Cant get OS to start up

ryuen76

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I just got done building my computer and was installing Win 7. I was able to obtain a product key from my school and used my friends Win 7 cd. I choose custom install and it recognized my hd. Then I entered my product key and it wasn't working. I later find out that he gave me his Win 7 Ultimate cd and I have the product key for Win 7 Pro. I then was able to get a Win 7 Pro cd from another friend and went through the same process. This time when I get prompt and choose custom, it does not recognize my hd anymore. Can anyone help me as to why this is occurring? TIA

ryuen76

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I should also add that before I was able to get the Win 7 Pro cd from my other friend, I was installing XP so I could get online to my schools website to just download Win 7 onto my computer bc at the time I wasn't sure if I was able to get my hands on a Win 7 Pro cd. I was going through the XP set up and partitioned with NTFS? In the middle of the set up, I ended up exiting out bc my friend msged me saying he had a Win 7 Pro key.

This is my first build and Im pretty lost right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ryuen76

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

I never once said I was pirating. If you read my original post, I said I got a product key from my school. My school offers free upgrade Win 7 to students.

ryuen76

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

Yeah I dont have a OS currently on there since I just got done building the comp. I had two options, upgrading or custom (clean install) and I did choose the custom option. As soon as I pick that option though, it does not read my HDD. In BIOS, it does recognize my HDD because when I go into 1st boot, it sees both my dvd rom and HDD