Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a computer with the CD ROM drive not being detected as the entire computer is in MS DOS compatability mode, now i remember a while back i heard about this and i need to add a registry setting to force windows to reinstall the IDE drivers as they are the ones with the error in system manager.
This is a bit of a catch 22 thing as i would need to reinstall using the CD ROM drive but to get the CD ROM drive working to do this i need to reinstall. Dont you love windows
Could anyone please tell me the string to add or a link to how to solve this/ any other help you can give

Thanks in advance

Chris

"A Life where can I download one of those from?"

Please dont hurt me.....please

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
What are you running? Win98? 95?

Anyway, if you install a DOS CD-ROM ATAPI driver in your config.sys and run MSCDEX.EXE in your autoexec.bat both 95 and 98 should be able to see your CD

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The machine is running windows 95, thanks for the tip ill try it out. Also thanks for the fast response

Do you know the registry setting at all to make windows find the IDE controllers again? i think it was a string like noide somewhere

Please dont hurt me.....please

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I just fell on the floor when I saw my AT&T bill - $1089.00 ($722.00 for calls I made from Russia last month :-( )

Anyway, can't you just delete the controllers from the device manager, then reboot?

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sorry about your calls

and you cant just remove it from the device manager as otherwise this just crashes the computer which then reboots with the devices there. Any news on the registry patch as i cant see any other way to sort the driver problem unfortunately

Thanks
Chris

A Life, where can i download one of those from?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
>and you cant just remove it from the device manager as otherwise this just crashes the computer which then reboots with the devices there

Well, I just did it successfully. PC didn't crash. Reinstalled on reboot