HP Pavilion zv5000 periodic freezing

Ever since I bought this laptop I've noticed that at times it just
seems to stop. The only way I know this is going on is when I'm typing
and suddenly no characters are appearing. This freeze lasts for about
a second. When I'm really typing away a few of the characters I typed
during the freeze will appear but the rest are dropped and I have to
retype. These freezes occur quite often, say several times in 5
minutes.

PC specs:
AMD64 3200+
512MB RAM
80GB hard drive
Windows XP Home w/SP2

Has anyone else had any problems like this or can make a suggestion as
to what I might begin to look for? Thanks in advance!

Dave
3 answers Last reply
More about pavilion zv5000 periodic freezing

    I doubt if it's a key logger as I scan quite often for spyware/adware.
    In fact, I just got done doing that. I also run a virus scan a couple
    times per week right after I do the spyware/adware scans.

    I hadn't thought of the anti-virus program. I'll try disabling it for
    a while when I hit some forums later tonight. The spyware/adware
    programs I use don't run full-time, so I doubt if it's them doing their
    thing.

    I also don't think it's the CPU too busy because generally I have very
    few programs running. I'm at work now and this is when the laptop is
    being used the most and I have Outlook, Gaim, and my firewall and
    anti-virus program running. Just checked and I have 37 processes
    running right now. Later tonight I'll go through the list and check
    all of them out to make sure nothing bad might be running.

    But thanks for the tip on the anti-virus program! I hadn't thought of
    that one. :)

    Dave

    Date: 15 Jun 2005 12:22:40 -0700

    Ever since I bought this laptop I've noticed that at times it just
    seems to stop. The only way I know this is going on is when I'm
    typing and suddenly no characters are appearing. This freeze lasts
    for about a second. When I'm really typing away a few of the
    characters I typed during the freeze will appear but the rest are
    dropped and I have to retype. These freezes occur quite often, say
    several times in 5 minutes.

    PC specs:
    AMD64 3200+
    512MB RAM
    80GB hard drive
    Windows XP Home w/SP2

    Has anyone else had any problems like this or can make a suggestion
    as to what I might begin to look for? Thanks in advance!

    Hi Dave... There are lots of things that can cause this. Key loggers,
    Word auto saves, Anti-virus checker checking, spyware checker, CPU too
    busy to read the keyboard buffer, etc. To figure things out, one usually
    starts to eliminate one or more things at a time and then see what
    happens.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

    Date: 15 Jun 2005 14:34:05 -0700

    I doubt if it's a key logger as I scan quite often for
    spyware/adware. In fact, I just got done doing that. I also run a
    virus scan a couple times per week right after I do the
    spyware/adware scans.

    Hi Dave... Well the one thing to keep in mind about key loggers are that
    the legit ones sold for legal purposes like watching your spouse or
    children are not flagged by anti-spyware software. So just a thought.

    I hadn't thought of the anti-virus program. I'll try disabling it
    for a while when I hit some forums later tonight. The
    spyware/adware programs I use don't run full-time, so I doubt if
    it's them doing their thing.

    I also don't think it's the CPU too busy because generally I have
    very few programs running. I'm at work now and this is when the
    laptop is being used the most and I have Outlook, Gaim, and my
    firewall and anti-virus program running. Just checked and I have 37
    processes running right now. Later tonight I'll go through the list
    and check all of them out to make sure nothing bad might be
    running.

    Run the Task Manager to monitor your CPU use. Just right click on a
    blank area of your taskbar.

    But thanks for the tip on the anti-virus program! I hadn't thought
    of that one. :)

    It could be lots of things, even hardware.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

Hewlett Packard HP Pavilion Computers