Sign in with
Your question

PC Gaming Keyboard

Last response: in Video Games
June 11, 2011 9:52:01 AM

Hey guys I'm trying to get more into the gamer scene and I was wondering if you guys could give your opinion on gaming keyboards for me? My price range is $50 but i'll take suggestion up to $60

Anyone have an opinion or reviews on these two keyboards?

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-JQD-00001-SideWinder-X4...

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Arctosa-Gaming-Keyboard--Si...

All help is appreciated!

More about : gaming keyboard

June 11, 2011 12:43:58 PM

Why do you particularly want a gaming keyboard? Unless you're playing MMORPGs, or competitively, then you won't make the maximum use of a gaming keyboard compared to say, a better GPU. If you're just getting into PC Gaming, I highly suggest you save the money and put it towards better hardware :) 

However, I do know the importance of feeling good about your PC and it's peripherals. I own a Razer Lycosa Mirror, which is pretty much the same layout as that arctosa with some added features. It's nicely shaped, feels great to type with and has fast response times. It also looks stylish (though has no backlight for late night gaming.) The only criticism I have is that the drivers for Razer can be a bit buggy (keys losing functionality once and a while, etc.) but other than the occasional blip I haven't a complaint.

I'd suggest it over the Microsoft keyboard.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :) 
-Nih
m
l
June 11, 2011 4:12:14 PM

I already spent about $200 on a video card PSU and all the needed stuff for that and it wasnt even top of the line haha. I don't have a job so that was alot of money for me. I would upgrade GPU but everything else on my computer is fairly good, though it isnt a gaming rig. Upgrading performance would also take alot of money. And i play an RTS which requires even faster actions than an mmorpg. What makes the lycosa better than the arctosa and microsoft one?
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2011 7:15:52 PM

I was in the market until a few days ago for a keyboard also. Luckily I caught a amazon sale that gave the logitech g110 for only $50. Its an amazing keyboard from the short time ive been using it. Careful with the razers, ive gotten mixed reviews on that. For me the biggest thing is to get a backlit keyboard, which the arctosa doesnt have. Dont get the Lycosa, its just not up to normal razer quality. That x4 looks pretty good for the price. If you can find a deal on the g110 I highly recommend it. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-002232-Gaming-Keyboa...
m
l
June 11, 2011 9:36:39 PM

im a fan of the logitech keyboards 2. i have had my G11 for nearly 3 years now and its still as tight as the day i got it... some of the razor 1s have painted keys so after a while the letters become smudged and disappear leaving you with just a glowing key.
m
l
June 18, 2011 12:22:33 AM

ive decided on the x4 after research and such. thank you! im trying to decide on a gaming mouse under $40 now. any suggestions?
m
l
June 18, 2011 2:28:50 AM

under 40??? your gonna be hard pushed to find something decent. although the microsoft side winder range are pretty ok and cheap.
then again if you look about you may find a razor or logitech for 45ish
m
l
June 18, 2011 4:39:20 AM

At $40, go with the razor deathadder. I myself just got a logitech mx 518 for $14 off eBay. That is really nice and is a huge improvement from my sidewinder x3. I highly recommend it and you can get it pretty cheap.
m
l
June 18, 2011 6:34:56 AM

since i kind of want a red matching mouse to go with my red x4 keyboard do you have any insight about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I went to a micro center and felt it on my hand it felt great. but its a little pricey, and i might want the deathadder but im thinking of getting a cheaper mice cause i need money for other things too.

m
l
June 18, 2011 2:06:08 PM

Reading reviews it looks like it's a good mouse. The mx 518 is grey and silver also which goes with about anything. If you really don't want to spend much check that out
m
l
June 18, 2011 10:37:39 PM

I got myself a Steelseries 6gv2 (approx $100) mechanical (cherryblack) keyboard and it works great for gaming. I find it feels a lot better than those squishy rubber membrane keyboards (Logitech g15 I'm looking at you). I would have gotten myself a Razer Blackwidow but the clicking would have driven me insane.

I also got a Logitech G500 mouse ($60, not flashy and not an insane price but best mouse out there in my opinion), so in my opinion I have the best kb+m combo out there
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:34:01 PM

I have both the older and newer models of the Logitech G15. I love them. Even though it will be more expensive. I would highly recommend the G15 or the G510 keyboards.
m
l
June 20, 2011 6:47:46 PM

DJRWolf said:
I have both the older and newer models of the Logitech G15. I love them. Even though it will be more expensive. I would highly recommend the G15 or the G510 keyboards.

I don't mean to flame you but, isn't the Logitech G15 more or less an expensive regular keyboard with a back light and some macro keys? Unless your playing some strategy games where you REALLY need macros wouldn't it be better to shell out a little bit more and get a mechanical (even get a blackwidow if your into strategy/rpgs)?
m
l
June 21, 2011 6:58:38 AM

ihop007 said:
I don't mean to flame you but, isn't the Logitech G15 more or less an expensive regular keyboard with a back light and some macro keys? Unless your playing some strategy games where you REALLY need macros wouldn't it be better to shell out a little bit more and get a mechanical (even get a blackwidow if your into strategy/rpgs)?

The one with just backlight and "G Keys" is the G110. The G15 and G510 both have the secondary display. The G19 and a full color display that can play video (think YouTube walkthough videos). The secondary display has come in very handy with voice chat programs like Team Speak and Ventrillo to display who is talking. Also can display things like a clock, CPU/RAM useage, incoming IM's, and I'm sure there is a 3rd party add-on for it that can display system temperatures.
m
l
June 22, 2011 8:51:16 PM

Ah thanks for clarifying, I would still go with a mechanical myself but to each his own
m
l
June 29, 2011 7:02:33 AM

whats all the buzz about mechanical keyboards?
m
l
June 29, 2011 7:55:02 AM

Mechanical keyboards used to be a lot more common but then the cheaper to produce rubber membrane keyboards came out. Basically when you hit a key on your typical keyboard it compresses a little rubber dome under the key. On mechanical keyboards the keys are a lot more solid and are not as "squishy" because they are attached to, I guess you could call them, "pistons" under the keys.

There are many different types of Mechanical switches (things you press down on), for example the "raser black widow" uses cherry (brand name) mx blue switches. These switches give off a loud click and have a "clicking point" where the key will snap down. I personally use a Steelseries 6GV2, this keyboard uses cherry mx black switches. Mx black switches are non tactile and non clickey so they compress all the way with the same amount of force on them (this allows for quicker gaming reflexes and being able to double-tap faster)

*read more about the switches here*

And I suggest doing some research on mechanical keyboards. They are better in all but one aspect in my opinion, that would be price. My steelseries 6gv2 cost me about $100CAD
m
l
July 2, 2011 1:17:54 AM

oh damn.. i guess i did have old mechanical keyboards but my PC didnt have those connectors so i think my sister threw them away D: any cheap ones you know of?
m
l
July 2, 2011 4:37:50 PM

Razer - BlackWidow Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with an MSRP of $80.

Found out about these when I was stocking them. For those who don't know one of my PT jobs is warehouse department at Best Buy unloading the trucks and being the biggest geek who works the trucks I get to stock the computer department.
m
l
July 12, 2011 12:22:48 AM

is compaq Rt235BTW a mechanical keyboard
m
l
!