Anyone remembers old Volo's Guide To... ?

caleb

Distinguished
May 3, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Yup, I'm talking about that old sourcebooks / atlas / whatever for pen and
paper Forgotten Realms. I was busy taking notes on what alchemy ingredients
are where, where to find decent armor and voila: struck me. Why not making a
Guide to Vvardenfell?
I've already started writing it: presently, I have a quick survey of the
Grazelands, including Vos and the Ashlander camps, and a partial guide to
Balmora and West Gash.
I can post it here for a beta-testing read, and if it goes on good enough, I
can go on (gonna need a little help on someplace btw). What ya think?

Caleb

Jackson

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

What ya think?

Good idea, although isn't Sakari's (sp?) book of secrets basically the same
thing?

Jackson.

Jackson <Jackson@mail.com> wrote in message
l6nAc.645$LT3.33142@news.xtra.co.nz...
> What ya think?
> >

> Good idea, although isn't Sakari's (sp?) book of secrets basically the
same
> thing?
>
> Jackson.

What what what?
Where I find these things?

Caleb

> What ya think?
> >

> Good idea, although isn't Sakari's (sp?) book of secrets basically the
same
> thing?
>
> Jackson.

I think Caleb is referring to more of an in-character guide. It would be a
sort of survey of interesting locations in Vvardenfell written from the
perspective of a traveler.

-Scott Roper

Jackson

"Caleb" <kaleb@scourgbarrow.df> wrote in message
> Jackson <Jackson@mail.com> wrote in message
> l6nAc.645$LT3.33142@news.xtra.co.nz...
> > What ya think?
> > >

> > Good idea, although isn't Sakari's (sp?) book of secrets basically the
> same
> > thing?
> >
> > Jackson.
> >

> What what what?
> Where I find these things?

Try here;

Shakti's book of secrets for Morrowwind
http://home.austin.rr.com/shakti/morrowind/

Jackson

Jackson

> "Caleb" <kaleb@scourgbarrow.df> wrote in message
> > Jackson <Jackson@mail.com> wrote in message
> > l6nAc.645$LT3.33142@news.xtra.co.nz...
> > > What ya think?
> > > >

> > > Good idea, although isn't Sakari's (sp?) book of secrets basically the
> > same
> > > thing?
> > >
> > > Jackson.
> > >

> > What what what?
> > Where I find these things?
>
> Try here;
>
> Shakti's book of secrets for Morrowwind
> http://home.austin.rr.com/shakti/morrowind/

Heres a breakdown of what hes done:

list of all fast travel routes, Tribunal Temple recall points, and Imperial
Cult recall points
list of all mnster levels and soul gem values categorized by size of soul
gem they fit into
names, locations, and special requirements for using all "secret master"
trainers
list of all beneficial alchemical potion formulas, with the
negatively-interacting ingredients edited out and all the expensive
ingredients edited out. Every formula is as cheap as possible to make and
will have no negative effects (meaning you don't need an alembic to make
them).
names of all essential NPCs that will break the storyline if you kill them
names and locations of notable vendors like the Creeper and the drunken
mudcrab

gMpAc.704$LT3.35174@news.xtra.co.nz...
> > Shakti's book of secrets for Morrowwind
> > http://home.austin.rr.com/shakti/morrowind/
> >

> Heres a breakdown of what hes done:
>
> list of all fast travel routes, Tribunal Temple recall points, and
Imperial
> Cult recall points
> list of all mnster levels and soul gem values categorized by size of soul
> gem they fit into
> names, locations, and special requirements for using all "secret master"
> trainers
> list of all beneficial alchemical potion formulas, with the
> negatively-interacting ingredients edited out and all the expensive
> ingredients edited out. Every formula is as cheap as possible to make and
> will have no negative effects (meaning you don't need an alembic to make
> them).
> names of all essential NPCs that will break the storyline if you kill them
> names and locations of notable vendors like the Creeper and the drunken
> mudcrab
>
> Jackson.

Oh, it's a sort of hint book then? My intention was to make a traveller's
guide, basically useful info without giving out too much stuff or spoil the
fun. Better to post a bit of it so you can judge yourself:

(a quick note: the J and K and L's are actually Wingdings symbols,
respectively a smiley, a normal face and a sad face; this stuff is based on
the Complete Morrowind 1-4 mods as I feel they add a whole lot of realism to
the game; the XXX's means i have to double-check the name)

The Grazelands

The fertile heart of Vvardenfell. The rolling green hills and luscious
plains may be deceptive to the occasional pilgrim, as the Grazelands are
mostly uninhabited, save for nasty beasts and unfriendly Ashlander camps.
Endless fields of wild Wickwheat dot the plains from the northern coast to
the valley running from the Ashlander Zainab camp to the sea, from west to
east, with the occasional Stoneflower here and there. South of that, the
wickwheat is still present, but in company of the odd Hackle-Lo plant, which
seems to have the nasty habit of growing right in the middle of rocky
formations - quite an annoyance for the occasional alchemist!
This seems also to be the only region in Vvardenfell with Wallnut trees,
appreciated source of wood for longbows and crossbows.
As for fauna, the Grazelands host a variety of reptilian creatures, guar,
alit, kagouti, plus the ever-present Tamrielic rat, packs of savage
nix-hounds, fire-breathing shalk nests and the occasional Ogrim. Lack of
civilization and close proximity with the Red Mountain advise to travel only
if well armed and with a couple Restore Health, Cure Disease and Cure Blight
extra potions.
Be also careful when passing near the Dwemer ruins of XXX, as lesser Daedra
have been spotted in close proximity (My guide told me to have also seen a
Golden Saint marching near the entrance, and a strange traffic of pale men
and mer during the darkest hour of the night; vampires, if you believe that.
I'm not saying there are but be careful nonetheless).

Settlements

· Vos, Telvanni

The oddest town in the island. Period. Coming from the sea, it first looks
like the ordinary Telvanni mushroom settlement (...as if it was something
ordinary in Telvanni settlements!). A closer look reveals the first of Vos's
many surprises: a Redoran style group of farms, in perfect symbiosys with
the giant Telvanni mushrooms! But wait: climb the hill and pay a visit to
Master Aryon's own residence, Tel Vos: a ruined Imperial stronghold
dominated by and mixed with a perfect Telvanni mushroom tower. Truly, Tel
Vos is something you have to visit at least once in during your permanence
in Vvardenfell.

Services in Vos

Travel occurs exclusively by boat. Routes go to nearby Tel Mora, to Tel
Aruhn, Sadrith Mora and Dagon Fel.

XXX's Tradehouse
Trade: K
Rest: JJ

The only place to rest and buy something outside the tower of Tel Vos, is
located in the small mushroom tower right on the docks. A very limited offer
of goodies (the local undrinkable sewer juice Dunmer call "liquors", bread
and kwama eggs, and if you're lucky you may stumble in some characteristic
Ashlander dishes like Nix-Hound, Guar or Rat steak), reasonable beds and a
very boring atmosphere mark this place as one of the quietest in all
Vvardenfell. What a pity.

Services Tower
Trade: J (members only)
Danger: LL
Let me start by saying that actually reaching the Services Tower in Tel Vos
is a major pain in the rear. Thanks to those crazy Telvanni wizards you
either have to fly up the entrance or go through a couple of other towers
before. Including the really really odd Aryon's Private Imperial Museum - in
which our beloved Master Aryon keeps a nice collection of Imperial
manufacts, including a healthy and breathing Imperial guard. Oh, and a
little show upstairs of Dwemer artifacts - including a fully functional
Steam Centurion. ( A little sidenote for all you rogues out there: do NOT
think it'll be easy prey. Master Aryon keeps a full surveillance on his
toys, and besides that, he also has a VERY mean looking Argonian in full
glass armor guarding the museum. You've been warned). Also be careful when
crossing the Southern Tower to get to buy something: our host likes to keep
lesser Daedra roaming through the tower. Yours truly had to run from a Fire
Atronach with a wicked temper (Let me point out a detail: Master Aryon is by
far the sanest of all Telvanni wizards. Makes you think twice before paying
a visit to Therana in Tel Branora, hmm?).
When you finally reach the damn Tower, you'll find an adequate potion
seller, chronically short on Cure Blight potions by the way, and a couple of
trainers. All restricted to House Telvanni, obviously.

· Ahemmusa, Ashlander

Go north from Vos and follow the coast to the west. You will soon see the
Ahemmusa tribe circle of yurts. Be wary by the way: Ashlanders are not very
friendly to outlanders. If you really, really, really want to go there, keep
your hands away from your weapons and bring a gift.

Services in Ahemmusa camp
There are just a couple of low-ranking traders in the gulakhan's yurts, with
next to useless stuff in store. Useful if you want an Ashlander frying pan
(it is made from a hollowed-out shalk shell, with the nice characteristic
that its back is impervious to heat while the center is not: a great natural
cooking tool and something to amaze your friends and kin with when you are
back in Cyrodiil) but not much else.

· Zainab, Ashlander

Go south from Vos until you hit the valley entrance (definitely looks like
what remains of a very ancient foyada to me), then turn west and go
straight. The Zainab camp is right in the middle of a small depression
between three small hills. Be wary that the usual recommendations for
Ashlander camps apply, and on top of that, if you happen to be both Dunmer
and female, try to stay away from the Ashkhan's yurt. When I visited the
camp, I was with a Dunmer girl acting as a guide... but the poor girl didn't
know anything of the Ashkhan's "weak spot" for women... he kept eyeing the
girl in the way a hungry kagouti looks at a rat, and asked me to give her to
him as a proof of my friendship! It wasn't until after many gifts of gold
coins and mazte (and the intervention of a very upset wise woman) that he
let us go away...

Services in Zainab camp
Pretty much the same as in every Ashlander camp. Few items of poor quality;
the only reason to get there would be for an original Ashlander frying pan.

Jackson

"Scott Roper" <digitalfenceIGNORETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Jackson" <Jackson@mail.com> wrote in message
> > What ya think?
> > >

> > Good idea, although isn't Sakari's (sp?) book of secrets basically the
> same
> > thing?
> >
> > Jackson.
> >

> I think Caleb is referring to more of an in-character guide. It would be
> sort of survey of interesting locations in Vvardenfell written from the
> perspective of a traveler.
>
> -Scott Roper

Oh ok. Well that would be interesting reading also.

Jackson.

Jackson

> [...]
> between three small hills. Be wary that the usual recommendations for
> Ashlander camps apply, and on top of that, if you happen to be both Dunmer
> and female, try to stay away from the Ashkhan's yurt. When I visited the
> camp, I was with a Dunmer girl acting as a guide... but the poor girl
didn't
> know anything of the Ashkhan's "weak spot" for women... he kept eyeing the
> girl in the way a hungry kagouti looks at a rat, and asked me to give her
> him as a proof of my friendship! It wasn't until after many gifts of gold
> coins and mazte (and the intervention of a very upset wise woman) that he
> let us go away...
>
> Services in Zainab camp
> Pretty much the same as in every Ashlander camp. Few items of poor
quality;
> the only reason to get there would be for an original Ashlander frying

Well that sounds like a good read. Let us know when you've released it, or
if you need help etc.

6pMBc.2533$LT3.98560@news.xtra.co.nz...

> Well that sounds like a good read. Let us know when you've released it, or
> if you need help etc.
>
> Jackson.

Boy, I was fearing it was too bad to deserve a review ;)

OK, I'll go on; I can do it all by myself but a little help would be
appreciated, especially for the Molag Amur area... so... anyone feeling like
a little scouting trip?

(Make sure to post your PC's name, class and race, I'll include them in the
guide)

Caleb