Duke Nukem Forever and Steam

wooky

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Hi Guys,
Having problems installing DN forever. I bought the game for $90, but whenever I try to install the game, it logs onto steam and tryz to d/l the game ??? Im confused.. why d/l if I own the game??. Should I return the game and get my $$$ back and get a torrent ??
It's really peeing me off to say the least. I've tried the WIN+R stuff, and it continues to try to d/l.
Any help is really appreciated.
Thanking you in advance,
Wooky

steam is a download service. you buy the game and download it to your pc instead of buying a disk and installing it on your pc. you install it via steam.
it means no matter where you are or what pc your on you can always download and play it.

and DNF has never cost $90 on steam its £29.99 or around $45 if you payed 90 then you bought 2 copies.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

I played 5 mins of the demo and Hexit is right. Wait for a sale, you will miss nothing by waiting.

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Based on what you described, it would seem that you activated the retail game through its product code on steam. If it has tried to download the game from steam, it means you probably have activated that game on steam (if you bought retail) and it is tied to your account on steam (if you purchased it through steam this is even more true). If you do sell it, the new owner will not be able to use the product (unless if you have bought two copies as Hexit suggested, in which case you can sell the one whose product code you did not activate on steam, or the method of activation for this game is different than other games downloaded through steam) because that game is tied to your account on steam (in the case of two copies being purchased, you can gift one copy if you made a gift purchase on steam or if you bought retail and did not activate the key as mentioned above).

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

He could have purchased retail- DN Forever retail copies can be activated on steam along with some other titles. In this case, retailers can charge a higher price than the price suggested by the developers or steam, based on market conditions, etc.

Full list of retail games that can be activated on steam can be found in this steam support article: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

As far as I can tell, DN requires steam to play, even the retail version. Here is what it says on the box.

OTHER REQUIREMENTS & SUPPORTS
Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft DirectX, Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (ATL), Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, and AMD Dual Core Optimizer. (AMD optimizer required only for specific AMD processors to run the game correctly, but installs for all of them.)