Gigabyte GA-7ZXR (Rev. 2.2) Problems

G

I have a big problem that has been impossible to solve.

My System:

GA-7ZXR (Rev. 2.2) Mainboard
Thunderbird 1333 Mhz CPU
512 MB PC-133 Memory
2 Maxtor 40 GIG 7200 RPM Hard Drives
1 Fujitsu 27.5 GIG Hard Drive
Plextor 16x10x40 CD-RW Drive
DVD Drive
ATi All In Wonder Radeon 32 MB Video Card
2 Network Cards
SBlaster Live Value
DVD Decoder Card
300 Watt power supply

My problem since I went to this CPU and MB are that I cannot keep the system cool (or so it seems it is heat related). And when doing anything CPU intense then doing a restart of the system the BIOS comes up and says it has lost the setting and I must setup my bios. But if I just turn the system off at that point and let it sit for a few mins and then turn it back on it boots fine. I have tried everything. I have a fan at the front bottom of the case bring in cool air. I have a fan at the back middle of the case taking out the hot air, as well as the power supply fan taking out the hot air. If I close the side of the case the problem is worse. I even went as far as turning the fan in the middle back around to bring cool air in and I built a housing that tunnels it right over the CPU fan so as to get cooler air blowing on the CPU Cooler. I am using a AMD recomended Cooler Master Cooler. I am not sure what is the problem. I also have updated to the latest BIOS to see if that helped. Tried running different memory. Nothing seems to help. In the hardware or software it says my MB is running at 30C and that when this problems seems to happen is when my CPU is around the 60C mark. I hope someone can help. Thanks.

USE THE ONBOARD HARDWARE MONITOR IN THE BIOS, AND SEE WHAT THE TEMPERATURE OF THE CPU IS. ANYTHING HIGHER THAN 127 (ABOUT 53 CELCIUS) WILL CAUSE THE PROBLEM YOU DESCRIBE. ARE YOU USING HEAT SINK COMPOUND? I USE THE $2 RADIO SHACK WHITE PASTE, BUT BETTER ONES ARE AVAILABLE. USE IT SPARINGLY. AMD DOES NOT RECOMMEND USING IT, BUT AN AMD REP I SPOKE WITH SAYS IT IS OK IN VERY SMALL AMOUNTS. IF YOUR CPU TEMP IS 125 OR LESS, THE PROBLEM COULD BE CAUSED BY SOMETHING ELSE, SUCH AS UNSTABLE OVERCLOCK SETTINGS. ARE YOU HOLDING DOWN THE INSERT KEY WHEN REBOOTING? THIS MIGHT CAUSE THE BIOS SETTINGS TO RESET TO DEFAULT, OR MAYBE THIS IS CAUSED BY A BAD BATTERY ON THE MOTHERBOARD. GOOD LUCK

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Man, you have a lot going on in that system. First, to satisfy your feeling that this issue is heat related do the following ( don't worry it is only temporary ) Take the case side/cover off and place a house fan blowing into the case fairly close. See if the problem still exists. If no then yes it would appear to be heat related. If it does than heat, though still a concern, is not the direct cause of your problems. I would suggest the following in this order:

1) Cmos battery
2) power supply ( 300 watts is not enoung for all your hardware!)

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Yes I have sat in the Hardware Monitor in the Bios. It sits at about 55 C to 60 C. I do use heat sink compound and very sparingly.I do not overclock. When this problem happenes It is mainly after doing something CPU intense then reseting. If I turn the computer off after it says the bios needs to be setup...then wait about 5 mins and turn the computer back on again it boots fine. So something is making my computer think the bios settings are not setup. I figured it may be heat related. The motherboard is only about 2 months old and I have had this problem ever since going to this board and CPU. Thanks for the help.