What's more system intensive? Mouse on USB or PS2

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Anybody know?

I've noticed sometimes when there's heavy hard disk activity and a mouse is plugged into the USB port it start to get unresponsive.

This doesn't happen so much on PS2 but PS2 isn't as smooth. However I know you can increase the sample rate of the PS2 port but then does that place a heavier load on the system?

Thanks.

Beer is the devil's piss.

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Make sure you have DMA turned on for the disk. My mouse was extremely sluggish during heavy disk operations until I figured this out. Now it's smooth under both USB and PS/2 (I have two mice hooked up to my system).

My guess is USB is more work; the number of events coming into the processor should be the same, but there's more layers of software drivers and request routing to go through for USB.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
es I agree with your answer there, because I felt also that USB has MoBo drivers, then OS drivers and then the actual driver for the mouse itself gets installed too, I knida see where you're getting at, but come to think of it maybe the speed of the USB bus compensates for that.

Beer is the devil's piss.

G

Something similar happened to me. It's because I have an ATA100 harddrive and Windows 2000 which automatically thinks the harddrive is ATA66. It'll get all laggy when the harddrive is active. I got that changed and now its working great.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
USB is less reliable than PS/2, BUT since you probably NEED your USB controller for other things, you could save an IRQ by disabling the PS/2 mouseport and using it for other things.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine