Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

there was someone on here last week asking how to join the twin lamps. I've
found out if you want to know. You ask Dren, can't remember her first name
and her address is...
spoiler
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
2 Canal Works
St. Delyn's
Vivec

"Mark Foster" <diablo74@fsmail.net> wrote in message
> there was someone on here last week asking how to join the twin
lamps. I've
> found out if you want to know. You ask Dren, can't remember her
first name
> and her address is...
> spoiler
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> 2 Canal Works
> St. Delyn's
> Vivec

In fact it's technically house number 1, but house number 1 is the
*middle* of the three, with 2 and 3 on either side. Canal Works is the
LOWER level (the one at the bottom of the long sloping tunnels), and
Ilmeni Dren's house is on the South side.

You can't properly "join" them as a faction (they never appear on the
list of the factions you have joined), but you can do two or three
quests for Ilmeni Dren if your
"reputation-with-this-particular-faction" is high enough. To improve
your faction rating (which the game will never tell you), free some
slaves and chat to them afterwards (including taking the "go free"
option again).

If your (hidden) reputation with the Twin Lamps goes high enough, you
can also talk to Jobasha in the Rare Bookstore in the Foreign Quarter
about the subject, and he'll reward you with some stat-bonus books.

There are one or two other quests that can improve your reputation
with the Twin Lamps faction. A couple of them are random slave-freeing
quests, where you bump into an escaped slave and are asked to assist
them to get to freedom: and one, at least, is a Thieves Guild quest
given by Gentleman Jim Stacey (whose hideout is behind Simine
Fralinie's Bookstore in the Foreign Quarter Underworks: you will need
to be able to pick a level 65 lock to get to him, but the bookstore
merchant will not complain at your doing so.) He gives some
conventional thievery quests, some political-style quests (in the
struggle against the Camonna Tong) which will eventually lead to you
becoming Grandmaster of the guild, and a separate series of quests for
an organisation which he is hoping to re-found, the "Bal Molagmer" - a
Robin-Hood-type organisation that stole from the rich and unjust to
give to the more deserving poor, and opposed slavery. It seems that
Gentleman Jim wants the Thieves Guild to become that type of
organisation rather than just a simple get-rich-quick crime syndicate.
One of these quests is to steal the jewellery of a slaver called
Brallion who has gotten rich from the slavery business, and donate it
to Ilmeni Dren of the anti-slavery movement so she can sell it on and
use the money in her fight against slavery: when you do this quest,
you gain reputation with the Twin Lamps as well as with the Thieves
Guild.

(Actually this quest is bugged - because the ring cannot in fact be
stolen at all, since Brallion is wearing it, although you can steal
plenty of other Exquisite Rings from the guy: instead, you have to
either improve his disposition and buy it off him, or kill him for it.
If you buy it, you can steal the gold back afterwards, which is
exactly what I did: but picking pockets hardly *ever* works even if
you have massive Sneak skill backed up by Invisibility and Chameleon
spells.)

(You must do all the Bal Molagmer quests BEFORE becoming Thieves Guild
grandmaster, because Gentleman Jim disappears after you become
Grandmaster.)

Jonathan.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

"Mark Foster" <diablo74@fsmail.net> wrote in

> there was someone on here last week asking how to join the twin lamps.
> I've found out if you want to know. You ask Dren, can't remember her
> first name and her address is...

In the unmodified game, you don't join the Twin Lamps per se. Eventually
freeing enough slaves will gain you the password and you will be able to do
a few quests.

The excellent Twin Lamps plugin changes that completely around, though. It
makes that faction one of the most interesting in the game.

Eric Gill wrote:

> "Mark Foster" <diablo74@fsmail.net> wrote in
>
>> there was someone on here last week asking how to join the twin lamps.
>> I've found out if you want to know. You ask Dren, can't remember her
>> first name and her address is...
>
> In the unmodified game, you don't join the Twin Lamps per se. Eventually
> freeing enough slaves will gain you the password and you will be able to
> do a few quests.
>
> The excellent Twin Lamps plugin changes that completely around, though. It
> makes that faction one of the most interesting in the game.

Which one? Brother Juniper's (smaller but less buggy) version or Nevena's
(larger, more interesting but buggy as heck) version (which also features
Slave Hunters)? At the mo I'm trying to get through Nevena's version (which
is good I think despite the aforementioned bugs - hopefully the bug reports
I've sent Nevena will help sort it out).

Bye,

--
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sslaxx/

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

"Stuart \"Sslaxx\" Moore" <NO@SPAM.PLEASE> wrote in

> Eric Gill wrote:
>
>> "Mark Foster" <diablo74@fsmail.net> wrote in
>>
>>> there was someone on here last week asking how to join the twin
>>> lamps. I've found out if you want to know. You ask Dren, can't
>>> remember her first name and her address is...
>>
>> In the unmodified game, you don't join the Twin Lamps per se.
>> Eventually freeing enough slaves will gain you the password and you
>> will be able to do a few quests.
>>
>> The excellent Twin Lamps plugin changes that completely around,
>> though. It makes that faction one of the most interesting in the
>> game.
>
> Which one? Brother Juniper's (smaller but less buggy) version or
> Nevena's (larger, more interesting but buggy as heck) version (which
> also features Slave Hunters)?

I was referring to Juniper's, but I'm gald to hear there is another I've
never seen.

Cool. Nevena's hompage lead me to a whole bunch of killer improvements -
thanks!

> At the mo I'm trying to get through
> Nevena's version (which is good I think despite the aforementioned
> bugs - hopefully the bug reports I've sent Nevena will help sort it
> out).

Yep. Are they as bad as the "Daughter of the Night" plug?