Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Battlefield 3

Last response: in Video Games
June 12, 2011 1:35:09 AM

Hi there, I'm just wondering if this computer rig will be able to run Battlefield 3 on max settings with 16x AF and 32x AA on at a res of 1920 x 1080.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Six-Core CPU
8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance
AMD Radeon HD 6970 - 2GB - CrossFire Mode (Dual Cards)
[CrossFire] ASUS Crosshair IV Formula -- AMD 890FX w/ 3x PCI-E 2.0 x16
1200 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-1200AX
Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (AMD) - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

I'm a bit worried about the ram. I'm not sure whether I should pay the extra $145 and get 16gb instead of 8gb.

Feel free to recommend me better brands or parts :) 

More about : battlefield

June 12, 2011 2:33:56 AM

maxim486 said:
Hi there, I'm just wondering if this computer rig will be able to run Battlefield 3 on max settings with 16x AF and 32x AA on at a res of 1920 x 1080.

Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (AMD) - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

I'm a bit worried about the ram. I'm not sure whether I should pay the extra $145 and get 16gb instead of 8gb.

no it wont run it, I have been playing battlefield 3 for over a month on my i7 980x with 16gb ram and Sli'ed gtx 650's and i can only run it in 640x480 with ultra low settings and get 5-6 fps......
seriously though here...http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/
and dont take them to heart, they could be right and they could be off a little. I am pretty sure that you will not have any issues running battlefield 3 on the very highest settings without a hitch. Just sit back and take a deep breath and go play another game, soon enough you will know if you can run the game, and if not upgrade then, dont upgrade now. best of luck. Murph
Score
June 12, 2011 3:23:20 AM

murphy_30547 said:
no it wont run it, I have been playing battlefield 3 for over a month on my i7 980x with 16gb ram and Sli'ed gtx 650's and i can only run it in 640x480 with ultra low settings and get 5-6 fps......
and dont take them to heart, they could be right and they could be off a little. I am pretty sure that you will not have any issues running battlefield 3 on the very highest settings without a hitch. Just sit back and take a deep breath and go play another game, soon enough you will know if you can run the game, and if not upgrade then, dont upgrade now. best of luck. Murph

Lmao, thanks for the reply it made my day. But do you think I should go with 8 gigs of ram or 16? I'm not sure whether I'll get better performance with the 16 and i'm just asking around if it will help with my system.
Score
Related resources
June 12, 2011 4:37:43 AM

no offense intended at all but maybe a little more research is order. and for purely gaming purposes 4gb of ram is all that is needed.

my only question is why the 1100t? if this hasnt been purchased i would strongly recommend you looking at the i5 2500k instead. i think that it will do a much better job of keeping the dual 6970's from being bottlenecked by the cpu.
Score
June 12, 2011 2:11:14 PM

I chose the 1100T cause I wanted my CPU and GPUs to be AMD based. Plus the 1100T is a hexacore CPU for 1/3 of what an Intel one would cost :D  I am also planning on overclocking that sucker to a sweet 4GHz.

If I will still be bottle necked by this CPU please let me know, I have not bought the system yet because I am not in extreme need of it YET (Battlefeld 3) and it would be great to know what I can change to get a better performance of it.
Score
June 12, 2011 3:21:50 PM

maxim486 said:
I chose the 1100T cause I wanted my CPU and GPUs to be AMD based. Plus the 1100T is a hexacore CPU for 1/3 of what an Intel one would cost :D  I am also planning on overclocking that sucker to a sweet 4GHz.

If I will still be bottle necked by this CPU please let me know, I have not bought the system yet because I am not in extreme need of it YET (Battlefeld 3) and it would be great to know what I can change to get a better performance of it.

there is nothing wrong with your processor, it is right on par with the i7 950. like i said buddy just calm down for the moment and set some money aside and see if you can run battlefield 3 when it arrives. If it doesnt run as you expect, upgrade, if it does run well... upgrade something anyway since you saved the money, lol. Dont get worked up over it bud, the technology race is never ending and you have to be a millionaire to actually keep up with it, and at that point you would be playing every new hot game with a totally new top of the line computer. murph
Score
June 12, 2011 9:18:44 PM

The current hexacore AMD's offer a very minimal performance increase (if any) over their high end X4 models in gaming applications. The i5 2500k, or even 2400, are similarly priced yet offer much better performance and can even compete with the most expensive i7's when it comes to gaming.
Score
June 15, 2011 1:25:37 AM

i like the couple threads on " can i run BF3?" that have people with beefier systems listing their specs and then asking if they can run it. I just love the subtle nature of humans.
Score
June 15, 2011 1:26:54 AM

and if your system is that badass, why not know something about it, or gaming, like 16gb??? 8 is even overkill for gaming.
Score
June 15, 2011 8:43:49 PM

^^ Well, according to IGN [take ti for what you will], the "recommended" specs for BF3 includes 16GB of RAM...

Also, the reason games don't really benifit for more RAM is because they are all compiled as 32-bit executables, and thus can't even access more then 2GB [unless the LAA flag is set, in which case they can at least access 4], even on 64-bit versions of Windows.
Score
June 18, 2011 4:09:20 AM

murphy_30547 said:

What do you mean you've been playing battlefield 3? It's not even released yet.
Score
June 18, 2011 4:46:23 AM

nishan11 said:

*facepalm*
You sir, are correct.

Those system requirements from ign have to be off, they are unrealistic, developers wouldnt make a product the average consumer couldn't use...
Score
August 3, 2011 6:04:27 AM

I heard no rig can make out BF3 at release, guess we will have to wait and see.
Score
August 3, 2011 7:27:20 AM

rivo101 said:
I heard no rig can make out BF3 at release, guess we will have to wait and see.

i highly doubt that.
Score
August 3, 2011 7:29:00 AM

guys, what you are hearing are RUMORS!
there is no way that BF3 is going to be so hardware intensive that can only be ran by top of the line rigs. because they have to consider in the Xbox 360 and PS3's system too, if only top of hte line PC can play it, there is no way consoles are going to work. also, there arn't many people with top of line rigs.

also, I claim that "IGN" system requirement is a hoax.
I mean cmon, i7-970? thats a Hex-core processor, WTF are you playing? Microsoft Space Shuttle Sim?
and the Sound card being DirectX9.0C is definitely a lie, BF3 will NOT be supporting DirectX 9. you shouldn't be required to have a sound card to play a game anyway.

also, is using 16GB of RAM on a 14GB game possible?
and a link to that IGN system requirement page would be appreciated
Score
August 3, 2011 9:08:43 AM

foverosiv said:
there is no way that BF3 is going to be so hardware intensive that can only be ran by top of the line rigs. because they have to consider in the Xbox 360 and PS3's system too, if only top of hte line PC can play it, there is no way consoles are going to work. also, there arn't many people with top of line rigs.

I mean cmon, i7-970? thats a Hex-core processor, WTF are you playing? Microsoft Space Shuttle Sim?
and the Sound card being DirectX9.0C is definitely a lie, BF3 will NOT be supporting DirectX 9. you shouldn't be required to have a sound card to play a game anyway.

i maxed the alpha 60fps v-sync with 6950 2gb and dual core @ 4.0ghz at 1920x1080

i5 2500k and 6970/570 should be more then enough for this with 64 player battles/higher graphics and better optimisation
Score
August 3, 2011 10:30:56 AM

Maxed the alpha as well, didnt check framerate but everything was smooth and shiny.
Q9450 - stock speed
3gb DDR2 1066 (a mem stick died so no 4gb)
ati 5850 - stock speeds

The alpha only let you set, low medium or high details so couldnt tinker with AA etc. Set to high, ran in fullscreen and no issues :) 
Score
a b À AMD
August 3, 2011 11:58:06 AM

There is no way you need 2 x 6970s to play at 1920x1080 a single one is more than enough and as already stated the 2500K is much better than any AMD CPU for gaming.
Score
August 3, 2011 2:00:15 PM

foverosiv said:

they could just turn the quality down enough for the console so that argument isnt necessarily true but i dont see it being that intense either.
Score
August 3, 2011 4:10:05 PM

The game is supposedly to be developed for PC first and then ported to the PS3 and Xbox 360. So, I don't think you'd be expecting it to be a console port.
Score
August 4, 2011 12:56:43 AM

my friend was in the alpha before it got shut down and he told me 4gb of ram is enough so i wouldn't sweat it lol
Score
August 4, 2011 6:44:12 AM

if they can turn the quality down so consoles can still play it, average gaming PCs should be able to play it with decent settings too, not just top of the line PC
Score
August 4, 2011 7:11:58 PM

nishan11 said:

come on man, it was a joke how did you not see that? lolz :p 
Score
August 5, 2011 2:24:57 AM

Its not a joke... people who got invited by EA have free access to Battlefield 3 Alpha.
Score
August 5, 2011 3:57:51 AM

foverosiv said:
Its not a joke... people who got invited by EA have free access to Battlefield 3 Alpha.

. . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

You obviously didn't read the first response either.
Score
August 5, 2011 4:22:27 AM

BF3 alpha is already somewhat public, just sayin.
Score
August 5, 2011 4:37:35 AM

stop this nonsense guys. who needs the 32x AA anyhow? srsly thats just rediculous. Im pretty sure more people will be able to max out this game no prob, and others will just have to tweak settings a tiny bit
Score
August 5, 2011 4:40:56 AM

Yeah I really dont think the requirements will be much worse than BC2. Which runs great on my PC so I'm happy lol.
Score
August 5, 2011 6:27:54 AM

32xAA... probably get 1 fph

(frames per hour)
Score
August 5, 2011 8:13:30 AM

I am have having a gaming pc built with the gtx 460 se 1gb (non superclocked version) and I am told not to over clock my pc. and with my knowledge, I won't.

I will have the raptor 10,000rpm 300gig hdd, 8 gigs ddr2 from my old pc, 500watt psu, am2/am3 board and a phenom quad core from my 4 year old HP pc, pretty sure 2.39ghz. The people at the computer place said my processor is fine for what I will have to pay / performance for upgrade and the new mobo they are putting in supports my older processor while allowing me to upgrade in the future. NZXT Steel Series Case. -- I have had bad luck with HDD's frying and I read about people installing a fan to blow directly on the HDD (should i do this? what size fan? I will gladly pay for this option if it's a smart decision ) (Please let me know if these specs are bad. I have only put half down on the pc and can change my mind on parts, within a 4 days before they put it together.)

My question is..I have looked at the benchmarks for the gtx 460 se 1gb and it's always at the end of the spectrum, whereas the gtx 560 ti 1gb seems like it could last me a a bit longer. Should I pay 100$ more for the 560 ti gpu or will the 460 se 1gb be plenty for bf3/future games at high(playable/competitive) settings? I need to know fast because they have already ordered my parts and I need to let them know if I decide to change my gpu asap.

**I understand the final specs haven't been released for BF3, but I'm sure some of you tech savvy guys can guess what will be necessary. If BFBC2 runs at 30fps on the gtx 460 se 1gb, I am pretty sure I will be in regret when BF3 launches with the same card?

Thanks a lot and any help is appreciated!
Score
August 5, 2011 10:31:14 AM

it depends on your Mhz of DDR2. Your cpu is pretty slow for a quad as well.
Score
August 5, 2011 11:49:24 AM

I got 32x AA
need 32x AA
I can render it with my 580 next sunday

Score
August 7, 2011 1:04:37 PM

it will play.
Score

Best solution

August 8, 2011 12:17:25 AM

maxim486 said:

Judgeing by u crossfireing it and since i have the same processor u should be able to def run at high but not fully maxed because DICE did say the computer hasent been built yet to run it.

And I did play the alpha at high and it played like a champ on a GTX 560
August 12, 2011 1:02:36 AM

vSpooKy said:
Judgeing by u crossfireing it and since i have the same processor u should be able to def run at high but not fully maxed because DICE did say the computer hasent been built yet to run it.

And I did play the alpha at high and it played like a champ on a GTX 560

Thank you for the reply but it is a little late.
I'm pretty jealous right now about you getting into the alpha but seeing alpha gameplay on youtube was enough for me until the beta.
I've actually went with another build and I'm hoping it will be able to max out BF3 because it easily max's out BFBC2.

Intel i7 950 D0 stepping
Dominator GT with DHX Pro Connector and Airflow II Fan — 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit
EVGA Classified GTX 590
ASUS Rampage III Extreme
1000 Watt Corsair PSU
Corsair Hydro H70 CPU Cooler
Score
August 12, 2011 1:05:12 AM

maxim486 said:
Thank you for the reply but it is a little late.
I'm pretty jealous right now about you getting into the alpha but seeing alpha gameplay on youtube was enough for me until the beta.
I've actually went with another build and I'm hoping it will be able to max out BF3 because it easily max's out BFBC2.

Intel i7 950 D0 stepping
Dominator GT with DHX Pro Connector and Airflow II Fan — 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit
EVGA Classified GTX 590
ASUS Rampage III Extreme
1000 Watt Corsair PSU
Corsair Hydro H70 CPU Cooler

have you bought this or is this a proposed build?
Score
August 12, 2011 1:18:14 AM

This game is selling a tone of hardware before it's even been released.
Score
August 12, 2011 1:55:04 AM

benski said:
This game is selling a tone of hardware before it's even been released.

Yup and the key word was PC is lead platform
Score
August 12, 2011 2:10:27 AM

cbrunnem said:
have you bought this or is this a proposed build?

I have already bought this rig.
I also I bought a 2100 Gaming Network card and a Corsair 800D case.
Score
August 12, 2011 2:39:39 AM

Best answer selected by maxim486.
Score
a c 386 À AMD
August 12, 2011 4:37:39 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!