Morrowind Invisible Character

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

I have just begun playing this game and although other npcs are visible
and vocal I only have a small cross representing my character. The
inventory shows clothing i.e. tunic etc. next to an empty picture box.
I'd be grateful for any ideas on how to fix this.

Bev
More about morrowind invisible character
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Bev wrote:

    > I have just begun playing this game and although other npcs are visible
    > and vocal I only have a small cross representing my character. The
    > inventory shows clothing i.e. tunic etc. next to an empty picture box.
    > I'd be grateful for any ideas on how to fix this.

    Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Since this is a
    first-person perspective game, you won't see your character
    while playing. The small cross on screen represents what
    your character has focused her attention on, or what you are
    aiming a weapon at. However, you should be able to see your
    character at the left side of your inventory window when you
    right click and pause the game.

    Are you saying there is nothing to the left of your inventory
    window?

    What system are you running the game on; specifically, what
    video card?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "Briarroot" <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> wrote in message
    > Bev wrote:
    > >
    > > I have just begun playing this game and although other npcs are visible
    > > and vocal I only have a small cross representing my character. The
    > > inventory shows clothing i.e. tunic etc. next to an empty picture box.
    > > I'd be grateful for any ideas on how to fix this.
    >
    > Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Since this is a
    > first-person perspective game, you won't see your character
    > while playing.

    You can see your character if you switch to the 3rd person view by pressing
    the tab key (and you can switch back to 1st person view the same way).
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Sarah wrote:

    > "Briarroot" <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> wrote in message
    > > Bev wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I have just begun playing this game and although other npcs are visible
    > > > and vocal I only have a small cross representing my character. The
    > > > inventory shows clothing i.e. tunic etc. next to an empty picture box.
    > > > I'd be grateful for any ideas on how to fix this.
    > >
    > > Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Since this is a
    > > first-person perspective game, you won't see your character
    > > while playing.
    >
    > You can see your character if you switch to the 3rd person view by pressing
    > the tab key (and you can switch back to 1st person view the same way).

    Right, I know that. I didn't want to confuse Bev with
    too much information at once. ;-)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Briarroot wrote:

    > Bev wrote:
    > >
    > > I have just begun playing this game and although other npcs are visible
    > > and vocal I only have a small cross representing my character. The
    > > inventory shows clothing i.e. tunic etc. next to an empty picture box.
    > > I'd be grateful for any ideas on how to fix this.
    >
    > Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Since this is a
    > first-person perspective game, you won't see your character
    > while playing. The small cross on screen represents what
    > your character has focused her attention on, or what you are
    > aiming a weapon at. However, you should be able to see your
    > character at the left side of your inventory window when you
    > right click and pause the game.
    >
    > Are you saying there is nothing to the left of your inventory
    > window?
    >
    > What system are you running the game on; specifically, what
    > video card?

    Thanks for clarifying that I don't have a figure to operate and that the
    small cross representing my character's view point is normal. I haven't
    played a first person game before. However I don't have anything to the
    left in my inventory i.e. no picture character to equip. I have tried
    several different characters but no go.

    I have W98 with 256 RAM, ASUS A7N266 VM Mainboard (integrated
    graphics) I've run NWN and Icewind Dale successfully although I had to
    upgrade my video card.

    I was thinking of reinstalling the game.

    Bev
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "Bev" <bevdun@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Briarroot wrote:
    > >
    > > Bev wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I have just begun playing this game and although other npcs are
    visible
    > > > and vocal I only have a small cross representing my character.
    The
    > > > inventory shows clothing i.e. tunic etc. next to an empty
    picture box.
    > > > I'd be grateful for any ideas on how to fix this.
    > >
    > > Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Since this is a
    > > first-person perspective game, you won't see your character
    > > while playing. The small cross on screen represents what
    > > your character has focused her attention on, or what you are
    > > aiming a weapon at. However, you should be able to see your
    > > character at the left side of your inventory window when you
    > > right click and pause the game.
    > >
    > > Are you saying there is nothing to the left of your inventory
    > > window?
    > >
    > > What system are you running the game on; specifically, what
    > > video card?
    >
    > Thanks for clarifying that I don't have a figure to operate and that
    the
    > small cross representing my character's view point is normal. I
    haven't
    > played a first person game before. However I don't have anything to
    the
    > left in my inventory i.e. no picture character to equip. I have
    tried
    > several different characters but no go.

    Obviously you haven't *finished* creating your character yet. Follow
    all the instructions until you get past ALL the official people.

    Also, you can re-size the windows by manual click-and-drag on the
    edges. Check to see whether the window the game's giving you isn't in
    fact too small.

    Jonathan.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Bev wrote:

    > Thanks for clarifying that I don't have a figure to operate and that the
    > small cross representing my character's view point is normal. I haven't
    > played a first person game before. However I don't have anything to the
    > left in my inventory i.e. no picture character to equip. I have tried
    > several different characters but no go.
    >
    > I have W98 with 256 RAM, ASUS A7N266 VM Mainboard (integrated
    > graphics) I've run NWN and Icewind Dale successfully although I had to
    > upgrade my video card.

    Since you're already running the game, I'm going to presume you
    have DirectX 8.1 or higher already installed. I'm suspicious
    of the integrated graphics, but I can't tell for sure if that's
    the source of your difficulty. Do you know if the graphics
    processor shares main system RAM with the CPU? What resolution
    are you running at? 800 x 600? Perhaps the left edge of the
    inventory window is off the screen. You might try 'grabbing'
    the window with your mouse and dragging it to the right.
    Sorry I can't help more with this. :-/

    > I was thinking of reinstalling the game.

    Why don't you check in the official Bethesda forums first.

    http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

    I just did a quick search in the "Hardware and Software Issues"
    forum for "paper doll" and found a few threads from folks who had
    the same problem you describe. One person apparently had a No-CD
    patch installed, and another had a video card with only 32MB memory.
    Perhaps someone in those forums can help you sort this out.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Briarroot wrote:

    > Bev wrote:
    > >

    > > Thanks for clarifying that I don't have a figure to operate and that the
    > > small cross representing my character's view point is normal. I haven't
    > > played a first person game before. However I don't have anything to the
    > > left in my inventory i.e. no picture character to equip. I have tried
    > > several different characters but no go.
    > >
    > > I have W98 with 256 RAM, ASUS A7N266 VM Mainboard (integrated
    > > graphics) I've run NWN and Icewind Dale successfully although I had to
    > > upgrade my video card.
    >
    > Since you're already running the game, I'm going to presume you
    > have DirectX 8.1 or higher already installed. I'm suspicious
    > of the integrated graphics, but I can't tell for sure if that's
    > the source of your difficulty. Do you know if the graphics
    > processor shares main system RAM with the CPU? What resolution
    > are you running at? 800 x 600? Perhaps the left edge of the
    > inventory window is off the screen. You might try 'grabbing'
    > the window with your mouse and dragging it to the right.
    > Sorry I can't help more with this. :-/
    >

    > > I was thinking of reinstalling the game.
    >
    > Why don't you check in the official Bethesda forums first.
    >
    > http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
    >
    > I just did a quick search in the "Hardware and Software Issues"
    > forum for "paper doll" and found a few threads from folks who had
    > the same problem you describe. One person apparently had a No-CD
    > patch installed, and another had a video card with only 32MB memory.
    > Perhaps someone in those forums can help you sort this out.

    Thanks Briarroot, You've been a lot of help and I'm grateful. I've
    looked at the forums but trying to register seemed to take hours so I
    gave it away. However following up on the threads might be
    profitable. The left edge of the inventory is on the screen so I think
    that is OK. I have one or two suggestions from another ng. One looks
    promising but I haven't been able to activate it :- "Open the console,
    type enableracemenu and hit enter. Chose another face from he menu and
    save. Some of the faces do turn up blank, i.e. invisible sometimes.
    Also check the meshes and textures folders in your date files folder.
    The game being unable to find the correct mesh and texture files.
    These files are named after which race, i.e. breton, redguard etc.
    They are used for and will typically be in the b-folder." The trouble
    is when I open the console and hit enter the whole lot disappears and
    I'm out of the game!

    The only other thing that is odd is when I try to save on Quick Save.
    A message comes up "Unable to create texture for screen shot after
    texture purges, continue runing executable, yes, no." When I type yes
    the screen changes behind the message boxes. I can save OK though.

    Bev
    --
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Bev wrote:

    > Thanks Briarroot, You've been a lot of help and I'm grateful. I've
    > looked at the forums but trying to register seemed to take hours so I
    > gave it away. However following up on the threads might be
    > profitable. The left edge of the inventory is on the screen so I think
    > that is OK. I have one or two suggestions from another ng. One looks
    > promising but I haven't been able to activate it :- "Open the console,
    > type enableracemenu and hit enter. Chose another face from he menu and
    > save. Some of the faces do turn up blank, i.e. invisible sometimes.
    > Also check the meshes and textures folders in your date files folder.
    > The game being unable to find the correct mesh and texture files.
    > These files are named after which race, i.e. breton, redguard etc.
    > They are used for and will typically be in the b-folder." The trouble
    > is when I open the console and hit enter the whole lot disappears and
    > I'm out of the game!
    >
    > The only other thing that is odd is when I try to save on Quick Save.
    > A message comes up "Unable to create texture for screen shot after
    > texture purges, continue runing executable, yes, no." When I type yes
    > the screen changes behind the message boxes. I can save OK though.

    I'm almost positive your problem can be traced back to your
    graphics processor. I don't suppose it's worth suggesting
    that you disable your onboard graphics and plug in a capable
    video card because it's very likely that your motherboard has
    no AGP slot. The only suggestion I can make at this point is
    that you go the Morrowind's Options menu and turn down all
    graphic settings as far as you can. If that doesn't have the
    desired effect, and if a re-install doesn't work, you may well
    be out of luck. Sorry. :-(

Games Video Games