Need help choosing phone for wife ...

Last response: in Network Providers
October 27, 2004 8:26:54 PM

My wife is in first stage of Alzheimer's. This means she can still drive to
local stores. She is very successful at voice dialing me, using a clam
shell LG TM510. (2001?) It's good for emergencies, but mostly we use it at
the mall to find each other. Her average minutes is 8/month. Before I
leave Verizon to get myself an Audiovox SMT5600 at ATT, I thought I'd use
our Verizon upgrade dollars to buy her a new phone. Any ideas to aid her,
or add more reliability to our situation, would be very much appreciated.
Here's my cut at her "needs assessment," - followed by my thinking thus far.

(1) Excellent voice dialing
(2) Reliability. (Particularly no dropped calls. And no shutting off ...
erratic behavior, etc.)
(3) Small size, but easy to handle. (I don't think she knows how to use the
buttons - just opens and closes the cover and talks.)

The LG TM510 weighs 5 oz. A newer 4 oz phone would be a small but useful
inducement to slip it into her purse more often.

Having a louder ring might give her some more carrying options. With the
TM510, she has to carry it in a jacket pocket to hear it. (As opposed to
her purse.)

How about a picture to confirm who is calling her and whom she is calling?
I've been researching this, but am clueless as to whether this is truly
effective in the real world. Besides the possibility of it triggering or
speeding up her logic connections, I think it could have an attractive "toy"
appeal. In the same way, we guys love our toys. You know - it might get
her to bond with it more. Maybe women would call this an "attractive
accessory"

Some times the phone is left in her purse, discharges and shuts off, she
eventually puts it in the charging cradle and then takes it with her,
unconscious of the fact that it needs booting up. Of course, she can't
receive calls. And if she opens it up to call me, it is unresponsive to
voice commands so she assumes it is broken. I don't see any solution to
that, - but maybe you do.

More about : choosing phone wife

October 28, 2004 4:01:53 PM

"Tom F" <xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<OeudndOU1Lj_rR3cRVn-pA@comcast.com>...
> My wife is in first stage of Alzheimer's. This means she can still drive to
> local stores. She is very successful at voice dialing me, using a clam
> shell LG TM510. (2001?) It's good for emergencies, but mostly we use it at
> the mall to find each other. Her average minutes is 8/month. Before I
> leave Verizon to get myself an Audiovox SMT5600 at ATT, I thought I'd use
> our Verizon upgrade dollars to buy her a new phone. Any ideas to aid her,
> or add more reliability to our situation, would be very much appreciated.
> Here's my cut at her "needs assessment," - followed by my thinking thus far.
>
> (1) Excellent voice dialing
> (2) Reliability. (Particularly no dropped calls. And no shutting off ...
> erratic behavior, etc.)
> (3) Small size, but easy to handle. (I don't think she knows how to use the
> buttons - just opens and closes the cover and talks.)
>
> The LG TM510 weighs 5 oz. A newer 4 oz phone would be a small but useful
> inducement to slip it into her purse more often.
>
> Having a louder ring might give her some more carrying options. With the
> TM510, she has to carry it in a jacket pocket to hear it. (As opposed to
> her purse.)
>
> How about a picture to confirm who is calling her and whom she is calling?
> I've been researching this, but am clueless as to whether this is truly
> effective in the real world. Besides the possibility of it triggering or
> speeding up her logic connections, I think it could have an attractive "toy"
> appeal. In the same way, we guys love our toys. You know - it might get
> her to bond with it more. Maybe women would call this an "attractive
> accessory"
>
> Some times the phone is left in her purse, discharges and shuts off, she
> eventually puts it in the charging cradle and then takes it with her,
> unconscious of the fact that it needs booting up. Of course, she can't
> receive calls. And if she opens it up to call me, it is unresponsive to
> voice commands so she assumes it is broken. I don't see any solution to
> that, - but maybe you do.

Gosh I wish I could help you but I am in the market for a new phone
as well. One thing to do so she is never without power in her phone
is to get her on a schedule of charging either once a week like every
Friday or something. What I do Thursday night whether it needs it or
not I charge the phone that way I know at least through the weekend it
is charged. Also I do it Sunday Night so I know for the most part its
charged through the week. Check out PhoneScoop.Com for phone info
thats where I have been looking I think your question would be good
there as well. Also-I always buy a purse with a phone pocket so its
found easily in purse-just a idea
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 11:23:11 PM

I liked your suggestion about buying a purse with a phone pocket! (Just
passed that on to wife. Can any red blooded women resist buying one more
purse?)

On the matter of forgetting to charge her phone, one small thing that helped
was to put my charger next to hers on her kitchen desk. Sort of a his and
hers. When mine is in the cradle and hers is not, it some times reminds her
to dig it out and charge it.

Good luck on buying your phone. I was forced to make a decision here today.
I found my bonus upgrade dollars for signing another contract with Verizon
had disappeared! (I've been on month-to-month since August.) So, a
Verizon supervisor finally restored them. Yes, I was civil, even after 10 -
15 calls. Anyway, I felt it prudent to make the hardware upgrade while the
sun was shining, so bought a Samsung SCH-a670. That gives her picture-ID, -
is slightly smaller than what she has, - and it bonded with her when she
fondled it in Radio Shack yesterday.

BTW, if you are thinking Verizon, be aware that there is an unadvertised
Audiovox CDM-9900 available.

!