How to remove Slot 1 Processor?

G

Hi all,

Question:
I am writing to get any pointers on how to remove a Slot 1 processor from the motherboard that is already installed to troubleshoot a power-up problem.

Symptom:
My computer won't power up at all.

Background:
My setup is as follows:
Computer 1 - the working computer
Intel SE440BX2 motherboard
Pent III 500Mhz/100Hz Slot 1
128MB PC100 SDRAM
AGP video, Network, SCSI, sound card
Windows 98SE

Computer 2 - the non-working computer
Intel SE440BX2V Motherboard
Pentium III 850MHz/100Hz Slot 1
512MB PC100 SDRAM
AGP video, PCI video, Network card, Sound Card
Windows 98SE

Both computers had worked fine for a year before. I think a power surge got the 850Mhz one last week.

At first I suspected the power supply, so I swapped the power supplies between the computers. The 850Mhz (the "fried" one) power supply works with the other computer. So the problem is not in the power supply.

I had removed all components (video card, sound card, network card, SCSI adapter card, memory) from the 850MHz computer and installed them in the 500Mhz computer to see if they still work. And I have verified that all the components from the 850Mhz computer still work.

The only components I have not switched is the processor. I am hesitant to remove the processor, because I don't know how. Other than just straight pulling it out. Any pointers on how to remove the processor? The retention mechanism seems to prevent me from removing the processor.

Is there anything else I can do to see if my problem is in the motherboard or processor?

More info on the 850Mhz computer not powering up:
When it was working, whenever I plugged either computer into the wall, the power supply fan would come on briefly (1/2 second) then shut down. Now when I plug the 850Mhz computer into the wall, nothing happens. And of course pressing the power button on the 850Mhz computer does nothing either.

Thanx in advance for any replies

Steve W.
woodreau@geocities.com

G

most of those slot one PIII's are similar to the safety lids one medication.......wow, thats a weird description. no, seriously they are very easy to use. just push in on the sides (small levers) gently and then lift the processor out in an even manner. look on the web for diagrams. but dont worry.....its more intimidating looking than it is difficult.

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unclip the plastics and pull.
Maybe you should try first to insert it better instead - it hapens that slot cpu somehow moves out of slot.

-Beer! Good!
-James Hatefild