Help: Treo 600 stayed connected for 5000+ web minutes

Help my Verizon Treo 600 stayed connected for 5000 minutes. You can
imagine the bill at$.40 a pop.

I did not surf these minutes. I've surfed about 60 minutes since owning
the phone. I read in one forum that the Treo will connect by itself if
left on.. for things like software updates etc. What's the deal with this?

Any ideas on how to get Verizon to forgive the 5000 minutes?

Any ideas what caused a connection?

I am absolutely 100% positive it was not me.

It doesn't seem proper (or legal) that their equipment can just turn on
and connect without user permission each time. What's to stop them from
continuously connecting with software updates to rack up the charge-able
minutes. There's just something wrong here.

I am wits end here. I simply am devstated by the bill. My wife called
Cust. Service with no luck. I will call tomorrow. Any advice or insight
is appreciated.

> Any ideas on how to get Verizon to forgive the 5000 minutes?

First off, really sorry to hear about this situation. Seems to me you
should for 1 month select
the 6000 minute plan on Verizon ($299) which is very high, but a lot less
than $2000 in
overages. If all else fails, call them and ask them for the 6000 minute
plan, backdated to when
this occured (which they may be able to do if it is the current billing
cycle).

Lastly, as to how it may have happened. My experience with Snappermail has
been terrible.
1st- Snappermail does not disconnect your internet connection. Both on my
6035 and now my
7135 I've had it stay connected for hours -- seems to be a glitch in
the software.
2nd- I know more than one person running snappermail with unexplained Palm
phone crashes.
I told them for the sake of testing to remove snappermail. Problem
went away immediately.

Bottom line, I am not a fan of snappermail. Their support also told me they
don't have access to all of the devices they claim to be compatible with.
They went so far as to tell me it wouldn't work with the Kyocera 6035 I had
at the time. I said fine, then take the 6035 off your compatibility list,
but they have not.

I do see some innovation with their product, but like anything else, it has
to work for me to
be able to give it any kind of consideration. Happily using the old free
Eudora for palm
complete with SSL support...

-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:55:39 -0400, Paul B
<fakemail@localhost.localdomain> wrote:

>Help my Verizon Treo 600 stayed connected for 5000 minutes. You can
>imagine the bill at$.40 a pop.
>
>I did not surf these minutes. I've surfed about 60 minutes since owning
>the phone. I read in one forum that the Treo will connect by itself if
>left on.. for things like software updates etc. What's the deal with this?
>
>Any ideas on how to get Verizon to forgive the 5000 minutes?
>
>Any ideas what caused a connection?
>
>I am absolutely 100% positive it was not me.
>
>It doesn't seem proper (or legal) that their equipment can just turn on
>and connect without user permission each time. What's to stop them from
>continuously connecting with software updates to rack up the charge-able
>minutes. There's just something wrong here.
>
>I am wits end here. I simply am devstated by the bill. My wife called
>Cust. Service with no luck. I will call tomorrow. Any advice or insight
>is appreciated.

Try contacting the Mercury News Action Line. In today's column:

<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/columnists/action_line/10016737.htm>

<quote>

I extended my plan with Verizon Wireless to upgrade minutes and add a
phone for my teenage daughter.

When I met with the associate, I specifically instructed him to block
text messaging on both phones.

I received a bill for almost $300 because he didn't do what I
instructed him to do. My daughter, being naive, thought it was free
and was using it without my knowledge.

Verizon said it was my responsibility and that the company would not
credit the cost.

L.K.
Campbell

Yes, it will.

I contacted Verizon for you. Someone contacted you and told you the
charges will be removed in your next bill. If they are not, you know
where I am.

</quote>

There have been some instances where external sources have help up 1X
connections, without the customer's knowledge or consent.

If you are positive about the usage, and I don't think you could be that far
off without knowing, then try and get ahold of your local System Performance
Team. They have access to a system that can pull the IP level records for
your number, and see if there was seomthing strange going on from an
external source, and that should give you some more ammunition to deal with
CS about it.

Mike Gorman

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:55:39 -0400, Paul B wrote:

> Help my Verizon Treo 600 stayed connected for 5000 minutes. You can
> imagine the bill at$.40 a pop.

Follow-up for those interested: Verizon admitted a problem with the Treo
600. It will automatically stay on-line after any session where data was
transferred. You have to power it down and re-power to disconnect a
session. Another option is to go down a few menus and select disconnect.
Pretty cheesy on the Treo's part if you ask me. If they don't have a
software update coming out to correct this, I may sell the phone.

GOOD NEWS: Verizon says they will credit me the entire amount!! The
credit needs higher level approval due to the amount, but it is expected
to clear. I won't count my chickens until they are hatched (when the
credit is on a printed bill in my hand in December).. but so far I am VERY
PLEASED with the way Verizon has handled this.

The failure to disconnect issue.. I don't know if that is a Treo or
Verizon thing. Such a shame. The phone is slick in so many other
respects!

Begin Paul B quote:

; The failure to disconnect issue.. I don't know if that is a Treo or
; Verizon thing. Such a shame. The phone is slick in so many other
; respects!

Question for you, based on my use experience with the Kyo 7135:

When you "end" a data call session, what do you normally do?

The way I understood it to work, is that if you (I) simply switch out
of the network app to something else, depending on the individual app
you're using, the phone may remain in the data-dormant mode, where it's
got an active connection even though no data is being sent. Because of
this, whenever I use a browser on the phone, I +always+ manually
terminate the call via the "disconnect" command in one of the app's
menus, and then verify by checking the display to make sure the status
line no longer says "data call".

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise
above that which is expected." - George W. Bush, Sept. 27, 2000

My 7135 came with two default entries in the connections list. One for QNC
and one for 1X data. 1X was the default entry and worked "out of the box."

Anyway, I kept having problems with my phone hanging on to data connections
like you say in dormant mode well after I had switched to another
application
or even closed the flip.

Anyway, I simply re-created these connection settings, which enabled me to
explicitely set idle timeout to 1 minute (which is fine for me, but is
tunable
as you like).

-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

There are several apps that can help with this. Treo Guard is one. It can be
setup to disconnect when you manually turn off the screen or on a time out.
This shouldn't really be a problem.

> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:55:39 -0400, Paul B wrote:
>
>> Help my Verizon Treo 600 stayed connected for 5000 minutes. You can
>> imagine the bill at$.40 a pop.
>>

> Follow-up for those interested: Verizon admitted a problem with the Treo
> 600. It will automatically stay on-line after any session where data was
> transferred. You have to power it down and re-power to disconnect a
> session. Another option is to go down a few menus and select disconnect.
> Pretty cheesy on the Treo's part if you ask me. If they don't have a
> software update coming out to correct this, I may sell the phone.
>
> GOOD NEWS: Verizon says they will credit me the entire amount!! The
> credit needs higher level approval due to the amount, but it is expected
> to clear. I won't count my chickens until they are hatched (when the
> credit is on a printed bill in my hand in December).. but so far I am VERY
> PLEASED with the way Verizon has handled this.
>
> The failure to disconnect issue.. I don't know if that is a Treo or
> Verizon thing. Such a shame. The phone is slick in so many other
> respects!

I had the same problem with my Treo 600 except I was only billed for about
1600 minutes. Verizon has now credited my account for the full amount.
Jeff Kaplan's answer is one solution. The other solution is that I have gone
into the network set up and I have used a connection other than VZW and, of
course, the phone won't connect. It I should want to use it again I will
just change the network connection back to VZW.

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <acv@gordol.org> wrote in message
> Begin Paul B quote:
>
> ; The failure to disconnect issue.. I don't know if that is a Treo or
> ; Verizon thing. Such a shame. The phone is slick in so many other
> ; respects!
>
> Question for you, based on my use experience with the Kyo 7135:
>
> When you "end" a data call session, what do you normally do?
>
> The way I understood it to work, is that if you (I) simply switch out
> of the network app to something else, depending on the individual app
> you're using, the phone may remain in the data-dormant mode, where it's
> got an active connection even though no data is being sent. Because of
> this, whenever I use a browser on the phone, I +always+ manually
> terminate the call via the "disconnect" command in one of the app's
> menus, and then verify by checking the display to make sure the status
> line no longer says "data call".
>
> --
> Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
> The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol
>
> "One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise
> above that which is expected." - George W. Bush, Sept. 27, 2000

I had the same problem to the tune of 2,300 minutes. Verizon Customer Care
credited my account for the overage.

The Treo was never supposed to use the MOU plans. I since added the
unlimited data plan, and I've had no further issues.

I would like to add that the Verizon Support Representative was very
helpful on this matter, and monitored it until the credit was actually
applied on the following billing cycle.

Robert
"Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas."
Virgil