Sign in with
Your question

Console Ports To Pc- Is it really that bad?

Last response: in Video Games
June 8, 2011 5:24:26 PM

I've been a console person majority of my life, and decided a couple months ago to build a pc to harnest all of that Battlefield 3 goodness that would be lacking on the 360.

From reading alot of the forums, i see alot of people who hate console ports. I guess i just don't understand all the hate, imo the games look pretty good still. I can't really think of a reason to really hate a port.

Opinions and Thoughts?

More about : console ports bad

June 8, 2011 6:19:22 PM

It's because a console has a limited level of hardware, so when the game is ported to the PC, sometimes the company who made it will not bother to make better graphics possible on the PC.

Therefore the PC gamers have wasted money on expensive hardware that won't be properly made use of.

Thus the FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU that results each time this happens.
June 8, 2011 6:28:23 PM

It's like riding around town in a yugo with a ferrari at home in the garage. Some console ports (GTA 4) run horrendously on superior hardware because of bad platform transfers. If you own a gaming PC, it is rewarding to see a game with new features that you pay for. console ports typically have no intention of utilizing the PC's capabilities, and alot of people agree that this is keeping gaming behind. There are few companies willing to go the extra mile to make a truly eye-gougingly beautiful experience like metro or witcher2 with the ease and accessibility of consoles. take modern warfare for example- pile of graphical garbage.
Related resources
June 8, 2011 6:41:18 PM

My biggest gripe regarding ports other than the sometimes aweful graphics is the lack of keyboard and mouse button binding. I always change my AWSD to use the arrow keys, along with a buch of other keys and mouse buttons I like to change. Nothing worse than having an 8 button mouse and not being able to use more than 2.
June 8, 2011 7:08:08 PM

Console ports usually don't have a lot of options you can change and they also do not usually have a console where you can type commands to change FOV and other settings like that.
June 8, 2011 7:15:24 PM

Don't forget the crappy console controls, like in AvP, make the games very clunky on PC. Plus the overuse of radial menus for the stupid thumbsticks. But as with most mainstream tech they cater to the lowest common denominator, the outdated console graphics.

The only plus to all this is that my 5870's in CF will max any game in the next 3+ yrs without a problem. They will hardly be pushed by any new game, save BF3(crosses his figures that they don't pull a Crytek)
June 9, 2011 12:30:38 PM

Now i see, guess i haven't really noticed all those limitations that the pc get stripped out when its supposed to be the same game. From a console standpoint, outside of sometimes able to customize the controls there really wasn't much we could change because everything was optimized, great for pick up and play. I don't see myself getting too angry about graphics but I can agree that this gens pc tech is completely blowing xbox 360 and ps3 out the water, the main reason i switched. The main res I'll be playing at is true 1080p so as long as it looks great at that level it'll be a worthwhile investment. Thanks for all your opinions and thoughts
June 9, 2011 12:50:08 PM

It's not as bad as some elitists make it try to be, "Oh, it's multiplatform so I hate it now!"
Take Bethesda for example, Fallout 3 and New Vegas was terribly ported, although patches did fix a number of issues. I'm sure there will be quite a bit of issues with Skyrim V on PC over what you'd find on a console though. More than likely BF3 will have issues, but they'll be minimum in the long-run and hopefully fixed in a short amount of time.
That being said, people still buy these ported games for PC, and I hope it tells developers that PC sales are worthy for optimizing and developing towards. I'll end up buying Skyrim V on the PC, even though it's targetted towards consoles. Although there may be people who go and say, "Stop buying PC games, then they'll rethink about the DRM" or, "Stop buying PC games, then they'll finally target development for it first" it's a terrible plan that would only lead to PC gamings death.
June 9, 2011 5:03:30 PM

dalta centauri said:
"Stop buying PC games, then they'll finally target development for it first" it's a terrible plan that would only lead to PC gamings death.

You are right on that point. And the dev's will obviously target the consoles because that is where the money is to be made. I am pretty confident that console ports are the future and putting the PC first like BF3 will be extremely rare from now on.
June 9, 2011 8:24:30 PM

Imo I'm confused on why they just don't make the games for PC first? considering they develope the game on a PC. Seems easy enough to me....

Have all the high tech stuff for dx11.....then to port to console take out all dx11 features and lower the textures to bad ones....is it that hard?
June 9, 2011 8:31:56 PM

ineedaname8 said:
Imo I'm confused on why they just don't make the games for PC first? considering they develope the game on a PC. Seems easy enough to me....

Have all the high tech stuff for dx11.....then to port to console take out all dx11 features and lower the textures to bad ones....is it that hard?

+1. They should give PC gamers what they want, then dumb it down for consoles - they wont notice a difference like we do the other way around.
June 10, 2011 5:09:28 PM

Trialsking said:
You are right on that point. And the dev's will obviously target the consoles because that is where the money is to be made. I am pretty confident that console ports are the future and putting the PC first like BF3 will be extremely rare from now on.

Actually, I believe the opposite. As it'll turn out, PC will gain more popularity until the next-gen consoles. More then likely the Wii U won't get any extra graphical features except for a few potential exclusive games and having a better native resolution.
Once the next gen consoles release, games will be focused on consoles again with the PC fading out.
June 27, 2011 3:31:38 AM

Uhg Ports, Console to PC Ports, anger me. Basically we get a game that is optimized for a 5 year old system, and a game that is built from a 12 year olds feedback. (I couldn't quickscope I hate this game)

Almost everyone i know that has a console rarely plays it, except their little brother or sister does. I know very little people that are 17+ that prefer console over PC. It seems as you mature, the platform you play on changes, Its easy to understand as the advantages of a PC are increasing every day.
Basically if your a Kid, you play consoles. If your an adult, you own a Gaming PC.
Its either something the developers don't know, or they do know, and they will just follow the guy with the more money.

I Like to look at it this way.

What can a Console do that a PC can't? Kinect, Motion capture? PC will go there when 3D immersion becomes the next gen. Right now its a waste of time.

The biggest debate, Price!

A Mid to high end Gaming PC, $800-$1000. Screen, keyboard, and all.
V
$300+ for a Console.

The average person, "DUH Console it's $600 Cheaper."
What house these days doesn't have a form of computer in it, if that be a desktop or laptop? That computer probably cost you $600. now add the Console.
In sum, you spent $900 on a Media PC and a console....

If you want to get the best gaming experience, pc will never let you down.
June 27, 2011 3:59:22 AM

pipinhot2 said:
Uhg Ports, Console to PC Ports, anger me. Basically we get a game that is optimized for a 5 year old system, and a game that is built from a 12 year olds feedback. (I couldn't quickscope I hate this game)

Almost everyone i know that has a console rarely plays it, except their little brother or sister does. I know very little people that are 17+ that prefer console over PC. It seems as you mature, the platform you play on changes, Its easy to understand as the advantages of a PC are increasing every day.
Basically if your a Kid, you play consoles. If your an adult, you own a Gaming PC.
Its either something the developers don't know, or they do know, and they will just follow the guy with the more money.

I Like to look at it this way.

What can a Console do that a PC can't? Kinect, Motion capture? PC will go there when 3D immersion becomes the next gen. Right now its a waste of time.

The biggest debate, Price!

A Mid to high end Gaming PC, $800-$1000. Screen, keyboard, and all.
V
$300+ for a Console.

The average person, "DUH Console it's $600 Cheaper."
What house these days doesn't have a form of computer in it, if that be a desktop or laptop? That computer probably cost you $600. now add the Console.
In sum, you spent $900 on a Media PC and a console....

If you want to get the best gaming experience, pc will never let you down.

Not to mention the TV you're playing the console on, the price of that needs to go in as well. If you bought a PS3 like I did for the Bluray, you would have most likely bought a 1080p Flat-screen as well. Add the two together and you have around 800$, where a fully built gaming computer would cost the same price (Assuming you aren't going expensive or prebuilt at all.)
As well, if you already had a Flat-Screen and weren't planning to buy a monitor you could setup the 'desktop' directly to the TV.
June 27, 2011 6:02:11 AM

PC, Cost more upfront. Cost less in the long run.
Console, Cost less upfront, Cost more in the long run. And there down right boring.

I just wish the console fags would stop trying to convince an evolved community, its like talking to monkeys. They nod their head, but don't do a thing.
July 14, 2011 5:59:19 PM

We the pc gaming community have to figure out a way to systematically wipe out our rivals "the consoles" through a series of strategic skirmishes!

To long have our games suffered from the pillaging and raping that has come from the consoles!

To long have we sat back and watched games go backwards due to limitations in thier hardware!

It is time my brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha
April 2, 2013 11:12:48 AM

I read a couple answers and completely agree, some of which I actually came up with on my own (and others did too).

So. Why is gaming on consoles so inviting?

Cost. Cost is a big thing. People look at a console at launch and say "well yea it's on $600 I'll buy that". When it's 5 years old they're still snatching them up at $300.
What they don't understand is the fact that there are a lot of extra costs such as HDMI cables, controllers etc. etc. etc. Another thing they fail to understand is the amount of times people have replaced their consoles. $600 and maybe $300 in 2 years. $900 right there.

Why PC gaming (IMO) is superior.
When you buy a console you are stuck to it and it only, suffice to say netflix isn't a big advantage either. So $600 on console, $700 on a computer. $1300 for 2 things that could be in one.

Productivity: With a PC you can do anything. Work and play, you don't need to have a $250 graphics card for excel but you do for gaming. Show me Microsoft Office, Maya 3D or even notepad on console. None? I thought so.

Performance is another great advantage. I've spent $2500 on my computer so far and that's crazy for most pc gamers. Why? Because I love cutting edge and graphics are only a nice side dish that comes with a computer that can run Nasa on a single core (eheheheheheh). I buy for now but for later as well, even thought this practice is on the fence, meaning it can be positive or negative. Think of how many games are shitty ports, they are fugly and run poorly (Cockstar and the grand theft auto series). But, when a game is done right, it runs beautifully and doesn't even need a massive rig. Also, you think you need that 1080p TV for console? Wrong. Your native OS (the thing that runs your games, you know, the start screen) is nice and simplistic and look beautiful on 1080p. But your games only run at 720p and are stretched. You might say "OH BUT THAT'S 2 DIFFERENT RESOLUTIONS THEY CAN'T DO THAT THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE". Yet again. Wrong. Because 720p and 1080p are both 16:9 configurations, it's just stretched. 720p is 1280x720 and 1080p is 1920x1080. That's a big difference and a console would lag worse than they do now (I'm sure they don't run V-Sync at 60 frames if they do probably 30FPS) at sub 30 frames. Consoles are just selling you illusions.

Another you ask? Why, with PC you get the best of both worlds. Like PS3, you get free online play but get the same service like Microsoft $60 a year Gold Subscription. You can play PC gaming on a display as big as you want in your living room but with native 1080p or better (yeah this 4K stuff isn't mainstream but it's old news for us PC gamers). Play console hate the controller? Too bad. Play PC but hate Keyboard and Mouse? Then get your favorite controller! Want to play blu-ray movies? Why not, just get a blu-ray disc drive.

And as a final point "PC GAMING IS DYING OMG JUST STOP PC FANBOYS BLARGH RUINING THE INDUSTRY WITH PIRACY NOBODY WANTS AN ELEPHANT FOR A GAMING PLATFORM".

Some of those are opinion, some are just lies saturated in more lies. PC gaming is not dying. The majority of PC sales (desktops and laptops namely) may be shrinking due to tablets and phones, but a lot of people (including elders) only need them for one thing, internet. But PC gaming as a whole has actually jumped in the past 5 years and there was an 8% increase during 2012.

Piracy, did I hear that right? My, yes I did and I'm inclined to say, theres a shit ton of piracy for consoles. But yes PC piracy is rampant and I for one contribute. Why? There are no more demos for PC, that's a major issue. A lot of "pirates" buy those games (myself included) that they like and in fact, a lot of cracking teams (the guys like RAZOR who get through shitty annoying DRMs to get you that game) actually always tell you to buy the game IF YOU ENJOYED IT. Also, theres no lost revenue if it's potential. Heck it's not even potential, nobody went into a store and actually STOLE it. Just read what CD Projekt Red said here:http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/24/cd-projekt-red-interv...

All in all. A lot of people are in denial. Sorry for the long post.

P.S PCs (a bit cliche) are a representation of self and a lot of PC gamers (myself included) are very knowledgeable.
!