VIA + GEFORCE annomoly

G

I've been dealing with this problem for about a year now. VIA Apollo KX133 chipsets have a weird problem with Geforce cards. It will not boot initially on a cold boot, and must be warm booted several times after to get it to start. Well my motherboard, after a year of this, finally bit the dust and died on me. If you aren't sure what I am talking about, you can read <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q2/000507/index.html" target="_new">this</A> article detailing the problem, or just <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q2/000507/kx133-02.html" target="_new">skip to the page</A> he mentions it. So what I am wondering is if this problem has been fixed in the past year, or if anyone has a KX133 motherboard and Geforce card that works fine. Also, can anyone suggest a good alternative to the Apollo KX133 chipset? Remember it must be a chipset that is found on Slot A motherboards :/

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The problem you refer to has more to do with the voltage regulator found on many kx 133 boards and not the chipset itself. I have an Asus k7v with a gforce2 pro and have no issues. Before this card it had a Gforce 256 DDR 64 meg ( leadtech) and it also had no issues. I know some of the Epox boards were notorius for this.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Hmmm. Well I definantly won't buy another ABIT board for this processor. I sort of don't want to buy Asus though. I am very pissed off with the way they have handled their cheating drivers.

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I have also had problems with asus boards. While their performance is great, they seem to have fundamental gliches. I recommend not buying one, sadly enough, until they are at least on their 4th bios update. Lately, I have been testing giga-byte boards. While they aren't swimming in features, they are very fast performing, low cost, high quality motherboards. I have found them to be far more stable, especially with amd/via chipsets. I haven't tested their latest 760 chipset boards, but if you are looking for an alternative mobo maker, you might want to give them a try. Their amd 760 boards are also about $40 cheaper than asus boards.

-- Chaos is the better order.

G

Well about 4 months ago Asus released drivers for its Geforce 2 line of cards that enabled wireframe mode and a special see-through mode that allowed you to cheat in multiplayer games. There was a huge backlash from the online community before Asus ever even released them, but somehow they were either leaked or released anyways. Asus removed this feature from their later drivers. Well in their latest drivers, Asus once again enabled the cheats, even after the huge backlash they recieved the first time. They now again withdrew the drivers, but again, the damage is done. The drivers are out and are something that is VERY difficult to protect against.