Cant get OS to start up

I just got done building my computer and was installing Win 7. I was able to obtain a product key from my school and used my friends Win 7 cd. I choose custom install and it recognized my hd. Then I entered my product key and it wasn't working. I later find out that he gave me his Win 7 Ultimate cd and I have the product key for Win 7 Pro. I then was able to get a Win 7 Pro cd from another friend and went through the same process. This time when I get prompt and choose custom, it does not recognize my hd anymore. Can anyone help me as to why this is occurring? TIA
10 answers Last reply
More about cant start
  1. I should also add that before I was able to get the Win 7 Pro cd from my other friend, I was installing XP so I could get online to my schools website to just download Win 7 onto my computer bc at the time I wasn't sure if I was able to get my hands on a Win 7 Pro cd. I was going through the XP set up and partitioned with NTFS? In the middle of the set up, I ended up exiting out bc my friend msged me saying he had a Win 7 Pro key.

This is my first build and Im pretty lost right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. does BIOS see the HDD? if so then download the Ultimate Boot CD burn to a disk and boot the computer with it, us the HDD tools and Wipe the drive, one pass zero's, then try the Win 7 install again
  3. Stop trying to pirate the software and buy a legal version. That will fix all your problems.
  4. jitpublisher said:
    Stop trying to pirate the software and buy a legal version. That will fix all your problems.

I never once said I was pirating. If you read my original post, I said I got a product key from my school. My school offers free upgrade Win 7 to students.
  5. if possible do not upgrade, do a clean install, much faster and won't bring any error's Windows has forward
  6. number13 said:
    if possible do not upgrade, do a clean install, much faster and won't bring any error's Windows has forward

Yeah I dont have a OS currently on there since I just got done building the comp. I had two options, upgrading or custom (clean install) and I did choose the custom option. As soon as I pick that option though, it does not read my HDD. In BIOS, it does recognize my HDD because when I go into 1st boot, it sees both my dvd rom and HDD
  7. if it's a clean install that's the reason that you can't do custom, you usually use that for a dual boot setup where you lready have a OS installed
  8. Hmm.. I thought the upgrade is where you already have a OS installed. And custom was so you wipe everything out and start over completely
  9. Problem solved.. Thank you for your help number13
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers CD-Rom HD Windows 7