Slow Data Transfer speed

G

I've been troubleshooting my CDRW buffer underruns and my software says that my 36x CDROM is only sending data to the burner at 2x. I popped in a new 40x and got a result of 3x.

My CD and burner are on the same data cable, and the CD is the master. In the past I haven't had a problem but a couple weeks ago I did a clean install. I'm wondering if a chipset driver didn't install properly or maybe a bad data cable?

The burner is a new Sony 12x. Mobo is a Asus K7M. I briefly installed a TEAC 12x with the same results. Looks like my drives are fine.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Though 2/3x is awfully slow, try switching your CDROM to the channel with your HDD so that your CDROM and CDRW are on separate channels.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Followup........

The CDROM seems to operate normally, e.g., you can hear it change speed, until it is starts to be used as the source drive for the burner. Then it sounds like it hardly spins.

G

sounds more like your cd/rw is requesting data transfer speeds of 2x or 4x.......what speed is your cd burner? If its faster than 4x, you may need to set it to record at a faster speed. many are set to default to 2x or 4x to avoid buffer underruns. Also, check to see that both drives are set to use DMA, and yeah, probably a good idea to have the hard disk and the cd-rom on the same channel and the cd burner on another channel.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Two thoughts.

Are you ripping audio? Some CD-ROMs have crappy audio extraction rates.

Are you using shareware burner software or commercial software? For example the shareware version of MusicMatch Jukebox writes at reduced speed. (I can't remember if it is 1X or 2X). If you register this software you can write at the max speed of your CD Writer. It is the shareware version that is supplied with many CD Writers.

G

without getting into details, CD to CD is generally a waste of time unless you have a top-end drive like Asus or Kenwood.

your Sony is a good burner: just copy to hard drive and let it rip max speed. all problems solved.

Nvidia where <font color=blue>Crush</font color=blue>