Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Valve Wants to Make Half-Life Movie Themselves

Last response: in News comments
August 30, 2010 11:19:27 AM

I would love to see a TF movie. Would be awesome.
But I can live with the HalfLife too ir it's made by valve.
Score
August 30, 2010 11:25:11 AM

I would love a Half-Life movie though not sure how it would do seeing mostly gamers will connect the name with the depth of the story and not the average person who goes to the movies on a weekly basis.
Score
August 30, 2010 11:27:20 AM

No no no! We see enough animation from Valve already. I want to see a real movie from them. A Half-Life movie with someone like Clive Owen would be amazing. The game has a good story line and it would make a great movie.
Score
August 30, 2010 11:28:36 AM

i have all the TF2 movies saved on my machine. i think they are brilliant and very well done. the writing/scripts are well thought out and the little details they put into them make them that much better. things like the intel room passcode being 1-1-1-1, and its the only dirty button on the pad, or the sniper smile right before he fires his gun, or the noise the chair makes when the HWG moves it.

that said im not sure about a HL2 movie, but valve has showed they have a good writing staff and their animation is pretty good, so im sure they could pull it off, the question is, should they?
Score
August 30, 2010 11:49:48 AM

As long as they're willing to make it 6 hours per major instalment and 2 hours for every episode. No 90 minute crap. Half Life trilogy, Half Life 2 trilogy, HL2:EP1 single, HL2:EP2 another single movie.
I would pay $20 for every disc. $200 to get them all on Bluray in a collectors edition.

There are too many great novels and the such that became movies hat weren't worth watching.It's not about $100,000,000 budgets, it's about taking your time, getting the appropriate director and actors (not just the most popular, like Tom Cruise and Michael Bay), and staying true to the original script (too many liberties are taken sometimes in the transition, liberties that can ruin it for the die hard fan).
Score
August 30, 2010 11:56:59 AM

The concept of a Half-Life movie makes me a bit nervous since most video game movies are hideously bad. Although if Valve made it themselves it could be pretty good. Just keep Uwe Boll the hell away from it!!!
Score
August 30, 2010 12:09:18 PM

wonder if a half life movie would be delayed so it could be released on ps3 too. ;) 

i want portal2 now!
Score
August 30, 2010 12:11:46 PM

IMO if its going to be rendered with the source engine, even if it's cg, it would feel to similar to the half life games themselves to not feel redundent. It would have to have a seperate story. That would be exellent. GlaDos cameo anyone?
Score
August 30, 2010 12:12:30 PM

More like give it to HBO and let them make a TV show out of it. That I'd watch.
Score
August 30, 2010 12:12:36 PM

agree with travis beane!
Score
August 30, 2010 12:13:02 PM

Well, I think that's awesome that they decided not to let Hollywood change so many things up (I don't know what you'd call it - "Hollywoodize"?) like it has with so many comicbook, novel, and videogame stories like X-Men, and things of that nature.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there are movies that do end up being good, but for hardcore fans of something, it's not always liked because the story has been changed up so much up for the mainstream and not you, the original audience.
Score
August 30, 2010 12:17:54 PM

NOT BAD THO IT INTERESTING TO SEE THIS KINDA STORY LINE KINDA LIKE BAD COMPANY
Score
August 30, 2010 12:19:55 PM

Quote:
Newell made it clear that it's not a talent problem, as he admits to being a World of Warcraft player
Well that explains his enormous size.
Score
August 30, 2010 12:40:43 PM

I'd love to see a movie, but it would have to be real, not animated. The only thing is they have to tailor to the likes of all sorts of gamers, who have their own views on each character. I think it'll end up being a split, with only some gamers really appreciating it, especially if they deviate from the story line much.
Score
August 30, 2010 12:44:26 PM

Now thats, how its done. Don't get some hairbrained hollywodd guy who've never played the game or loved it to make the movie. Make it yourselve valve. Whatever you come up with it will be miles better than what hollywood can dish up with. Lately they seem to make movies in a template... dished with slightly different colors.

You've got the heart for it and thats what counts.
Score
August 30, 2010 12:47:21 PM

A Half-Life movie is unnecessary
Score
August 30, 2010 12:49:14 PM

I'd enjoy that, the few videos they did make were entertaining and well done! Animated would be best though, You can add so much more in animations because you're not restricted when it comes to "Action" sequences by the inability of a real human. Mind you, they better start thinking of releasing "Meet the Medic" before releasing a movie.
Score
August 30, 2010 12:50:29 PM

i would love the Team fortress 2 movies especially exactly like these trailers i loved them Funny and the voices were on par so Valve make a Team Fortress 2 movie instead if they made it and it cost 10+ bucks to go see id pay in a heart beat for that kind of quality
Score
August 30, 2010 12:52:23 PM

An entire movie where the main character doesn't say a word?
Score
August 30, 2010 12:52:33 PM

Make the movie or not, for God's sake tell us something about the next half-life game. It has already been 3 years now for crying out loud!
Score
August 30, 2010 12:53:24 PM

A Half Life movie would have to be a live action film, not an animation. Not enough people would take a cartoon seriously.
Score
August 30, 2010 1:01:15 PM

the problem I see with a halflife movie is that you are gordon freeman. you are a silent protagonist who never really says anything. I'm not syaing its impossible to do, butit'd be hard, i mean the only movie i can think of that has pulled off anything similar would be kurt russell in soldier where he might say 30 words but he was a trained soldier vs gordon freeman who was just a scientist who happens to be in a situation calling him (you) to overcome the situation

as a movie tough while i see it possible to make a good movie with the story there isn't a was to make it true to the game since you wouldn't be in it yourself.
Score
August 30, 2010 1:20:03 PM

A cartoon halflife movie would b a bit disappointing. As a long time fan of the halflife series what I want is a full blown action movie. As for team fortress, a cartoon comedy would be great!
Score
August 30, 2010 1:22:40 PM

unless they get someone like JJ Abrams, valve should stick to making games. speaking of which, where the f**k is episode 3?
Score
August 30, 2010 1:24:27 PM

g00fysmileythe problem I see with a halflife movie is that you are gordon freeman. you are a silent protagonist who never really says anything. I'm not syaing its impossible to do, butit'd be hard, i mean the only movie i can think of that has pulled off anything similar would be kurt russell in soldier where he might say 30 words but he was a trained soldier vs gordon freeman who was just a scientist who happens to be in a situation calling him (you) to overcome the situation as a movie tough while i see it possible to make a good movie with the story there isn't a was to make it true to the game since you wouldn't be in it yourself.

i seriously doubt they would try to make the half-life movie a literal remake of the game where the lead character doesn't say a word.
Score
August 30, 2010 1:33:37 PM

"Boom! Headshot!" Meet the Sniper homage to FPS Doug? :) 
Score
August 30, 2010 1:43:36 PM

I really like Valve's attitude towards this. They basically say that they are for a Half-Life movie, which would totally rock my world, but they won't accept Hollywood crap in it, which just really tops it off! :) 

With the pretty nifty fan-based movie we've all seen, we know what that movie could looks and feels like.
Score
August 30, 2010 1:47:41 PM

Why does everyone assume valve would be able to make a good movie? Afaik, they've never made a movie before. Last I heard, there is a bit of skill involved there.
Score
August 30, 2010 1:50:38 PM

Am I the only one who is freaked out by that black dude with a valve on his head? That things been giving me nightmares since HL1.
Score
August 30, 2010 1:52:46 PM

Spies get all the girls, I guess it is a matter of being good in infiltrations :p 
Score
August 30, 2010 2:01:41 PM

I don't think they can make a movie with Gordon in it. If he talks, it'll break the game. Until he talks in the game, he's off limits in the movie. If anything, a movie should focus on Alex and Barney at some point between HL and HL2. Maybe even focus on Breem as some sort of a hero until he rises to power, becoming the villain of HL2.
Score
August 30, 2010 2:15:56 PM

Spirits Within was pretty decent, wasn't great, but I think it's one of the better video game movies out there, Advent Children was good too. I think if it's done in house, it's got a decent chance of being a decent movie, who understands the characters better than the team that works with them on a daily basis?
Score
August 30, 2010 2:17:30 PM

I'm not sure Half-Life would make a good movie. For one thing the main character never speaks in the game, so they would have to build this guy up. Also some of the metaphysical elements wouldn't translate well as a movie, like the G-Man the Vortogaunts, or the resurrection of Alyx.
Score
August 30, 2010 2:52:30 PM

Matt314, I am glad that I am not the only one haha.
Score
August 30, 2010 2:52:46 PM

I'm not sure about a movie but if they released a digital short every week I would sure make it my business to not miss it. The TF shorts are a lot of fun to watch, just another +1 to Valve.
Score
August 30, 2010 2:54:12 PM

Sounds interesting. Personally, I would just be happy if Valve would put out Half Life 2: Episode 3. Its been a couple years since Episode 2 and I want this part of the story finished. Some of us are pretty much giving up on it at this point. I even removed HL2 and Episodes 1 and 2 off my system.
Score
August 30, 2010 3:03:00 PM

matt314Am I the only one who is freaked out by that black dude with a valve on his head? That things been giving me nightmares since HL1.

Only you :)  Even since since the first time seeing it from HL, i got the meaning behind it.
Score
August 30, 2010 3:09:52 PM

I believe that a lot of story would have to be added to make the characters more interesting for a Half Life movie. Not like Freeman does much but kill things, wait it works for Seagal & Stallone hmm, uh never mind then bring on Half Life the Movie!
Score
August 30, 2010 3:12:19 PM

Half-Life has a great story.. even if you have never played the game... the story would stand on its own. Problem is.. the game doesn't have enough story to make a movie.. so valve is the best option to make the film because they can fill in the holes of the story. I would like to see a real film.. not animated. Instead of following the game.. they should just tell the story.. Gordon doesn't need to be the action hero of the game.. just a guy caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would like to see more about black mesa and the governments involvement with the project. They should make more emphases on the HEV suite and the tech behind it.
Score
August 30, 2010 3:36:48 PM

Who touched Natasha?!?! I'd love to see a movie made by Valve. I bet they would blow away what Hollywood could do with the same story basis.
Score
Anonymous
August 30, 2010 3:45:00 PM

Do it yourself, Hollywood has ruined so many good books that it makes me sick. I'm tired of some wiz-bang screen writer deciding whats important, and what to cut. They always do a terrible job and ruin the project! Just look at most of the Stephen King movies, the books were awesome but the films, most of them sucked real bad. Excluding The Green Mile and Stand By Me of course. Salem's Lot don't even come close to the book.
Score
August 30, 2010 3:47:20 PM

... and why not... let them do it...
Score
August 30, 2010 3:47:42 PM

AND FROM THAT DAY FORWARD EVERY TIME A BUNCH OF ANIMALS ARE TOGHETER IN ONE PLACE ITS CALLED A ZOO!!

UNLESS IT'S A FARM!!!!
Score
August 30, 2010 3:48:20 PM

Seriously they couldn't do any worse than Uwe Boll.
Score
August 30, 2010 3:50:38 PM

Half Life: The Movie starring Edward Norton as Gordon, Christopher Walkin as G-Man, Jessica Alba as Alyx, Danny Glover as Eli, and Christopher Lloyd as Dr. Kleinman. Also featuring Bob Hoskins as Barney!

Coming to a theater near you soon...in 2015....I mean 2018...let's be real here, no sooner than 2020.

PREPARE YOURSELF
Score
August 30, 2010 3:52:31 PM

Cmartin011NOT BAD THO IT INTERESTING TO SEE THIS KINDA STORY LINE KINDA LIKE BAD COMPANY

Are you a 12 yo?
Score
August 30, 2010 3:59:07 PM

Petey1013More like give it to HBO and let them make a TV show out of it. That I'd watch.

I agree with this.
Score
August 30, 2010 4:09:51 PM

i particularly like the idea of Valve taking care of its own franchise. Hollywood often ruins stories even though they are great filmmakers.
Score
!