PVP MMORPG - Advices?

petrkail

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Hello guys,

I would really appreciate if anyone can help me. I've been playing WoW for over 4 years, I stopped and now I'm searching for some replacement. After 4 years of isolation I happen to be completely unaware of other existing MMORPG games.

What I liked the most in WoW were the arenas (i.e. 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 PVP) and duels (1-1 PVP). (I also played and liked America's Army, but I like fantasy content more.) I don't mind PVE content, but I really hate finding groups and raids (the probability, that you'll find group/raid/guild where people (1) can play, (2) have same playing hours as you and (3) are not 20 years younger spamming chat with all these zomfgs, gieff and all that, is like 0.01% or I've just been unlucky). I don't care if it's 3D or browser based (well, that's an extreme, I cannot imagine an interesting PVP which is browser based...). And ideally it would be free.

So if anyone knows a game, where the core consists of PVP duels (or in small groups), or at least one may specialize in that), and the PVP is not some kind of clicking, but it's something trickier (take WoW as a comparison), please share. Ideally PVE (if there's any) should be soloable, so you won't have to bother with groups. Comments welcome.

Thanks a lot,

have a nice weekend,

Petr

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
A few MMORPGs have tried to make it pvp centric warhammer and aion are a few of the recent ones. Neither could keep enough people to keep the pvp interesting. I played Aion and the pvp was quite fun in the beginning when a lot of people were playing. Then when the servers got smaller, the populations didn't stay 50:50 and one side dominated. Then they merged the 13 servers into 4 servers to get the population back up except that they merged the wrong servers together and gave free transfers so instead of 50:50 it became 90:10 and pvp died. It was fun though!

If you like competitive pvp WoW is really the only game in town. It sucks. I actually liked WoW pvp a lot more at 60 when pvp wasn't ruined with cc/silences/immunities/dps with heals/resilience/frost mages/pets/nerfs/overbuffs/overnerfs/homogenization/racials.

Timofmars

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Guild Wars had great PvP. That's pretty much all I did in that game, since PvE wasn't required to have good PvP characters. I'm waiting for Guild Wars 2, but I don't think there's an official release date yet.

MetalDan

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Lineage 2 has a really robust pvp system. The whole game is based around open world pvp. There are territory battles, castle sieges, and more. Its a bit older but If you dont mind a bit of a grind its worth a go. The graphics still hold up pretty well.