Sign in with
Your question

What is a low ping rate?

Last response: in Video Games
June 6, 2011 10:35:33 PM

I play an internet golf game and wonder if my "ping" rate is low enough... I know what it is (26ms) but I have no data to compare it with. What is considered a low ping rate and what is a normal download speed and upload speed? Thanks.

More about : low ping rate

June 6, 2011 11:32:34 PM

That's a reasonable ping. In NYC, I have 15ms. Below 100 is acceptable for most things (maybe not multiplayer FPS, for instance) but yours is fine for just about everything.
m
l
June 7, 2011 5:54:44 PM

some people misinterpret ping statistic very hard. So, ping is how long it takes for a signal to travel from your machine to the server of your choice. So when you get 26ms ping, that's most likely a local server. Now, do you think you will get the same ping if your server moves to the other end of the continent? absolutely not.

So when checking ping, make sure you know what you're checking against (know the location of the server you want to get ping for)

up and down are variable, depending on network load, devices used, etc etc majority of online games are optimized to a point where you're exchaning bits of information very fast, so you don't really need a 5mb connection for stable gaming.

the biggest issue with online gaming is network hiccups and intermittent packet delay. These also depend on many many things, but it is all toghether defined by quality of service. If your online game is a quality product, it will have quality servers that will be able to provide quality service to everyone who connects no matter if it be 12ms or 100 ms pings.
m
l
Related resources
June 12, 2011 4:11:48 PM

3ms 60 miles away
m
l
June 12, 2011 9:00:23 PM

I get about 100+ never had it below in bfbc2. Seems like the only game where I get this ,but it seems universally higher than other shooters.
m
l
June 13, 2011 1:16:13 PM

mute20 said:
I get about 100+ never had it below in bfbc2. Seems like the only game where I get this ,but it seems universally higher than other shooters.

typical mistake I described above. Where are the servers for all your other shooters? Where are the servers for BFBC2? what route does a signal take when traveling from your machine to the game server? those are the things responsible for your ping, not the game itself.
m
l
June 14, 2011 2:02:00 PM

Ping is the time it takes to send a message (usually 16k) to some location and get a response. In games, its a measure of communication delay between you and the server.

Generally, even for FPS shooters, anything under 150ms is "good enough", and anything under 100ms is what you hope to achieve. Anything under 50ms is excellent.

Quote:

EA has some really BAD netcode in its games, which adds some substantial delay to the signal.
m
l
!