Newbie question??

Just got a new laptop and have been told it has wireless connections. It has
an icon on the case etc but can't find how to access it. Any help
appreciated...

IBM Thinkpad T41 Model 2374Qg6

> Just got a new laptop and have been told it has wireless connections. It
has
> an icon on the case etc but can't find how to access it. Any help
> appreciated...
>
> IBM Thinkpad T41 Model 2374Qg6

Do you have a wireless router or access point? A wireless capable laptop
without a wireless network is useless wirelessly

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 21:54:30 -0000, "Richie"
<badger@rbywater.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Just got a new laptop and have been told it has wireless connections. It has
>an icon on the case etc but can't find how to access it. Any help
>appreciated...
>
>IBM Thinkpad T41 Model 2374Qg6

One would also assume that it has an operating system. XP or W2K?
Both should show a "Connections Manager" in the system tray (lower
right of screen) that is identified as a wireless device. If not, you
have some updating to do. Go unto a high speed connection and update:
Windoze XP
Office XP (if installed)
All the IBM stuff
Any applications that demand your attention.
The last time I did this with a new IBM Thinkpad, it took something
like 3 hours of downloading, installing, and rebooting. Yawn.

Also, you'll find a wireless device icon under:
My Network Places -> Wireless Something -> properties

There may also be a configuration utility in the Control Panel and on
the Start -> Programs menu.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

TRENDING THREADS