Sign in with
Your question

Pc vs. Consoles for gaming

Last response: in Video Games
June 4, 2011 9:38:55 PM

Me and my friend have an argument...
He says consoles is the best for gaming - I say PC is the way to go!
Price has nothing to do with it, I just want to know which one is better.

My reasons why PC is better:
1: AA and AF
2: Up to 2560 x 1600 resolution vs. the consoles 1920 x 1080 resolution
3: Music while gaming (Even watching a movie while gaming)
4: Better lightning levels
5: Better accuracy with a mouse
6: Customisable keys in most games (Wow, MW2[Crouch,Knife,Prone etc.],Tibia xD)

Well, anyone got anything to add?
I want to knock my friend down to his socks :D 

More about : consoles gaming

June 4, 2011 9:46:34 PM

depends what you want,

if you just want to plug and play

consoles are better if you want more customability usually better controlls

and nearly allways better graphics choose pc
June 4, 2011 9:55:10 PM

How could I forget?!
PC has got DX11, its the best thing since, well since DX10
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
June 4, 2011 10:10:08 PM

Keyboard!
I do like the specifically designed, ergonomic buttons of consoles, though.
June 5, 2011 7:15:57 AM

PC hands down has the better advantage. First off, consoles come out and they're already out of date. Pc is always in the upgrade market with graphic cards coming out almost every day. There's always room for improvement in the computer world. Consoles is good for average users who do not want to to spend money and arent very familiar with computer components and actually build a computer and troubleshoot and fix, repair, but for me, that's the beauty.
Manufactures always come out with new hardware/sorftware technology to improve in the "visual" world. You have eyefinity, 3DVision, then you have customizable graphic features.
Consoles - quick, pop a game in and play...Oh and I must add, don't experience the full visual performance ;) 
June 5, 2011 12:40:09 PM

v1zzle said:
PC hands down has the better advantage. First off, consoles come out and they're already out of date. Pc is always in the upgrade market with graphic cards coming out almost every day.

So then PCs are also out of date the moment a new component comes out. Upgrades also account for software, keep this in mind.

v1zzle said:
There's always room for improvement in the computer world.

Same can be said for the console world. Hell there is room for improvement in my coffee maker too.

v1zzle said:
Consoles is good for average users who do not want to to spend money and arent very familiar with computer components and actually build a computer and troubleshoot and fix, repair, but for me, that's the beauty.

Do not WANT or CANT? Even most PC buffs can't afford to keep a truely updated PC, i'm sure they all want to though. I know I do.
Building, repairing, fixing (I think thats the same as repair) is a wonderful part of having a PC, alas that has nothing to do with gaming.

v1zzle said:
Manufactures always come out with new hardware/sorftware technology to improve in the "visual" world. You have eyefinity, 3DVision

Wii with its motion sensing, kinect, ps3 eye thingy, and ook at the graphic updates from 1st gears of war to the next. Look at the halo series, developers are improving the visual world of these game systems by maximizing YEARs old hardware.

v1zzle said:
then you have customizable graphic features.

I have to give you this one. Scalability.

v1zzle said:
Consoles - quick, pop a game in and play...Oh and I must add, don't experience the full visual performance ;) 

Since the majority of PC games are now console ports we don't get the full visual capabilities of our hardware, much less so than on consoles.

The only real arguement is the one you didn't bring up. Which is kB&M vs gamepads/controlers.

KB&M all the way.
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 5, 2011 4:50:05 PM

I prefer PC games to console games because:

1. Keyboard & mouse controls.

2. Certain types of games are not offered by consoles like strategy and space combat simulations.

3. You are limited to a 720p resolution game that is stretched to fill a 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 resolution screen.

4. Community created mods which not only enhances gameplay but also extends gameplay with new areas/maps. Console games don't have this ability. Simple example is all the free mods available for Fallout 3 that can only be used on a PC.

5. Better graphics and overall better performance. There are exceptions though like the PC ported version of GTA IV.

6. Games designed for PCs can be more expansive. Example, Crysis vs Crysis 2.

In Crysis you had multiple options on how to get to your primary object, and you had the option of doing or skipping secondary objectives that were in a total different direction than the primary objective.

In Crysis 2 there were no multiple paths. You go in one direction, the same direction every time you played the game. There may have been a couple of secondary objects but they were in the same general map of the primary objective.

-------------------------------------------

The best thing about consoles in my option are:

1. You don't have to worry about upgrading to play up coming games.
2. It's cheaper than buying a PC. But you can do more with a PC.
3. The PS3 comes with a Blu Ray drive, therefore no need to buy a separate Blu Ray player.
June 6, 2011 7:04:53 PM

With PC you get a better quality of gaming as in mods, better graphics and the ability to change settings, and imo it seems there is more communication and teamwork while on pc because when im on xbox there are always idiots screaming and not helping your team win.

Also almost any decent PC can play every game that comes out even if you have an old pc, just put the graphic settings on low and you still have better graphics than xbox.

June 6, 2011 7:29:39 PM

ineedaname8 said:
With PC you get a better quality of gaming as in mods, better graphics and the ability to change settings,

Mods for PC is huge. The mods I used for most of my games have given 100+ hrs of replay value. Look at how many mods eventually turn in full on games. Consoles cannot compete here, you are stuck with plan old vanilla for every game.
June 7, 2011 2:01:11 AM

I like a mix of both. I have a PS3 and my old gaming pc that's like 4-5 years old. Gotta drop a quad in it still though. But PS3 has games pc does not, however, even with my old pc, I just put a lower end graphics card in, the gts 450, and even then my old dual core bottlenecks my new card.

Even though that's the case, if the games were to be the same, my pc smacks the ps3 in the mouth graphics wise. I mean literally, consoles are plug and play, but the hardware in the ps3 for example is 4-5 generations behind the pc. Xbox and ps3 are cool, but graphics wise, they don't touch pc, not even my 5 year old athlon x2.
June 7, 2011 10:40:30 AM

There are pros and cons for both.

Consoles offer a low barrier of entry, easier access and controls. And plenty of exclusive software.

PC's offer the highest visual quality, control and customizations.

I do both for the simple fact that neither trumps the other completely. When I want to play Zelda or Uncharted, I hit up the consoles. When I want to play Battlefield or Civilization, the PC is where it's at.
June 7, 2011 2:55:47 PM

I prefer the PC for the majority of my gaming, however there are certain conditions where the console is easily better.

PC
- Best visual quality
- Can use keyboard and mouse for FPS' which is usually much better.
- More mods, usually more online play.
- Ability to get games for a .... reduced fee....
- And the ability to use console controllers on it.

Console
- Much better for groups of people. Not as much fun to play games with a couple of people in the PC room.
- More laid back I find. Usually playing on a couch or comfy chair in a nice living room, as opposed to a computer chair in the office.
- Offers things that PC doesn't, such as motion control on the Kinect and Wii, and rockband etc.

Overall though, I find myself playing all my games on my PC. Aside from my sports gaming which I do on my 360.
June 9, 2011 2:13:55 AM

PC Advantages:
- Keyboard and Mouse
- Mods
- Don't have to wait for the next gen system to upgrade hardware
- Typically able to have the best visual quality
- You can do things with it other then games
- Typically allows for higher resolution then console
- Access to MMO's (don't really know of any popular ones on console at the moment)

Console Advantages:
- Typically cheaper
- Less of a learning curve for people new to gaming
- Provides exceptional visuals for the hardware it is rendered on due to developers knowing exactly the specs of the machine it will run on
- Typically more of a social experience compared to PC
- Ability to have things like motion control, etc (I don't find this appealing but some do)
- Provides a push button no-maintenance solution to gaming
- Games are typically less buggy when put side to side with the PC variant

I prefer PC myself although I enjoy playing the Wii on occasion
June 11, 2011 5:54:49 PM

Both have pros and cons, but I would say PC gaming is better. Mostly because you can always upgrade a computer or buy a new one, whereas with consoles, they eventually go out of date and it's usually very quickly. Computers are also better because you can have a high-resolution game with the click of a button.

Now, where money is concerned, console gaming is very expensive. A new game for a console can cost $40-$50 where for PC it will only cost $30-$40. If it's an old game, you can even get it for PC for $20. Old games for consoles are still in the $25-$40 price range depending on how popular they are.

An example would be I that found LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 for PC for $30. If I would've bought it for Wii, it was $50.
June 11, 2011 6:07:16 PM

Keytask said:
Both have pros and cons, but I would say PC gaming is better. Mostly because you can always upgrade a computer or buy a new one, whereas with consoles, they eventually go out of date and it's usually very quickly. Computers are also better because you can have a high-resolution game with the click of a button.

Now, where money is concerned, console gaming is very expensive. A new game for a console can cost $40-$50 where for PC it will only cost $30-$40. If it's an old game, you can even get it for PC for $20. Old games for consoles are still in the $25-$40 price range depending on how popular they are.

An example would be I that found LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 for PC for $30. If I would've bought it for Wii, it was $50.

Completely agreed console gaming is expensive.

Last year i bought games like: Bioshock 2, Mafia 2, Prince of persia, metro 2033

All between 10-15usd few months after launch, while the console counterparts were still selling upwards of 40usd. anyone seriously looking to game and play alot needs to game on PC.

October 2, 2013 11:24:12 AM

I may consider a console when it supports 3D surround, which is never....
!