G

I'm having a very strange problem with my motherboard. It all started when I needed to format my HD. I put in my system boot disk into the floppy, and ran my computer, but the system just ignored the floppy and went right on into Windows.

I checked to make sure the CMOS had the floppy set to 1.44mb 3.5", and that the the boot order was A:, C:, CD-ROM. I took out the HD and hooked it up to my other system and formatted it, then put in back into the original system hoping the floppy would work, but all I got was an "Non-system disk or disk error" message. I tried everything the boot disk in my other system and it worked fine. I tried replacing the cables and floppy drive with the ones from my other system, and still got the same error message. I tried flashing the CMOS, and used many different configurations over an over to no end. No matter what I try, I can't get the floppy drive to boot from the boot disk.

Could this be a broplem with the floppy controller on the mother board? Or a BIOS problem? and short of replacing the motherboard with another board, what could I try that I haven't allready tried.

One more thing, I've tried using the HD from my other system, and it boots just fine. I tried Formatting my HD into FAT, FAT32, and NTFS, and also tried a windows boot disk I made with my other system and using my Norton ZIP disk rescue that used to work.

-Thanks in advance

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A floppy disk? What's that? Didn't they use those in the '80s? :p

If you move your floppy drive onto another computer does it work? If it doesn't it's the drive, if it does it's the controller.

Why not boot off a cd and install your OS that way?