Sign in with
Your question

Creative Labs Mother Board

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2001 5:43:34 PM

Ok, I'm looking for a cheap dirty motherboard / chip combo. I found what I think is a good one on Tigerdirect, they have a Creative Lab kit, it includes mother board, case, integrated Sound Blaster Live, and a 900 mhz chip. My question is, has anyone heard about any problems with this board?? And is there any large disadvantage to using a

Converter Card
This Converter PPGA-to-Slot 1 CPU Adapter Card allows Socket-370 type CPUs (such as the Intel Celeron and Coppermine) to be installed in a Slot-1 style Pentium II/III motherboard

????

I've been out of hardware for about 2 years and I'm not up to speed on the different parts here. I know networks, just not sure on these PC parts. Any help would be great!!! Thanks, also here is the web site for this, in chase you want to check it out.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... b

Thanks again.

Wade

W Wyant
MCSE, MCP+I, CCA, A+
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2001 6:49:31 AM

Yes, this is a very good deal, I own one. The motherboard allows bus speeds up to 133MHz, and performs only 1.5% slower than my equivalent CUSL2/Vortex2 system (probably do to performance requirements of the SB Live sound system and software). I can give you all the tips you need for overclocking on it, etc. But their choice of processors sucks. The Celeron 533 they offer with it is the old PPGA processor that will not overclock. The 900 also sucks as it will not overclock on this board.

I would suggest using a PIII 700E on this board and overclocking it to 933@133 FSB. You can buy the basic system and a good Slotket (converter card) with voltage adjustment from another source (such as the Abit Slotket 3).

Or you can do as I did-buy it with the Celeron 533, resell the 533 for more than the difference, and then modify the included slotket for increased voltage for overclocking the 700E (purchased separately) to 933.

If you need more information on any of these options feel free to ask. For the price it's a great kit, and I use mine constantly.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine
May 18, 2001 11:10:07 AM

Crash, you talked me into the Blaster PC from Tigerdirect.

Question:

Is this a decent CPU to get for it? (I realize of course I've also got to get a slotket)

<A HREF="http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?sid=qkr44zl82x..." target="_new">http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?sid=qkr44zl82x...;/A>

I know you mentioned 700E - I'm just wondering if this board can handle an EB version or I'm limited to E.

Thanks for your help

It's always the one thing you never suspected.
Related resources
May 18, 2001 1:38:15 PM

In this case - the E is a good thing.

When Intel created the PIII700E - they didn't have in mind for a good percentage of the world to run it at, or near, or over 1Ghz easily.

This chip is great - mine runs at 1036Mhz day in and day out at 148FSB, like the man says, to run a system in spec, use a 133FSB to give a 933 chip for what - $95 today, or you can buy a 933 for $70 more... ;o) Get the 700E !!!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
May 18, 2001 1:54:02 PM

OK, so what you're saying is 700E is better than 733EB purely from a price standpoint? Or is it more overclockable?

Also, these are both Coppermines, so does the "you must get Retail box if you want copper core" rule apply?

May 18, 2001 2:08:01 PM

Ah-ha you hit the nail on the head.

I just upgraded from a 733EB to a 700E - because of the overclock....

Cost me not much cash (cheaper than a 1Ghz PIII) and I managed to sell my 733 on too.

I buy OEM - my cpu runs 47 degrees, but it has a low power sunon green fan on a Fop38, so it's dead quiet.

I run at 1.80V and 1036Mhz 148FSB

So I think it wins hands down on bang for buck in the Intel high end world right now.

Of course my real system is a 1.6Ghz AMD, but that's another story... If Intel sort out with Northwood and the price/performance is right against Athlon4 or whatever, the cycle will continue...

May 18, 2001 2:30:12 PM

OK, cool.

One last question (hopefully ;-)

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to getting a 700E in a Socket370 vs. Slot 1 package?

From what I understand they come in both flavors. But that confuses me because I thought they could only get the Advanced cache functionality when they went to on-die which would imply Socket370.

So does the 700E come in both packages, or not? Are they both .18 micron?

Stupid Intel CPU flavors are so confusing!!!!

May 18, 2001 2:51:19 PM

OK - I did some reading over at the Intel website (forgot I could do that) and I think I've come to the conclusion that they DO make 700 Slot 1 Coppermines, and thats the only 700 they make. So a Slot 1 700 PIII is automatically an E version, therefore they don't really have to include E after the name. And there is no difference between the Slot 1 and Socket 370 versions of the 700E.

Am I right?

May 18, 2001 2:58:35 PM

sorry - lost you there.

Quote:
they DO make 700 Slot 1 Coppermines, and thats the only 700 they make. So a Slot 1 700 PIII is automatically an E version, therefore they don't really have to include E after the name. And there is no difference between the Slot 1 and Socket 370 versions of the 700E

Hmm I think to summarise they make both, the slot 1 is slightly cheaper. I'll defer back to crashman on the differences between the two. I use Sockect 370 on a socket board.

May 18, 2001 3:03:24 PM

I realize I probably was writing in a confusing manner. Here's a rephrase

Question: Is there any difference at all between a Slot 1 700E and a Socket 370 700E?

If there is no difference, I'd much rather get the Slot 1 because thats what I'll be getting on my MB, and I've got a Net-N-Dude Arctic 4500 Slot 1 CPU HSF just sitting around gathering dust that I can use. Also I don't need to get a Slotket.

a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2001 8:07:18 PM

First things first! Since the motherboard you are considering does not have onboard voltage adjustments (it always goes to the default voltage), you NEED to get a Socket 370 700E+Slotket in order to have the ability to raise the core voltage!

Some slotkets have voltage adjustments. Those that do not can be easily modified to do it. But for adjustabilities sake, your better off getting one that does. Abit and Iwill both make them with adjustable voltage detection (the Abit Slotket III and Iwill Slotket II).

So your best bang for the buck is to get an Abit Slotket III and an Intel Socket 370 700E.

Check Pricewatch for the 700E, as it is very inexpensive at several places. Don't try the 750, as there is a less than 50% chance that you will be able to overclock the 750 to 133. Most PIII processors can't make it past 980MHz. And your new motherboard only supports 114 and 133 FSB overclocks. So taking the 700 to 933 is the best you can probably do, performance wise, unless you want to buy the 1GHz CPU!

Let me reiterate, if you DO want to OVERCLOCK, do NOT buy the Slot1 CPU as you need a Slotket to get voltage adjustment!

a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2001 9:10:17 PM

Good news, I just found the Iwill Slocket II for $16 at <A HREF="http://www.1look.com/" target="_new">http://www.1look.com/&lt;/A>. This one also has full voltage adjustments.

a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2001 9:41:00 PM

Better news, I just found the Abit Slotket III at Googlegear.com for only 8.99. Type "fc370" in the search box and it will come right up. They also sell the PIII 700E for $115, a little more expensive than some, but this would give you one-stop shopping for the CPU and converter.

May 21, 2001 9:59:34 AM

Hey Crash, thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to buy both from googlegear. Never used them before, but if you look for a cheaper price (only a few bucks less) on pricewatch, all the vendors have really low ratings/comments on resellerratings.com

Would you recommend googlegear?

Thanks again.

a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2001 5:17:33 PM

I just made my first order from them Thursday. I ordered some of those Slotket III's from them. Up until now I have just been modifying cheap slotkets for the voltage I wanted, but when I saw how cheap their Slotket III's were, I decided to get a few myself. The do have a reasonably good reputation, but I have never ordered from them before this.

a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2001 5:20:16 PM

Oh, BTW, you'll like the Blaster PC your putting it in. I have mine running great with a 700E@933, using a modified cheap Slotket (soon to be replaced with one of those Slotket III's I ordered from Googlegear). I recommend 1.75v for the 700E@933.

May 22, 2001 11:26:09 AM

OK - I got the PIII 700 FCPGA and the ABIT FC370 Slotket from googlegear. Thanks again.

New question:

What kind of HSF did you attach to your box? I've been using these guys lately:

<A HREF="http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/1/cat1.htm?439" target="_new">http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/1/cat1.htm?439&lt;/A>

Anything you'd recommend from that page? I know the one consideration is room to mount it, some of these HSF's are pretty tall.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2001 5:14:39 PM

I use the Thermaltake VolcanoII, BUT I wouldn't reccomend it for this motherboard, because with the stock fan, it covers the last DIMM slot. I think the Globalwin FOP32-1 is a little shorter, so I would reccomend that one instead. There is room on these things for the extra width of the FOP32-1. It should keep your processor very cool, and any additional cooling beyond what the FOP32-1 provides would probably only result in more noise without any stability benefits.

May 23, 2001 10:33:44 AM

You read my mind. Thats exactly the HSF I was thinking of getting.

Thoughts, plus a <i>problem</i> below:

I got the box yesterday. Tested it out with an old PII 233 I had lying around.

Initial impression: A lot of bells and whistles what with all the stuff on the front of the case. A lot more connections to make to the MB. Manual is very good as mentioned before.

I set it up with just 128MB Crucial PC133 CAS3, CPU and Video card.

One initial problem: Wouldn't POST with a Voodoo3 3000 AGP card I had lying around. Got it to post with a few different PCI video cards. BUT,

<font color=red>It seems to only POST after the initial PCI video card insertion. Tried a few different ones. If I try to reboot/exit out of BIOS/repower it won't POST. Have to reinsert the video card to get it to POST. Very strange indeed.</font color=red>

I didn't have all connections made, and the wife was yelling at me to get upstairs and watch the crying 8 month old. So I can't say definitively if I have a real problem. I'll screw around with it some more tonight.

<b>Anyone ever hear of that particular problem before, though?</b>

May 23, 2001 7:23:16 PM

duh!!!

I figured out the "non-post" problem - it seems that any time I switched a component (move RAM to a different slot, even replug the ATX power connecter on the MB) it would POST. But subsequent hard and soft boots wouldn't.

Answer? The CPU speed setting was defaulting to 66 X 4.5 and my trusty old PII 233 just couldn't handle it. Apparently if a hardware change is sensed it will allow you to boot with minimal settings on the next boot but after that the factory set defaults take over so it was trying to drive the poor guy at 300Mhz and he just was too tuckered out to awaken.

Live and learn.

I ordered the GW FOP32. Can't wait to get it all together.

Oh, one other complaint: The USB header on the MB is so close to the AGP that my Voodoo3 3000 heat sink butts right up against it, making it almost impossible to put both in. Haven't figured out how to get around that one yet.

a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2001 7:34:40 PM

I don't know why the Voodoo 3 isn't working. I have used a GTS, MX, TNT-M64, SiS 6326, and Radeon card on mine without problems (except for driver problems with the SiS card). When you get your processor and Slotket, remember that any use of the 133MHz bus will result in an 89MHz AGP bus. So the card will run warmer (extended use of the TNT or MX cards would have required mounting a fan). There are 2 settings in BIOS for 133MHz system bus-with 44MHz PCI and 33MHz PCI. Pick the 33MHz PCI.
I don't know if the BIOS was actually configured to use a PCI primary display. If your Voodoo 3 doesn't work, try any Geforce 2 card (MX, GTS, PRO). And make sure you have a fan on the MX if you go that rout.

May 24, 2001 9:19:56 AM

>I don't know why the Voodoo 3 isn't working

Oops - I should have said in my previous post that the Voodoo IS working. All is well in Blaster PC land. Now I just have to wait for my 700E to arrive.

I'll be sure to check out a fan for my final AGP card when I decide which one to get. Thanks again.

!