Best Antenna To Use To Extend Wireless Range As Far as Pos..

Hi Everyone,

Ok basically what I want to do is use 1 Acess Point and entend the
range of coverage as far as possible, I have seen all the 12dbi and
15dbi antenna's around on the net, but I am not sure you can use these
and have a client connect to that antenna from their regular wireless
ard built into their laptop etc.

If I cannot use one of these, what is the higest dbi antenna I can
use, and whats the best way to place it, as high up on a roof as
possible etc?

Any help is really apprecaited.

On 5 Dec 2004 05:27:32 -0800, squarebox@squarebox.com.au (Joshua
Anderson) wrote:

>Ok basically what I want to do is use 1 Acess Point and entend the
>range of coverage as far as possible,

In one direction (point to point), in a sector, or in all directions
(omni)?

>I have seen all the 12dbi and
>15dbi antenna's around on the net, but I am not sure you can use these
>and have a client connect to that antenna from their regular wireless
>ard built into their laptop etc.

That depends where the client is located relative to the antenna. If
directly below the antenna, there is enough leakage and sidelobes to
make a tolerable connection. However, it's not reliable and subject
to extreme sensitivity to the client radios exact location. You would
be better off with a 2nd radio acting as an access point to take care
of the inside WLAN. Use a different channel (1, 6, or 11) to avoid
mutual interference.

>If I cannot use one of these, what is the higest dbi antenna I can
>use, and whats the best way to place it, as high up on a roof as
>possible etc?

How big is your roof?
http://www.w1ghz.cx/antbook/chap4.pdf
http://www.ultimatecharger.com/dish.html
Methinks a pedestal mount ham EME dish might be a bit extreme and far
too heavy. My guess is a 2 meter dish is about as large as what could
be accomidated on a roof. At 2.4GHz, with an optimized feed, that
will yield a gain of about 30dBi gain.
gain(dB) = 20 log (7.4 * 2.4 * dia)
where
dia = diameter in meters
2.4 = frequency in GHz
For a point to point link, you'll need to reduce your xmit power to
+21dBm to be FCC legal.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Joshua Anderson wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Ok basically what I want to do is use 1 Acess Point and entend the
> range of coverage as far as possible, I have seen all the 12dbi and
> 15dbi antenna's around on the net, but I am not sure you can use these
> and have a client connect to that antenna from their regular wireless
> ard built into their laptop etc.
>
> If I cannot use one of these, what is the higest dbi antenna I can
> use, and whats the best way to place it, as high up on a roof as
> possible etc?
>
> Any help is really apprecaited.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4045

Hi,

I am not really interested in setting any world records, if it went a
couple of miles I would be happy, my main question is really about the
dbi of the antennas, can I use any antenna and have wireless clients
connect using their standard wireless card, or is there a max dbi gain
I can use before it all goes haywire?

Anderson) wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>Ok basically what I want to do is use 1 Acess Point and entend the
>range of coverage as far as possible, I have seen all the 12dbi and
>15dbi antenna's around on the net, but I am not sure you can use these
>and have a client connect to that antenna from their regular wireless
>ard built into their laptop etc.
>
>If I cannot use one of these, what is the higest dbi antenna I can
>use, and whats the best way to place it, as high up on a roof as
>possible etc?
>
>Any help is really apprecaited.

You probably need to state the limits of you budget. With
unlimited $$$ you can get the "best", other wise you will need to
settle for less..

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your response.

It needs to be omni, I need to catch as much area as possible, 360
degrees if possible.

If I cannot get access directly under the antenna thats fine I will
use another AP for that area, what I really am looking for is extended
coverage in the wider vacinity.

Roof wise it will be about the standard house size, with the antenna
mounted at the highest point obviously.

I assume a dish is no good for omni, I was looking at the Dlink 15dbi
antenna:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=&pid=289

This looks ok to me, price is reasonable too, is this something I
could use?

Thanks again for your help

On 5 Dec 2004 15:24:12 -0800, squarebox@squarebox.com.au (Joshua
Anderson) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am not really interested in setting any world records, if it went a
>couple of miles I would be happy, my main question is really about the
>dbi of the antennas, can I use any antenna and have wireless clients
>connect using their standard wireless card, or is there a max dbi gain
>I can use before it all goes haywire?

An important point is where are your clients located? Are they
spread evenly around your site in all directions, or are they all
located in a specific area where a directional antenna would be
appropriate?