686b southbridge. I had some problems for awhile but it was because of the power supply. REDFOX M7MIA is very similar to the biostar, it even has the same name which is M7MIA :)