New ATX-MB @ old AT-Tower?!

G

Hi,
ich got an old AT-BigTower. That tower has NO holes for PS2-Connection. (i think i could make that holes myself.) I bought an ATX-power supply unit.i could install that in the Tower. Now i want to buy an ATX-Mainboard. does that work? at the AT-Tower the COM and LPT connection are connected over some cables to the MB. are there ANY MB (for AMD-Athlon) where i can connect them that way?

frontloop33

PS: hope my english's not too bad! ;-)

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
I guess you're German ;>

> ich got an old.......

lol.

As far as I know the AT cases house the motherboard in a very different way to ATX.

Beer is the devil's piss.

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The only ways for it is to cut holes in the case for lpt,com1/2, e.t.c. , or unsolder the connectors from board and solder pin headers that connects to at port cables, i do things like that on old stuff, but i wouldn't do it with new mobo .

-Beer! Good!
-James Hatefild

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
get a new ATX cabinet. thats the ony thing you could do.
your old AT tower cabinet cannot have a ATX board since the backplate cutout is different. And not only that, you do not have a power button on the front panel of the cabinet. The one you have is supposed to be directly connnected to teh AT power supply. AT supply wont provide enough power for Athlon and its boards. ATX power button is connected to the moterboard and not the power supply. Besides, ATX board do not have AT style power connectors, but you have a ATX power supply so that no problem.

BTW there are no Baby-AT motherboards for Athlon/Durons I've seen, but I wont be surprised to see one sold cheap from Taiwanese origin.

girish

Bottom line: Get a new ATX chassis.

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you can cut a rectangular hole in the back of the case and mount an ATX board in it. You can also bolt in an ATX power supply. And you can use your RESET button as a power button, or modify your original power switch to make it mometary, then connect two wires to it.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Gateway has a few "convertable" towers a few years ago, where you could simply remove the top half of the backplate and install an ATX motherboard into an AT case. Their case was actually availble either way. Most of them that I have owned were ATX, but some of the ones that were AT I switched over.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine