Problem with VIA temp fix

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
I'm in need of some major help. I have tried everything I can think of to get this temp fix to work ( the one where you change register 52 to EB ), but no matter what I do, the system has the same problem. What happens is, I change the value, and the system will run fine, but then all of a sudden at random, it will just restart itself. I have tried just changing the register value using the ASUS v1004 BIOS, and I've also tried the 1004fxd bios from www.braziliantech.com which had the same problem. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this a problem others are having. Thanks.

Also, could this be a problem with not enough power? Right now I have the following in my system:

1.2 ghz athlon at 1.4ghz
vantec heatsink with 7200 RPM fan
hercules prophet II MX
2 7200 RPM HDDs
DVD-rom drive
D-Link network card
Turtle beach sound card
2 80 mm case fans

The power supply is a turbomax 300W. Do I need more power for my current configuration? Thanks

Barry_Gibb

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
I do not think you need more power: I have a similar system with a 250W power supply, and everything is perfect, except that stupid 686b southbridge problem. But don't worry, it is in no way related to power.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
never be so quick to make a judgement like that, you do not know this for sure. Random restarts are usually a sign of exactly that, a bad/insuffient power supply.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is a very good chance that your power supply is the culprit. Overclocking your cpu puts an extra load on the power supply. One can never be sure but it would still be a good idea to get your self a nice 400-450 watt supply. Have you tried wpcredit and wpcreset to change register 52? It would appear that you have but you do not mention it so I ask anyways. Does this problem only hapopen after you alter the register setting or does it happen otherwise as well?

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
Yes, I have tried the edit and set programs. As for when the problem happens, it is only after I either change the value via the programs or use a fixed bios that changes the 52 value. Also, when I do either of these, the bios or the register change, the fan on my heantsink appears to speed and slow based on CPU activity. When it is idle, the fan is slower and when under load, the fan speeds up. Any ideas?