Sign in with
Your question

How much power does a gaming rig use?

Last response: in Video Games
June 6, 2011 1:47:08 PM

This is sort of a generic question but I'm curious to know how much power a standard PC/Gaming rig really uses. I consistently get high power bills that are generally 50 dollars higher then anyone I know. I only game around 2 hours a day and sometimes not at all and I keep everything else shut down when i'm not around yet my bills are always high.

Specs:

AMD 965 X4
Gigabyte MBO
8GB ram
700 Watt Cosair
Radeon 5870

3 x 24' monitors (I shut these off during the day)

1 x 5year old blade server... xeon single for 3ghz, 2gb ram, dual power supply. Not sure all of the specs off the top of my head.

So my basic question is could these two pieces of equipment drive my electric bill that much higher then anyone elses? Perhaps a surround sound system? I'm looking for any guideance in the matter.

More about : power gaming rig

June 6, 2011 4:55:21 PM

The monitors will use around 150-200W collectively, I think, and the system probably 200-400 W. Is the server on all the time? If so, that could be a major culprit.
m
l
Related resources
June 6, 2011 8:28:22 PM

Power consumption really depends on what components you have in your PC.

I used a Kill-A-Watt to measure my current PC in my sig some time ago which also includes 6 hard drives and 2 DVD burners. While gaming I believe my computer draws about 270w - 280w of power and that includes one of my 26" LCD monitor and my Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia speakers.
m
l
!