A7M266 & Athlon 1.33 Problem

bianconero1966

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem I searched the archives and found nothing anyway I got a brand spanking new A7M266 mobo with an Athlon 1.33 processor (retail version), my question what jumper settings should be used? the default jumperless or the jumper mode for your processor? I'm asking since after I attached the power connectors to the mobo I get a green light on the mobo the CPU fan briefly spins and then nothing no POST no nothing (no other devices are installed not even memory !!) the green light stays on but that's all the case I'm using has a 300 watt PS and was sold as AMD approved
Thank you all

G

if all you have is the cpu and mobo.....and no memory.....

think about it for a sec, and then plug all the ESSENTIAL stuff (VC, RAM, CPU) into the mobo. Then see if it works.

Where's the any key?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Yes, put some memory and a vid card in or you will not get any further- still, best to post here or awsk someone if you arnt sure rather than do what a lot of people do and just throw it all together in 10 minutes tand screw something.
Good luck with the new pc

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

Actually, you don't "need" memory nor videocard. If you got a speaker installed then it will give you an error message:
- Long beeps in an endless loop = No DRAM installed
- One long and three short beeps = No VC found or VC memory bad.

If you don't get any beeps then I bet it's you PSU. 300W sounds a little on the low side, especially if you plan on doing any OC and/or add som fans...

Leave all jumpers in "Jumperless mode" where possible. The VIO/VIO1 settings are incorrectly specified in the manual, but that shouldn't prevent you from posting at least.

The correct default settings for VIO/VIO1 is 3-4(3.45V)/3-4(2.8V)

/J

AMD TBIRD 1.33
Asus A7M266
Vapochill
Elsa Geforce3
Apacer 256MB DDR266
Seagate X15

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
um - it sounds like the case may not be plugged in properly. You probably need/should have both the power LED, speaker, power switch and reset switch connected.

The PSU won't be over yet since nothing else is there...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

I've got the same combo and as far I know Amd 1.33 woldn't run unless you set it up as a 1.2GHz (user defined system freq. 120MHz 10.0x Multipl.)in Bios. Anyone got it going?
Seems like Asus don't... Does it make any diference w. Pc 1600 memmory?

/e.

Kwonger

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
Here's a suggestion...

Check to see if the heatsink is installed properly. I'm serious! The Athlons heat up real fast and if you can't disperse the heat fast enough, there's no way it'll run...
Happened to me at work when I was building a system for a customer.

So try it and tell me what you get... Someone mentioned that they'd have to downclock to 1.2GHz... Your problem could possibly be the same.

G

Nah, 67 degres max, tried to highten the voltage to.
A little bit and 3D Mark crash after 1-2min 1.84v and it chrashes when I'm in the bios just trying to start
(Whit settings on 133/10x in bios it wouln't even start the
os before it locks "General protection fault" on screen)

I've got 2x256 samsung Pc2100, AMI megaraid 500, adaptec 2930cu, 420watt powersupply, so i cant see any other reason either, a bad cpu? motherboard? everything runs fine on MAX 1,2GHz (7488p 3D Mark 2000 Default seting). honestly I've think its a motherboard bug...

/e.

G

I agree that its an Asus Problem. I think they use bad voltage regulators. I have mine maxed out at 1.81v. When I run cpumark it drops all the way to 1.58v. Try running anything with heavy 3d and it locks.