HP Director on PSC 1610 won't scan

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b α HP
June 14, 2005 12:55:37 PM

We just got an HP PSC 1610 All-in-One to run on an Acer Aspire 3002
notebook. After we run the install program and reboot, Windows pops up
a message "C:\Windows\System32\services.exe has terminated
unexpectedly with status code -1073741819", then it pauses 60 seconds
and reboots. No other reboot problems after that.

When we open HP Director and try to scan a picture, we get an error
message "Sorry, could not find required user interface files." After
clicking "OK" we get a message "Unable to communicate with HP scanner
software." BTW, if I go to Control Panel and choose "Scanners and
Cameras", I can do a scan from there, so it is apparently a software
problem with HP and not a hardware problem.

After my first lengthy call with HP and multiple hour-long
unistall/reinstall attempts, HP said that my Acer was missing some
files (maybe Java related) and that I should contact Acer about it. Of
course Acer says they don't support third party hardware or software
and referred me to java.com. I downloaded the Java runtime software,
but it didn't help.

I called HP back and after a difficult conversation with a nice lady
with a very soft voice and a heavy Indian accent, she again said the
Acer was missing some files, but couldn't tell me what they were and
wouldn't escalate the call.

It appears the problem is in the HP Director software. It would be OK
if I could just install some other software, but then I can not use
the Scan button on the printer (which automatically calls up HP
Director) and this computer and scanner are going to a novice user.

Any ideas or suggestions? FYI, searching on the services.exe error
gives references to the sasser worm, but this is a brand new computer
with the latest Norton AV software, so I don't think that is it.

Thanks,
Jay

More about : director psc 1610 scan

June 14, 2005 4:14:55 PM

Jay Shilstone wrote:
> We just got an HP PSC 1610 All-in-One to run on an Acer Aspire 3002
> notebook. After we run the install program and reboot, Windows pops up
> a message "C:\Windows\System32\services.exe has terminated
> unexpectedly with status code -1073741819", then it pauses 60 seconds
> and reboots. No other reboot problems after that.

Granted, its a different printer and all... but:

I got this from another forum, it sounds like you are on XP, so some of
these might be worthwile for you to persue......

I had the original question, and after goingroundandround with 'tech
support' myself, and reading the below, none of it worked for me. I
decided to just get a freeware scanning program. Works for me, but
probably not in your case.

_____________

> "JSG" <jsg@progrock.com.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>> So, I have had this printer for 2 years. Worked just fine. I did
>>> something dumb somewhere along the way in the past two weeks and
>>> allofasudden (err) I can't scan or fax, or anything but print.
>>>
>>> Ok. I just simply re-install the software.
>>>
>>> Nope. "The script you are accessing is not able to complete"
>>> 1.restart the software
>>> 2.reboot the computer
>>> 3.reinstall the software.
>>>
>>> Ummm, yeah. Right. Endless loop.
>>>
>>> I tried to go through the registry to find all instances of the printer
>>> and delete them that way. I've looked at HP's website. I've used
>>> various registry cleaners (which DID find a lot of junk related to the
>>> printer), completely cleaned things out. Still no go.
>>>

> Jim,
> A google uncovered this...
> http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswe...
>
> These are known issues with Image Zone:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=u...
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e...
>
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
>
> For those that had Image Zone 3.5, this is a known update:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownl...
>
> HP Image Zone Plus Update (SP26330.exe) To be installed prior to XP SP2.
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownl...
>
> Hope it helps.

I do hope it helps you!

--
Jim

a b α HP
June 15, 2005 2:38:41 PM

I checked the links and they really don't apply to my problem. My
problem is with HP Director when you hit the "Scan" option. Thanks for
the attempt, though. You did turn me on to the HP Support forums. I
have posed the question there.

Jay

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:14:55 -0400, JSG
<jsgnospam@progrock.com.invalid> wrote:

>Jay Shilstone wrote:
>> We just got an HP PSC 1610 All-in-One to run on an Acer Aspire 3002
>> notebook. After we run the install program and reboot, Windows pops up
>> a message "C:\Windows\System32\services.exe has terminated
>> unexpectedly with status code -1073741819", then it pauses 60 seconds
>> and reboots. No other reboot problems after that.
>
>Granted, its a different printer and all... but:
>
>I got this from another forum, it sounds like you are on XP, so some of
>these might be worthwile for you to persue......
>
>I had the original question, and after goingroundandround with 'tech
>support' myself, and reading the below, none of it worked for me. I
>decided to just get a freeware scanning program. Works for me, but
>probably not in your case.
>
>_____________

>> Jim,
>> A google uncovered this...
>> http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswe...
>>
>> These are known issues with Image Zone:
>>
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=u...
>>
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e...
>>
>> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
>>
>> For those that had Image Zone 3.5, this is a known update:
>>
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownl...
>>
>> HP Image Zone Plus Update (SP26330.exe) To be installed prior to XP SP2.
>>
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownl...
>>
>> Hope it helps.
>
>I do hope it helps you!
a b α HP
June 16, 2005 1:12:12 PM

I finally found the answer. In addition to not being able to run HP
Director, the Acer wouldn't run Windows Update and returned an error
0x80244001. I followed the instructions to click on <Start> <Run>,
typed in "regsvr32 MSXML3.dll" and clicked OK. This re-registered
something from Microsoft's XML parser. After I rebooted, Windows
Update worked fine as did my PSC 1610.

Apparently Acer has a buggy version of their OEM XP Home on the 3002.

Thanks to all,
Jay Shilstone

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:55:37 -0500, Jay Shilstone
<shilstone.jay@shilstone.com> wrote:

>We just got an HP PSC 1610 All-in-One to run on an Acer Aspire 3002
>notebook. After we run the install program and reboot, Windows pops up
>a message "C:\Windows\System32\services.exe has terminated
>unexpectedly with status code -1073741819", then it pauses 60 seconds
>and reboots. No other reboot problems after that.
>
>When we open HP Director and try to scan a picture, we get an error
>message "Sorry, could not find required user interface files." After
>clicking "OK" we get a message "Unable to communicate with HP scanner
>software." BTW, if I go to Control Panel and choose "Scanners and
>Cameras", I can do a scan from there, so it is apparently a software
>problem with HP and not a hardware problem.
>
>After my first lengthy call with HP and multiple hour-long
>unistall/reinstall attempts, HP said that my Acer was missing some
>files (maybe Java related) and that I should contact Acer about it. Of
>course Acer says they don't support third party hardware or software
>and referred me to java.com. I downloaded the Java runtime software,
>but it didn't help.
>
>I called HP back and after a difficult conversation with a nice lady
>with a very soft voice and a heavy Indian accent, she again said the
>Acer was missing some files, but couldn't tell me what they were and
>wouldn't escalate the call.
>
>It appears the problem is in the HP Director software. It would be OK
>if I could just install some other software, but then I can not use
>the Scan button on the printer (which automatically calls up HP
>Director) and this computer and scanner are going to a novice user.
>
>Any ideas or suggestions? FYI, searching on the services.exe error
>gives references to the sasser worm, but this is a brand new computer
>with the latest Norton AV software, so I don't think that is it.
>
>Thanks,
>Jay
June 6, 2009 5:13:34 AM

I am having problems with my printer. when I click to print it makes a funny noise like when something is holding it back and It wont let it print.
!