what kinda slot MB's can come with

G

is it true motherboard only come with SIMM and DIMM, or another MB will come with only RIMM and CRIMMS? can anyone explain this is extremely confusing to me or point me into a direction to an article that explains. thanks alot

kavbear

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
What memory a mobo uses depends on its chipset. As far as I know, no chipset supports SDRAM (Simms, Dimm, DDR) and RDRAM (Rimms and Crimms). To choose a mobo, you have to decide what apps you want, what cpu and what's in your price range. Check out some of the stuff in Tom's Mobo guide. He's got all kinds of info and benchmarks. Then you can check out Pricewatch for good deals. Always read the fine print though, and make sure you get what you think you're getting...

Are we there yet?

G

hmm what do you mean no chipset supports that stuff? then i can't use it

kavbear

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Zila already answered for me, but I want to clarify that that is what I meant. No current chipset supports both memory modules. Basically, if you want RDRAM, go with a P4 and an Intel Mobo (I wouldn't dothis), if you want DDR you need Athlon, maybe Athlon4 and and Athlon Mobo...

Are we there yet?

kavbear

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Huh, I knew Intel was working on DDR chipsets, but I didn't know they were already out. How are they performing?

Are we there yet?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
VIA came out with them, Tom reviewed motherboards with them, they do not outperform the SDR chipsets at all. Remember that the PIII has an SDR bus, and can't take advantage of the extra bandwidth that DDR provides. That's the main reason the PIII performed better with SDRAM than RDRAM in most aplications-it couldn't take advantage of RDRAM's bandwidth. When ATI introduces DDR for the P4, we should be able to get a good comaprison, as the P4 can actually take advantage of the bandwidth.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

kavbear

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I wasn't paying attention before. I thought you WERE talking about DDR for P4. I really don't consider PIII as a real solution for anyone upgrading now since the cpu line is defuct. Don't get me wrong, the have decent performance, but since they won't be produced in higher clockspeeds, they're kinda a dead-end for future upgrades.

Are we there yet?