Damn asus boards. There's always a stupid problem.

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Asus boards according to maxtor don't have built in support for large hard drives. I was thinking of getting a 75 gig ibm hard drive, but I overheard a couple of techies talking about a "large drive support" issue with asus boards and held up. To see if they were right, I tested my buddy's 80 gig maxtor on my CUSL2 and sure enough, it didn't work; the board only registered the drive as 12 gigs. Called up maxtor tech support and they said it was a motherboard issue. I then tested the drive on a gigabyte, and intel board (all 815e), and no problem, it worked just fine. I was under the impression asus was one of the best, but, good grief, not being able to support a modern hard drive is more than an oversite, it's absolutely ridiculous. High end board my but. I definitely wouldn't buy an asus board for use on a server, not if they have issues this fundamental. Good performer, but what's the use if it only supports stone age hardware. Very disappointed.

G

Hello,

First of all, Maxtor is not the board manufacturer. Though they may offer some helpful advice, ASUS is the one to ask about this problem. Second, I have never heard of this problem with this board. Don't you think that if this limitation existed ASUS would say this in the specks? Sure they would. So the Maxtor comment is questionable. I reviewed the on-line pdf manual for this board (PG34, PG43 and PG44 (start-up) and PGS 53-55. If you followed all these procedures and the drive did not work then you may have done something wrong. I am not trying to be an a$$ hole it is just the way it is. If you just tossed in another drive from another machine that was already loaded then what do you think is going to happen if you do not re-configure your BIOS for the new drive, never mind that the drive thinks it is in the original machine. Go into the BIOS, check the settings in the drive categories (and SUB- categories. Ensure you followed the instructions from the manual pages above. LOOK in the BIOS on the first boot up and SEE if the drive is detected as an 80GB. If not then try setting the settings manually (the page references above will help. If all this fails then I would contact ASUS (Page 3 of the on-line manual) PRIOR to flashing the BIOS. I say this because flashing the BIOS should be done as needed or as a LAST RESORT to attempt to fix a problem. If it isn’t broken then don't fix it in other words. This is the safe policy and at the moment I am not convinced the board is the issue.
Respectfully,
alwaysanoption

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I already have the latest bios installed. The disk you mention was formated in pure dos mode with fdisk on all test machines. While the bios detected the drive, its default settings were incorrect, ie 12 gigs. I really have better things to do than manually set heads and cylinders for every hard drive i use, and besides which my customers won't have a clue of how to do it if they ever have to. Additionally, I tested the bios using a dos utility that is soposed to recognize large hard drive support; it failed. I have already spoken to asus about the problem, no return reply as of yet, one week later. At this point in time, until i've heard a reputable source confirm that they have got a large hard drive to automatically function correctly on an asus board, I will have to hold up on any further purchases from this company. Even if this problem is addressed in the near future, it raises serious concerns that they should wait so long to fix such a fundamental issue. As an aside, gigabyte addressed the large hard drive issue in all of their bios updates over a year ago shortly before the introduction of ibm's 75 gig, I checked their website.

Andyddr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I have a Cusl2 with a 30 gig Western Digital and no prob.
Ata100...it`s all good for me. Or is this not big?

Your new hardware is out-of-date

G

You state that you used the DOS mode Fdisk command to format this disk. For the record, I have run into some very weird errors using DOS's FDISK command before, specifically not being able to format the whole disk.

My problems were encountered using a WIN98 boot disk and a Western Digital 18 GB Expert drive about a year and a half ago (on an ASUS P2B-F, a BX chipset board). FDISK was reporting bad sectors, errors, etc. and I was mad as heck. I was thinking I had a bad hard drive. Nothing should be more reliable than FDISK running in real mode DOS, right? Wrong.

After chasing this problem for 3 hours, I downloaded Western Digital's formating and partitioning software off of their web site (used be called EZ-Drive, think it is called Data Lifeguard Tools now). The executable created a bootable floppy. I ran it once, it partitioned everything correctly and that drive is still working fine in a different machine. It had no bad sectors or other problems.

My lesson from that experience is that I NEVER use FDISK to set up partitions anymore. I always use the utility supplied by the drive manufacturer. I don't have a good reason why FDISK failed to work with that setup, but I've seen the same problem occur twice since then (including a Maxtor 30 GB drive).

A scientist will never show any kindness for a theory which he did not start himself. – Mark Twain

alph

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
i have a way to large quantum for my bios (my bios detects it as 11 gb or something) but after i used quanums hdd software it works fine (partition tool built in). The bios still think it´s 11 but os does not. So i recommend that you download the manufacturers software.

<font color=purple> djadja</font color=purple>